Member Articles Members Articles

Comment

Article Tools
Samus Figma Review
Samus Figma Review
Published by SuperGamecube64
01-23-2014
Samus Figma Review

I'm really glad my Link review was so well received. I'll definitely keep producing these video game figure reviews for as long as the hold your interest. Today, we're taking a look at another Nintendo icon, Samus Aran.

This figure's design is based off of Samus' appearance in Metroid: Other M. As much as I hate that game, I certainly don't mind the suit's design. It definitely would have been cool if they had included some spare shoulder pauldrons to make her more closely resemble her Metroid Prime model, but I digress. This iteration of the suit will also be used in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. game, so it's sure to be relevant for some time.

The details on Samus' Varia suit is absolutely breathtaking. The whole figure has a nice metallic sheen to it - not so much that she looks completely robotic, but the light bounces off of the figure in the perfect way. The paint on her visor is particularly interesting, as it sort of looks as if it is glowing or shimmering.

Samus, like most Figmas, is very well articulated but she honestly has a whole bucket of problems since her sculpt is so unique. Her head, for starters, is very limited it range. It can rock left and right slightly as well as up and down, however it can turn left and right just enough to be useful. The shoulder joint can get some really nice range, and can rotate 360 degrees. The shoulder pauldrons themselves are actually separate and articulated! They can't do much, but they can be moved about to better reflect Samus' state of motion and show off the underside.

Samus' elbows are on a hinged joint that gets great inwad and outward motion, but nothing else. Her wrists are the standard Figma hand joints, which allow for 360 degree turns and inward/outward motion. Obviously, her canon arm lacks this...because it's a canon. Samus also sports a hinge at the waist, which has great rotation, but very little "ab crunch", a term used for forward and backward motion.

The feet feature pivot joints as well as a hinged joint at the ankle. Furthermore, there is toe articulation, and you know what? I actually like it! On a lot of figures with toe articulation, the joint looks unnatural and odd, but on Samus is just blends in with the nature of her suit to the point that you can't really tell! In fact, the nature of her suit hides almost every single joint almost flawlessly. At the knees, Samus has another hinged join that offers some very versatile range -put all the way back, her foot can reach to just above her buttocks. It doesn't have quite as much forward range due to the design of her knee armor, but legs don't bend that way anyhow, so it's not an issue.

And now we come to the worst thing about this figure...the hip joints. They are absolutely notorious in the Figma and action figure community for just being horrible. It's not the range, or visibility of joints that is the issue, though. It's the fact that these joints just pop off all the time. Almost anytime I try to do anything complex with her legs, they just sort of plop onto the table and I have to reattach them.I think it's because of her unique varia suit sculpt somehow inhibiting the functionality of the Y-joint.

Samus has a fairly low accessory count, especially since she has no faceplates. I mean, why would she need faceplates anyway? She does include 2 blast effect parts for her canon, but one of them is just a double shot and I really don't see use for it.

The worst thing about this double blast to me is that they included it, but no missile. Why? What sense does this make, especially when they include a missile launcher attachment for the canon? As expected, she also includes a Figma stand for those more actiony poses.

Samus' coolest accessory is probably the morph ball. The morph ball is just as well detailed and painted as Samus herself. It also has a small peg hole so you can use it with the figma stand...although I'm pretty sure soccer isn't what they had in mind...

Samus only includes 5 hands, since she has a canon on one arm. These hands are a fist, an open palm, and open splayed palm, her thumbs up/down hand from Other M and a gripping hand even though she has no grippable accessories herself. They of course come on a hand tree, and the figure also includes the traditional Figma bag for keeping loose parts.

There are so many downsides to this Figma, and yet it is just so accurate and detailed that I can't hate it. There have been other Samus figures in the past, but none quite match up to the quality of this one. Hopefully someone will make an aftermarket missile for her or something, because not including one was the blunder of the century. If you love Metroid, this figure is an absolutely great buy, even with its share of problems.

+Amazingly accurate sculpt
+interesting paint details
+Joints almost invisible

-faulty hip joints
-no missile?!
-articulation is somewhat limited at certain joints

what?

Oh, you expected me to make another one of those preview comics about who's next, didn't you?

WELL I DID!
Spoiler
Published by
Futtbuck Bro no.1
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64

Article Tools
Sponsored Links
By Jason on 01-23-2014, 07:49 PM
Nice tv!
By Megas75 on 01-23-2014, 08:24 PM
Really sexy figure of Samus
Spoiler
Also
EEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! RAIDEN!!!!
By Konata on 01-23-2014, 08:40 PM
Love how you have different Metroid games on in the background.
By Pokeman on 01-23-2014, 08:58 PM
lol that looks cool
By SuperGamecube64 on 01-25-2014, 12:36 AM
Should I hold off on that Raiden review until next month, or do you guys want it asap?
By Megas75 on 01-25-2014, 01:57 AM
Take your time
By SuperGamecube64 on 01-25-2014, 02:52 AM
It's easier to pump these out than a game review, honestly. The hard part is making those silly comics at the end, believe it or not (It takes up to 45 minutes to get 3 good pictures, and that's if I don't edit them for effects). I hope you guys enjoy those.
Comment