Member Articles Members Articles

Comment

Article Tools
Figma Labrys Review
Figma Labrys Review
Published by SuperGamecube64
02-10-2014
Figma Labrys Review

After taking a break from Figma to take a look at Revoltech's Raiden, we're returning to Good Smile Company's figma line again to take alook at my favorite Persona character, and my main from Persona 4 Arena - Labrys.

Labrys is a 5th generation Anti-Shadow Suppresion Weapon...or to put it more simply, Labrys is a robot. While she might be artificial, her heart is anything but. She's got a spunky attitude and as many emotions as she does nuts and bolts. The first thing I noticed about this Figma was its size. Labrys is tiny! Both in height and in the general size of her features, Labrys makes just about any other figure look big!

quit pickin' on me! it's not very nice, ya know...

Labrys has articulation everywhere you'd expect, and some places you might not. The metal piece covering her hair is hinged, allowing it to move up and down, but you should be careful because the blue "wires" that connect it to her helmet piece are fragile. Her ice-like hair is on a ball joint at the ponytail that allows it to swivel as far as the "wires" will allow as well as move in and out. Her head is on a standard Figma neck joint that lets her look in any direction, including upwards and downwards to some degree. The shoulders have great rotation, and these joints are hidden exceptionally well by her clothes. Her elbows get good range, but her wrists are pretty limited. The elbow joints do show sometimes, but the robotic nature of her arms help them to not stand out too much. Labrys has a waist join that is completely hidden underneath her rubber clothes. This joint is extremely limited in motion due to her belt (which is also quite fragile). Her legs are joined via a Y-joint in the hip that get great range, and her skirt is slit on both sides so it can be moved to accommodate various positions.I'm actually impressed with the sculpt work they did on the joints - they look very mechanical, and fit in with her robotic legs perfectly. Labrys' knees are double jointed and get excellent range. When bent all the way back, they reach almost as high as her chest! I guess Labrys has long legs for someone so short. Her feet, if you can call them that, are on rockers that allow you to get them into any position needed.

Sounds like my review is going great!

I cant help but be impressed by the amount of detail on this figure. Labrys has a very simple design, but they went out of their way to make her look very interesting. There is of course the aforementioned hip joints, but her face paint applications are flawless and emotional as well. Most Figma's have a noticeable hole in their back for their stand to connect, but with Labrys they hid it by making it part of her belt. The robotic nature of the character make the hole in its chosen position negligible. They even went out of their way to give her little robot panties!

H-hey! Just whad'ya think you're showin' them anyway!

As you can gather, I'm certainly impressed with Labrys, but she isn't without problems. Her "feet" are so small that balancing her without her stand can sometimes be difficult. But there are other factors that make posing her especially challenging. the socket intended for her stand can also be used to plug in her "wings", which throws off her balance significantly. Luckily, the wings accommodate the stand as well.

Ain't they great?!

If you play P4A, then I don't even need to tell you the wings' true purpose. They are actually the blades of Labrys' signature weapon - a massive ax.

The axe can also use a Figma stand, and you're going to need one, because it is extremely heavy and unwieldy in comparison to the rest of the figure. In fact, Labrys includes 2 Figma stands so that you can attach one to her and one to the ax if needed. Labrys also includes a screaming or attacking expression to go along with her default happy one, and an extra hairpiece that has her visor pulled down.

Labry also includes one more faceplate that allows you to make her into Shadow Labrys, so if you want to get technical, she's two characters in one!

Like most Figmas, Labrys includes multiple hands all stores on a hand tree. She includes 5 grasping hands, 2 fists, 2 chopping hands and 1 open hand. She also comes with 2 chains - one made of plastic that is stuck in 1 position, and another that is an actual metal chain. If you're a Persona fan, you already know what these are used for. You can emulate Labrys' rocket punch! I can't find much use for the plastic chain - no matter what I try to do it never looks right, but the metal chain works fine. Also including is a clasp piece to attach to a stand so you can keep it suspended. Even with this help, it is incredibly annoying to get rocket punch poses correct. She comes with blast effet part to complete the attack.

We're actually not done with accesories yet! Labrys also includes another piece that can attatch to a Figma stand and allows you to insert 1 of 2 plastic displays. these 2 displays allow you to set up her gear attack from the game as well as display her with her persona, Ariadyne.

As expected, Labrys also includes a bag to store her parts, but the 2 backgrounds won't fit. Labrys actually has more going against her than for her, but do I recommend her? That's actually very situation. If you are a huge persona fan, or you really like Labrys as a character, or she is one of your P4A mains, then this figure will greatly please you. If you don't fit into one of those 3 categories, however, you may want to stay away, especially due to how hard it is getting to find her at a decent price. It is becoming more and more difficult to find Labrys for less than $80. I managed to find her on Mandarake (think Japanese eBay) for retail price, but after paying international shipping, I still didn't exactly come out on top.

+Excellent attention to detail
+High accessory count
+extremely well hidden joints

-A total pain to pose
-Limited articulation in the waist and wrists
-Very fragile
-Expensive
-Balance issues
-Ax makes balance issues worse
[/B]
Spoiler
You get to wait it out this time.

Published by
Futtbuck Bro no.1
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64

Article Tools
Sponsored Links
By Alice on 02-10-2014, 01:47 AM
I'm sure the balance issue is a major pain, but at least they included more stands to make it more bearable for the figma-fans that love their posing.
By SuperGamecube64 on 02-10-2014, 01:55 AM
I don't think there are Figma fans that don't enjoy posing. If you aren't going to change your figure's pose once in a while, you might as well buy a statue.
By Alice on 02-10-2014, 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGamecube64 View Post
I don't think there are Figma fans that don't enjoy posing. If you aren't going to change your figure's pose once in a while, you might as well buy a statue.
I think some figma-fans might treat them like some folks treat action figures. NEVER REMOVE FROM BOX.
By SuperGamecube64 on 02-10-2014, 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice-sama View Post
I think some figma-fans might treat them like some folks treat action figures. NEVER REMOVE FROM BOX.
Someone somewhere I'm sure, but every other Japanese figure collector I know, including myself, find that a waste.
Comment