Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Nintendo Games > Zelda Series

Notices

Old 02-02-2014, 02:11 AM   #1
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 59,828, Level: 100 Points: 59,828, Level: 100 Points: 59,828, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Lonely
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 16

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 0147-1346-8804 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: brandyn1994
Twilight Princess

I notice we don't really talk about this one. So commence the Twilight Princess discussion thread.

This is actually my favorite Zelda yet in general it isn't talked about nearly as much as Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask or Wind Waker. Any theories as to why it is seemingly so underrated?

Brandyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2014, 03:30 AM   #2
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
I like TP a lot but it's realism feels a bit forced to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
SuperGamecube64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 24,234, Level: 94 Points: 24,234, Level: 94 Points: 24,234, Level: 94
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

WiiU ID: Megas75
It introduced my favorite sidekick in the series, Midna. That's enough reason for me to love it
Old 02-02-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
Nintenduendo
Estupidez
Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82
User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Super Mushroom

My Mood: Cold
Nintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster NFF Annual Awards Profile of the Month Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 6

Twilight Princess is a great game, it just has some really niggling flaws.

The first is the forced, dark atmosphere. Nintendo really went to great lengths to make TP feel like a darker, grittier Zelda game, and after the bright cartoonish vibe of WW, that's understandable. Yet even with WW, you still had plenty of dark, unsettling moments. Really all they had to do was keep an atmosphere similar to OoT and MM to really make this game stand out.

Thus could just be a personal gripe, but the game had a lack of focus on its cast of characters. What characters should we care about? Ilia? Zelda? The resistance group? All these characters fall to the wayside near the halfway mark of the game to make room for Midna. I'm not knocking Midna, she's one of the best Zelda characters in recent memory, but she's given more attention than even one of the most primary characters. On that same point, the game builds up a very interesting villain in Zant, all for him to ultimately be pushed to the wayside for Ganondorf. This isn't the first instance that this has happened; ALttP ultimately revealed that Agahnim was merely an alter ego for Ganon to achieve his goals. But what separates the two from each other is that Zant and Ganondorf are two different characters with different goals in mind, whereas it was less shocking to have Agahnim get overthrown for Gamon because in the end the two ultimately wanted the same thing; by that logic, you can conclude Agahnim and Ganon may very well be one and the same.

To the point of gameplay, TP had a bevy of underutilized items, such as the Slingshot, the Spinner, the Ball & Chain, the Dominion Rod, and the Horse Call. They really could've built more around the use of these items, and you can partially see that intent in smaller caves and side dungeons like the Cave of Ordeals, but it really didn't feel like there was enough.

Ultimately, Twilight Princess suffers from a lack of attention on several points, but the key elements remain in place. You have the largest overworld in a 3D Zelda game (2nd largest Zelda overworld behind Zelda II, I really wish they would remake that as a 3D game), you gain the ability for sword combat while on horseback, what items you do get are really fun to use, the dungeons, while not necessarily stepping away from common Zelda tropes, are really creative, and all of the boss fights are very fun and memorable.

And the list goes on and on about how good the game is. I think what really holds the game back are those who magnify the issues of the game so they appear larger than the positive qualities, and with a game like TP it seems really easy to do that.

Nintenduendo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nintenduendo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #5
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,540, Level: 100 Points: 38,540, Level: 100 Points: 38,540, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 14

I loved TP, it's probably my 2nd favourite behind Wind Waker.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
Tanis
Zvarri
Points: 6,164, Level: 51 Points: 6,164, Level: 51 Points: 6,164, Level: 51
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Daisy Flower User owns 1x Bomb User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Tired
Tanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Brawl AM First Time Award Signature of the Month Royalty Welcome Wagon Poster Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 6

3DS Friend Code: 034493603259 PSN ID: Tanis-sama WiiU ID: Peridot-sama
Nintenduendo hit on all the points that I felt really hurt the game. Couldn't have said it much better myself. It's still one of my favorite Zeldas though.

Also, Midna dabes.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #7
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 59,828, Level: 100 Points: 59,828, Level: 100 Points: 59,828, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Lonely
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 16

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 0147-1346-8804 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: brandyn1994
Interesting analysis as usual, Ninty.
I see what you are getting at, but TP's atmosphere feels appropriate and not forced. And for all the build up, the Zant twist was hilarious though I agree he should not have been shoved aside quite so abruptly.

Brandyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
SanePsychoSuper
Basic Contradiction
Points: 3,908, Level: 39 Points: 3,908, Level: 39 Points: 3,908, Level: 39
User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Crappy
SanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to behold

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Profile of the Month Award Profile of the Month Award Signature of the Month Poster NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelorette Award Princess Award Profile of the Month Award 
Total Awards: 8

I love Twilight Princess. It is one of my favorites. I found it to be really pretty and had a lot of fun playing it.
SanePsychoSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #9
JemStar
Konata's booty
Points: 5,528, Level: 47 Points: 5,528, Level: 47 Points: 5,528, Level: 47

My Mood: Sleepy
JemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud of

Send a message via Skype™ to JemStar PSN ID: BlackChilliBean
Twilight Princess is great. I love the atmosphere, the music, the characters and the story (that I got up to so far). Unfortunately I haven't completed it yet.

"I collect, not play." - Quinten talking about My Little Pony.
JemStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:24 PM   #10
Geamerlynn
Points: 688, Level: 13 Points: 688, Level: 13 Points: 688, Level: 13

Geamerlynn will become famous soon enoughGeamerlynn will become famous soon enough

WiiU ID: GoldenViking
I kinda liked it, besides the wolf parts