Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo DS Reviews

Notices

Nintendo DS Reviews Section for all Nintendo DS and DSI Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice for All
Published by Nintenduendo
01-23-2014
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney proved to be a surprise hit for Capcom, so it was no surprise that the masterminds behind the first game conspired to bring a sequel. Following the same path as the 2005 remaster, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice for All is the second game in the series, first released in Japan on the Game Boy Advance in 2002 and remastered for the DS in 2007. So, is this return to court good, or is it guilty of being atrocious?

Justice for All reunites gamers with Phoenix Wright in his second year in his law career as he squares off with newcomer prosecutor Franziska von Karma, daughter of a former prosecutor and devout follower of his mantra to secure a perfect win record in court. There are no shortage of crazy cases; your first case requires you to find your client innocent while suffering from amnesia, no less! From there, you'll defend your former aide, Maya Fey, from allegations of murder following a botched spirit channeling, and even return to the glitzy world of pop culture by solving a murder case surrounding the cast of a circus.

Not everything is as it seems in JFA's cases, as you may find yourself sympathizing with the perpetrators of each case, and the final case brings it's fare share of startling, but not wholly unexpected twists. The final case, too, serves as an ultimate turning point for Phoenix's character development as he wrestles with the question of what's most important: finding his clients innocent no matter the circumstance, or unveiling the truth no matter how damning it is.

Ultimately, while the first Ace Attorney instalment brought a bonus case to round its length to five cases, Justice for All pales in comparison with only four, though JFA compensates the paltry case length with longer and slightly more difficult cases.

Basic gameplay in JFA remains largely the same as its predecessor; investigate the crime scene to gather evidence and clues, then stand in court to cross-examine witnesses and not only gain an aquittal for your client, but discover the truth by bringing the true perpetrator to justice. A small, but noteworthy addition to the gameplay is the ability to present character profiles alongside evidence during investigations and in court, adding in another facet to consider with the logic the game requires of the player.

The big addition to gameplay, though, is the Psyche-Lock mechanic. During investigation, certain witnesses may have locks placed on their heart that protects the truth. Using your usual logic and evidence, you can rebut the witnesses' logic and break their locks, thereby unlocking the truth. While on paper this seems like a nutty idea, in practice it's a really fun mechanic that just adds to this series' charm.

While gameplay may seem a tick different, the graphics and sound design all maintain the same level of quality as its predecessor. While several tracks from the first instalment's soundtrack return, newer tracks add to the game's comedic, dramatic, and tense moments.

Overall, Justice for All's plotline lacks in comparison to its predecessor. However, the already-engaging gameplay is made all the more fun with the new Psyche-Lock mechanic. Couple this with the eye-catching sprite graphics and the wonderful chiptune soundtrack, and you have a worthy sequel. Ace Attorney alums will be delighted to return to the world of law with this title.
Published by
Estupidez
Nintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond repute
Sponsored Links
By Kid Dynamite on 01-23-2014, 11:06 PM
Put together pretty good Nintenduendo.
By Megas75 on 01-23-2014, 11:44 PM
The only reason this is one of my least favorite games in the series(though I still like it) is simply because of Turnabout Big Top, and even then the final case makes it worth it imo, on top of having my favorite prosecutor(even though Godot's my overall favorite character )
By Nintenduendo on 01-23-2014, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megas75 View Post
The only reason this is one of my least favorite games in the series(though I still like it) is simply because of Turnabout Big Top, and even then the final case makes it worth it imo, on top of having my favorite prosecutor(even though Godot's my overall favorite character )
I agree. I think Apollo Justice would be my least favorite if it weren't for Hobo!Nick.

Speaking of, Phoenix is still my favorite character in the entire series. He's such an enjoyable character prior to AJ, but damn if Hobo!Nick doesn't just add so much more to his character.
By Tanis on 01-24-2014, 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megas75 View Post
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that likes that case.
By Pokeman on 01-24-2014, 06:59 AM
To me this whole game was made just to be a huge setup for T&T. Without this, I doubt T&T would be as amazing as it is. That said, I too think this is the worst one in the series. Still a good game though
By Nintenduendo on 01-24-2014, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that likes that case.
It's a decent case, but it just reeks of filler between case 2 and case 4. The Steel Samurai case in PWAA was the same way but it was executed a bit better than Turnabout Big Top in my opinion.
By Killua on 01-24-2014, 09:50 AM
This is a series I've always wanted to try..nice review..
By Nintenduendo on 01-25-2014, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killua View Post
This is a series I've always wanted to try..nice review..
Definitely give it a try. The first three games are all available on the DS, WiiWare, and iOS, and I'd recommend playing the games chronologically to understand the underlying main plot.
Comment