Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Gaming News

Notices

Gaming News Gaming News around the world.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:36 AM   #1
jfreakofkorn
Posting freak
Points: 6,847, Level: 54 Points: 6,847, Level: 54 Points: 6,847, Level: 54

jfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards 
Total Awards: 1

Nintendo heads for third consecutive annual loss as Wii U flops

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ninten...064220593.html

3 hours ago

TOKYO (Reuters) - Nintendo Co Ltd said on Friday that sales of its Wii U consoles had flopped, pushing it to a third consecutive annual loss and raising a question mark over its future in a home console market increasingly dominated by Sony Corp and Microsoft Corp.

The company that got its start making playing cards more than a century ago slashed its global Wii U sales forecast for the year to March 31 by almost 70 percent to 2.8 million units. It cut its sales forecast for its handheld 3DS to 13.5 million units from 18 million. The Wii U is the successor to its hit Wii console.

Nintendo's president, Satoru Iwata, who last year pledged to return the hobbled game maker to profit this business year, apologized to shareholders at a briefing in Osaka, but said his failure to fulfill his promise did not mean he had to resign.

"There will be no major management shake-up in the short term," Iwata told reporters.

Pressure will likely mount on the architect of the Wii success in 2006 to step aside or shift course to focus on making money from "Super Mario" and other software titles. Nintendo so far has refused to allow its games to be played on machines built by competitors or on tablets or other mobile devices that are used by gamers.

In the past the company has blamed a lack of titles for poor sales, but even its popular family-friendly games are losing out on sales to more hard-core titles like "Grand Theft Auto" played on rival machines.

"The fact that the 'Wii U strategy' has failed is disappointing and will likely trigger a sell-off as soon as the market opens," said Makoto Kikuchi, chief executive of Myojo Asset Management.

Nintendo this business year now expects an operating loss of 35 billion yen ($335.76 million) compared with an initial forecast for a 100 billion yen profit. The new estimate also falls drastically short of the average forecast of a 54.7 billion yen profit in a survey of 18 analysts by Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.

The latest warning comes just three months after the Japanese company reiterated its sales projections for the Wii U, counting on the console to revive its fortunes as Microsoft released its new XBox One and Sony released its PlayStation 4 to the public.

"We failed to reach our target for hardware sales during the year-end, when revenues are the highest," said Iwata.

In 2006, Iwata was celebrated worldwide after creating a new niche with the Wii console designed for the whole family to use rather than hardcore gamers. That success boosted Nintendo's cash pile to around $14 billion, money it will have to dip into again to help cover its latest deficit.

Nintendo on Friday also warned of a net loss of 25 billion yen for the year ending on March 31, a substantial reversal from its prior projection of a 55 billion yen profit. It now expects revenues of 590 billion yen, down 36 percent from its prior forecast. It cut its full-year dividend to 100 yen from 260 yen.

Nintendo shares have fallen almost 10 percent since hitting a two-and-a-half year high of 15,880 yen on January 10. The stock climbed 55 percent in 2013, in line with a 57 percent rally by the benchmark Nikkei average but underperforming a 91 percent surge by rival Sony.

($1 = 104.2400 Japanese yen)
jfreakofkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #2
Nintenduendo
Estupidez
Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82
User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Super Mushroom

My Mood: Cold
Nintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster NFF Annual Awards Profile of the Month Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 6

A body blow to the Wii U, no doubt, but this could open the door to a huge gain in profits, such as adding mobile and smartphone gaming to their portfolio, as many have been talking about.

Nintenduendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
Megas75
A Festive Philistine
Points: 24,456, Level: 95 Points: 24,456, Level: 95 Points: 24,456, Level: 95
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

WiiU ID: Megas75
tbf, 9 mill for the Wii U was pretty unrealistic from the start, but it's still concerning nonetheless

I'm also surprised that they lowered 3DS expectations as well, seeing as how it's outselling just about everything else
Old 01-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #4
Tanis
Zvarri
Points: 6,194, Level: 51 Points: 6,194, Level: 51 Points: 6,194, Level: 51
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Daisy Flower User owns 1x Bomb User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Tired
Tanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Brawl AM First Time Award Signature of the Month Royalty Welcome Wagon Poster Review of the Month 

3DS Friend Code: 034493603259 PSN ID: Tanis-sama WiiU ID: Peridot-sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintenduendo View Post
A body blow to the Wii U, no doubt, but this could open the door to a huge gain in profits, such as adding mobile and smartphone gaming to their portfolio, as many have been talking about.
It's almost mind boggling to think about, really. They have been so staunchly averse to embracing mobile and smartphone gaming and now Iwata comes out and says that they're considering it. Looks like Nintendo has been backed into a corner.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:47 PM   #5
eloratings
Posting freak
Points: 3,768, Level: 38 Points: 3,768, Level: 38 Points: 3,768, Level: 38
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii

My Mood: Tired
eloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to behold

Friend Codes
Quote:
...its unhappy controller/console combo…
unless Nintendo do something changing about its controller, then I would buy one.

Sorry Nintendo, I feel Wii U controller is not best suitable for me when I play their demo in NBA2k14 before.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
Nintenduendo
Estupidez

Nintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster NFF Annual Awards Profile of the Month Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster NFF Debater 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloratings View Post
unless Nintendo do something changing about its controller, then I would buy one.

Sorry Nintendo, I feel Wii U controller is not best suitable for me when I play their demo in NBA2k14 before.
Have you tried it with any other game?

Old 01-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #7
Pokeman
Good ol PT
Points: 13,996, Level: 76 Points: 13,996, Level: 76 Points: 13,996, Level: 76

My Mood: Woot
Pokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Poster 

Send a message via Skype™ to Pokeman PSN ID: Pityflame WiiU ID: Pityflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloratings View Post

The gamepad is actually pretty good, but I can see why you might not like it for a basketball game.

Kinda sucks that this is happening for them though. I kinda hope they just stick to their guns and keep things exclusive, or if they gotta do smartphone stuff just make them all ports of old games lol

Pokeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:05 PM   #8
Nintenduendo
Estupidez

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeman View Post
Kinda sucks that this is happening for them though. I kinda hope they just stick to their guns and keep things exclusive, or if they gotta do smartphone stuff just make them all ports of old games lol
Short-term, they could totally release several games through mobile/smartphone and earn some scratch from it. Long term, any handheld console would have to include smartphone-like design sensibilites; what would be most optimal is a dedicated gaming smartphone by Nintendo.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:05 PM   #9
Hakuryuu
D.D.
Points: 5,975, Level: 50 Points: 5,975, Level: 50 Points: 5,975, Level: 50
User owns 1x Warpstar

My Mood: Bored
Hakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Poster Signature of the Month Signature of the Month Princess Award 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via MSN to Hakuryuu Send a message via Skype™ to Hakuryuu 3DS Friend Code: 0044-3194-2141 PSN ID: daracakes WiiU ID: flareon
I'm not entirely surprised. It's disappointing that the Wii U is such a flop now, because it's actually a pretty good system. We really just need a better game pool.

But hey, mobile gaming isn't that bad of a route to take either.

Hakuryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:51 PM   #10
Pokeman
Good ol PT
Points: 13,996, Level: 76 Points: 13,996, Level: 76 Points: 13,996, Level: 76

My Mood: Woot
Pokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Poster 

Send a message via Skype™ to Pokeman PSN ID: Pityflame WiiU ID: Pityflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuryuu View Post
But hey, mobile gaming isn't that bad of a route to take either.
It kind of is though

edit: well if they make cools apps/ports instead of devoting into making games for smartphones, that would be cool.

Last edited by Pokeman; 01-18-2014 at 06:21 AM.
Pokeman is offline   Reply With Quote