Member Articles Members Articles

Comment

Article Tools
Link Figma Review
Link Figma Review
Published by SuperGamecube64
01-18-2014
Link Old Link Figma Review

After deciding that my video review skills for figures doesn't quite match up with those of my video game reviews, I decided to do them via text instead. Furthermore, as this site does not have a proper review section for such a thing, I will be posting them here in the articles section. Today we're going to be looking at...

Figma's Link! Please excuse any mess that may show up in the background, as I am currently reorganizing my room entirely.

Figma is a relatively new figure line, and will only be 5 years old as of January 31st, 2014. You may recognize the name of Good Smile's other figure line, Nedoroid, however. While they focus mostly on anime, they have gained a few videogame licenses from Nintendo. Aside from Link, they have also produced Samus, Pit, and Dark Pit as well as a prototype Marth.

Link is incredibly detailed, from the clean paint application to the little things like ruffles in his clothes. This particular figure is base off of his Skyward Sword appearance, but along with expertly matching that particular iteration I think this figure does an excellent job of representing Link in general. This figure is articulated very well for the most part, but there are some hindrances. Link has 360 degree ball join in each shoulder that is also hinged for inward and outward movement. The meeting point of his shirt sleeve with his shoulder perfectly covers the joint's visibility. At the elbow, Link is equipped with a dual pegged ball joint that allows for free movement both left to right and up and down. This joint is not covered, but is designed in a way that it is only minimally noticeable. His wrists are pegged and hinged, and can likewise rotate 360 degree as well as move inward and outward.

Moving south, Link has a y-joint at his hip, each leg attached with an individual ball joint. This gives his legs and excellent range of motion, however his tunic gets in the way. Due to the clothing's rubbery nature, his legs can still extend out quite a bit, however it is literally impossible for link to properly crouch or sit down. I would imagine this would make using the restroom quite an...adventure. Link's knee joint is quite similar to his elbow joints, but are completely invisible from the front. The bat, however, has them quite exposed. Luckily Link doesn't have any signature poses from which you would really be viewing him from behind. His boot can swivel 360 degrees at the knee. His feet are on double pegged ball joints that swivel side to side and up and down, and are very well blended with the rest of his boot. The toes of each boot also has a hinged joint that, while useful for certain poses, doesn't blend well and is a bit of an eyesore.

Link is also articulated in his waist, allowing him to lean slightly side to side and forward and backward. The neck can move side to side (360 if you wish) as well as allow him to look up and down. The icing on the cake is his hat articulation. Yes, hat articulation. The floppy part of Link's cap is on a peg, allowing you to turn it in any direction for some dynamic effects.

as expected, Link comes with the Master Sword and the Hylian Shield. While they look great, they're honestly a pain. To get the sword into a holding hand, you must pop off the tiny, easily loose-able butt cap of the sword (and yes, that is officially what that part of a sword is called). You must then slide the handle into the hand and replace the cap. The shield is thw worst of all. the handle comes apart into 3 pieces so that you can get it into Link's grip, and reassemble it. While this allows you to make link either right or left handed, it's just not worth the trouble.

Link also includes several extra hands, all stored on a nifty hand tree! He includes a pair of open palm hands, fists, open hands with splayed fingers, and 2 gripping has...actually, 4 gripping hands. One of those extra mirrors the pair while the 4th is made specifically for certain sword poses. It's very easy to swap the hands out - simply pop one out of Link's wrist, insert the new hand, and place the other one on the tree for safe keeping.

Also included is an extra face and hair piece. The extra face is screaming fiercely, while the hair has a wind-blown effect. These are particularly useful for making it appear as if link is in mid-swing. They have other uses as well, this is simply the most obvious one.

In order to swap his face, you must first remove the hair piece. Following this, simply remove the currently installed face plate, and install the desired face and hair.

Link also comes with a sword slash effect part to complete any attack positions you may want to display him in. This part simply slides over the end of the Maser Sword. It installs easily, and uninstalls easily as well. I am somewhat worried that it may eventually scratch the blade, however.

A Figma stand is also included with every Figma, which is a real treat since some toylines make you buy stands separately. The sands have articulated branches that can assist in making your figures take on much more active positions. Here is Link performing his signature jump slash as an example.

Another thing all Figmas include is a small bag to keep all those extra parts in. Pretty useful if I do say so myself.

As for other accessories...well, that's it. Link, the guy known for having everything short of the ability to speak doesn't come with a bomb, or a boomerang, or a bow, and that's kind of dumb. Even worse is that he only has 1 extra faceplate while most Figma's have at least 2. In the end, I'd still recommend that any fan of The Legend of Zelda purchase one of these figures while they can. Link recently got a re-release in 2013. Re-releases are very rare for Figmas, but the demand for Link was just so high they were left with no choice.

+This is the only good Link figure in existence
+Unbelievable attention to detail
+Most joints are very well hidden

-The hinged feet are ugly
-The tunic limits his leg options severely
-low accessory count

Thanks for reading, and I hope you look forward to more video game figure reviews in the future! Who am I going to review next, you ask?

Spoiler
Published by
Futtbuck Bro no.1
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64

Article Tools
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGamecube64 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
By Gareth on 01-19-2014, 06:45 AM
Great review, i wish you would come back to text reviews as i actually like reading them.
Although i understand you're so busy these days that videos can sometimes be handy.
Great non the less, covered everything and was very descriptive. Makes me want to buy one.
By SanePsychoSuper on 01-19-2014, 11:19 AM
Awesome review. I really, really want this. Like, so bad.
By SuperGamecube64 on 01-19-2014, 11:52 AM
Glad you guys like it. As for me doing text reviews for games, I just feel like video reviews work better for me in that regard, much like text seems to work better for figures.
By Brandyn on 01-19-2014, 12:28 PM
Great review. That Samus figure looks even cooler.
By ゼルダ姫 on 01-19-2014, 07:07 PM
Very excellent job, SGB. You hit all the pros and cons very well for me personally.

Definitely wouldn't mind snagging me on of these.
By SuperGamecube64 on 01-20-2014, 10:18 PM
I'm writing the Samus review tonight, but I'm not posting it until tomorrow night because I'm a buttface like that.
By Killua on 01-21-2014, 09:02 AM
Great review man, I'm so jelly ;-;
By Mario on 01-21-2014, 09:17 AM
Good review, I like your text reviews as well. That is a great figure.
By SuperGamecube64 on 01-21-2014, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killua View Post
Great review man, I'm so jelly ;-;
There is a Killua figma and I seriously considered buying one even though I've never seen that anime just so I could make meme pictures with to tease you when a convenient occasion arose. lol
Comment