Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > General Gaming

Notices

General Gaming Talk about any game from any console here.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:45 PM   #1
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 58,459, Level: 100 Points: 58,459, Level: 100 Points: 58,459, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Gaming
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 15

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
Do gamers like change or not?

This is a thread I meant to make a while ago but kept forgetting to do so.
So there is alot of franchise fatigue in the gaming world recently. The biggest and most obvious example is Call of Duty, a franchise everyone loves to hate. The biggest complaint is, "it's the same game over and over."

However, isn't that essentially why we buy sequels? Because we enjoyed the experience of the previous game and want more of the same?

I mean when you really think about it, as an example, Zelda since Ocarina of Time has basically been "the same game over and over" in regards to the core gameplay formula and structure. But people don't complain about it with Zelda because: A new Zelda is much more rare than a new Call of Duty and so people aren't jaded due to franchise fatigue, and the stories are usually good.

Then on the other side of the spectrum, there is always backlash when a franchise reboots or becomes drastically different than what it was. The very same fans that were saying "this series is getting so reptitive, bring on a change!" are now saying "this reboot looks terrible, the new character designs look like crap, do not want!" I myself have been and sometimes still am guilty of this.

What's the deal? Why do fans scream for change, then resist when developers finally listen and it happens?

Discuss.

Ultra Street Fighter IV mains: Gen, Dudley, Ryu
Tekken Revolution mains: Steve Fox, Kazuya
Tekken 6 mains: Steve Fox, Jin, Hwoarang
King of Fighters XIII team: Ryo/Kim Kaphwan/Joe
Brandyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
Gareth

This is a very stereotypical question.

How can you ask me to tell you the thoughts and opinions of EVERY gamer out there?
Or are you asking the majority? I wouldn't know because gamers don't usually have the exact same mind set that's why there are so many titles and genres.

So what this is coming down to is a psychology question (inb4 hakuryuu).

People in general are creatures of habit. They don't like people messing with there things and they like their things the way they are.
When people want change in video games its usually to improve or tweak experiences but a lot of developers go far beyond that in an effort to innovate and that's when fans get upset because the idea they were used too is gone.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #3
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 58,459, Level: 100 Points: 58,459, Level: 100 Points: 58,459, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword

Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
This is a very stereotypical question.

How can you ask me to tell you the thoughts and opinions of EVERY gamer out there?
Or are you asking the majority? I wouldn't know because gamers don't usually have the exact same mind set that's why there are so many titles and genres.

So what this is coming down to is a psychology question (inb4 hakuryuu).

People in general are creatures of habit. They don't like people messing with there things and they like their things the way they are.
When people want change in video games its usually to improve or tweak experiences but a lot of developers go far beyond that in an effort to innovate and that's when fans get upset because the idea they were used too is gone.

Just asking the majority but feel free to go psychological on us.
To keep the ball rolling you mentioned humams are inherently creatures of habit, so why do you think some gamers adamantly demand change if they aren't going to like it?

As for my personal two cents, I feel like it comes down to some sort of subconscious need to complain about something.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
Hakuryuu
Chico be quiet
Points: 5,917, Level: 49 Points: 5,917, Level: 49 Points: 5,917, Level: 49
User owns 1x Warpstar

My Mood: Bored
Hakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Poster Signature of the Month Signature of the Month Princess Award 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via MSN to Hakuryuu Send a message via Skype™ to Hakuryuu 3DS Friend Code: 0044-3194-2141 PSN ID: daracakes WiiU ID: flareon
I think most people like consistency. People like to have a set of things that follow a direct route. For example, you wake up, make a cup of coffee, and go to school. That's your routine every single day. One day, you realize someone has changed your brand of coffee. That throws an entire kink into your consistent lifestyle.

Gamers are the same way... if not a bit extreme about it. There's a bit of loyalty and nostalgia involved with gamers. I've been playing Zelda for years. If all of a sudden the game takes place in the year 2030...I'd be a bit upset myself. There are minor things in Zelda that need to be changed, but we don't need it to take a new route.

To me, gamers don't know what they really *want* at times. Like Brandyn said, they scream for change and when the developers do the change that they understood the populace wanted, people complain. Not much of a happy medium is there?

Hakuryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #5
ゼルダ姫
aka - Shiiku
Points: 1,908, Level: 26 Points: 1,908, Level: 26 Points: 1,908, Level: 26
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Nunchuck User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic

My Mood: Inspired
ゼルダ姫 is a jewel in the roughゼルダ姫 is a jewel in the roughゼルダ姫 is a jewel in the roughゼルダ姫 is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Profile of the Month Award NFF Old Man Award Princess Award 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to ゼルダ姫 WiiU ID: Shiiku
Very good topic indeed.

People like to see change. It's an essential part of life, and each day something changes whether we like it or not. Some of those changes we're in control of.
We are always looking for something new and different after a while. This isn't just related to gaming. We get something new, and eventually have to get something new again.

Yet at the same time we do contradict ourselves. We desire a newness or change, but then complain about the outcome. But then again not everyone will complain. Some just go with the flow better, or are more open minded than others. Some are just really stuck in their ways and want to keep it as close to what we adapted to in the first place. (Like myself)

I've mainly been guilty of complaining when a change is brought as oppose to complaining about change up, but I will say I've been guilty of both. I'd love to see something new and different for all the games/franchises out there I love, but at the same time I believe I'd go into an OCD attack if a game series I love went "too far" with a change. (Like Zelda for example) Or maybe that's just a matter of opinion? Maybe it comes down to just being "in the eye of the beholder".

Keeping with the roots is always essential when making new things for a series/franchise. And it's also for the most part usually done as you stated.

New things should always be tried. Certain games are always going to be the same because of their nature and design to begin with, so there is only so much change you can do with some. Others can take on change better because of their elements and such. And even though we may complain, I think majority of the crowd does come around eventually, or has it grow on them. I know I've felt like this.

It could be a number of things really.
ゼルダ姫 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,061, Level: 100 Points: 38,061, Level: 100 Points: 38,061, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

If it makes it better I like it, it if makes it worse I don't.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #7
Misdirection
Dragon Tamer
Points: 902, Level: 16 Points: 902, Level: 16 Points: 902, Level: 16
User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x SNES Controller

My Mood: Paranoid
Misdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really nice

PSN ID: Sonikku1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
This is a thread I meant to make a while ago but kept forgetting to do so.
So there is alot of franchise fatigue in the gaming world recently. The biggest and most obvious example is Call of Duty, a franchise everyone loves to hate. The biggest complaint is, "it's the same game over and over."

However, isn't that essentially why we buy sequels? Because we enjoyed the experience of the previous game and want more of the same?

I mean when you really think about it, as an example, Zelda since Ocarina of Time has basically been "the same game over and over" in regards to the core gameplay formula and structure. But people don't complain about it with Zelda because: A new Zelda is much more rare than a new Call of Duty and so people aren't jaded due to franchise fatigue, and the stories are usually good.

Then on the other side of the spectrum, there is always backlash when a franchise reboots or becomes drastically different than what it was. The very same fans that were saying "this series is getting so reptitive, bring on a change!" are now saying "this reboot looks terrible, the new character designs look like crap, do not want!" I myself have been and sometimes still am guilty of this.

What's the deal? Why do fans scream for change, then resist when developers finally listen and it happens?

Discuss.
Well, gamers may not necessarily like change, but that is not always the case. It depends on the person playing it, and what they changed. If somebody doesn't like a new mechanic or something new added too a game, whatever it may be, it will be poorly received by people who enjoyed that part of the game. Zelda is not a good example of repetition in gameplay, but it is a good example of gamer's opinions. Some people despise Majora's Mask because of the mechanics, and others adore it simply because of those same mechanics. Same thing with Wind Waker and it's art style.
If you want an example of why fans of a franchise hate reboots:

PREPPARE TA DAA

Last edited by Misdirection; 02-23-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Misdirection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #8
Brandyn
The Gentleman

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdirection View Post
Well, gamers may not necessarily like change, but that is not always the case. It depends on the person playing it, and what they changed. If somebody doesn't like a new mechanic or something new added too a game, whatever it may be, it will be poorly received by people who enjoyed that part of the game. Zelda is not a good example of repetition in gameplay, but it is a good example of gamer's opinions. Some people despise Majora's Mask because of the mechanics, and others adore it simply because of those same mechanics. Same thing with Wind Waker and it's art style.

While it's true that change isn't always for the better, many fans refuse to give something a chance because of it.

I haven't played DmC, but from what I understand, the core gameplay is amazing and people just can't get past the new Dante as all (though I would agree that personality wise he sucks compared to the original. )

We've all poked fun at the new Knuckles but in all honesty it's not unbearable and it doesn't mean Sonic Boom will suck.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #9
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 23,488, Level: 94 Points: 23,488, Level: 94 Points: 23,488, Level: 94
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

WiiU ID: Megas75
It really depends on execution, like everything usually does in the gaming community. Of course gamers will always be wary of change, but in the end of the day they'll embrace change if said change is handled really well. Sure there are changes that will turn people off, a good example being Bomberman Act Zero, the Medal of Honor reboot and the recent DmC reboot(though I'll elaborate on that later). On the other hand there are changes that are embraced by gamers because developers handled them with great care, such as Starfox 64(which was a reboot of the original) or Megaman Legends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdirection View Post

tbf, I think one of the biggest reason why DmC is hated is because how Ninja Theory handled the backlash, where Tameen just kept antagonizing the DMC fanbase. When you make fans of a franchise very upset with changes like with the DmC reboot, the last thing you want to do is to tell those fans to **** off. And that hair scene in DmC doesn't help their case either(I think Angry Joe explained this the best).
Though I agree, the gameplay is still pretty good, but new Dante sucks balls.

As for Knuckles, the game/cartoon hasn't come out yet, but as long as they don't ruin the character, I think I can stomach the new design, even if it does look ridiculous
Old 02-24-2014, 02:05 PM   #10
Alice
Princess of NFF~
Points: 32,489, Level: 100 Points: 32,489, Level: 100 Points: 32,489, Level: 100
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Artistic
Alice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Member of the Month NFF Old Man Award NFF Annual Awards Level 100 Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Royalty Welcome Wagon Joker 
Total Awards: 14

Send a message via MSN to Alice Send a message via Skype™ to Alice 3DS Friend Code: 3711-7997-2642 Xbox Live Gamertag: ArktikAlice
Let me tell you all a story:

I was looking up games on Gamefly to see what I might like to check out, and I noticed a Spyro game called Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon on the X-box 360. I was telling my friend Maximilian about this, who grew up with almost nothing but Spyro due to his family not being to accepting of video games due to pricing. He lost his cool due to the game not being a Playstation exclusive, as it always was when he was growing up, and the fact that the series was picked up again, as opposed to being a relic of the past, his past.

He was not accepting of this 'reboot', which is about all I can call it.

Let me tell you my story.

I've spent my entire life playing Nintendo games, and there are two series that I love more than any other, Pokemon and Metroid. After growing up with Metroid: Fusion and Metroid: Zero Mission, I checked out some other titles, including the Prime series and Super Metroid, the 2D ones appealing more to me than the Prime series. When I heard of Metroid: Other M making its way to the world, I was stoked, reading that it was meant to bring back the nostalgic play of the older Metroid titles, though I didn't expect much given that retreaux design had faded in interest. Needless to say, I bought it and was relatively disappointed with the result. However, I gave the game a chance, knowing that it wouldn't recapture my childhood, but might be worth a shot.

It all boils down to the person, honestly.
For all Maximilian knows, the new Spyro could be JUST like the older titles he grew up with. As far as I knew, Metroid: Other M could've been nothing like the older Metroid titles.

Gamers just need to be willing to experiment with games, just as developers do.

(Though I have no idea why Nintendo trusted Team Ninja with the project. WHose idea was it to say 'Hey, you know who should make the next Metroid game? Those guys that make really good jiggle physics.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth
I spend many lonely nights wishing Alice would lock me in my bedchamber and pleasure me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderRebelNews via Skype
There are too few hours in a day for things like 'eating'
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote