Member Articles Members Articles

Comment

Article Tools
D-Arts Charizard Review
D-Arts Charizard Review
Published by SuperGamecube64
02-27-2014
D-Arts Charizard Review

I let you guys decide which D-arts Pokemon figure I would review first, and you went with disappointment Venasaur. So after that depressing review, I decided to move on to a much less disheartening figure, the fan favorite of generation I - Charizard!

The first thing you're going to notice about Charizard is how massive his box is. This is due to his win and tailspan. The box is easily twice the size of other Pokemon D-Arts figures. As you probably guessed, just like venusaur the box does not say Charizard. Instead it uses his Japanese name, "Lizardon". I mentioned this in Venusaur's review as well, but I really do like the box art for this line, and it's one of the few lines I'd have no problem with someone displaying completely boxed.

Charizard has such amazing paintwork that I don't even know where to begin. You probably can't see it in the pictures, but this figure features some phenomenal shading that just really makes it pop. Even the promotional shots don't seem to showcase this, so you'll just have to take my weird that it looks even better in person. My Charizard does have 1 tiny paint error on his left wing, something typical of the D-Arts line, but I'm not going to complain about it too much. At least his wing isn't snapped like the certain part of a certain plant dinosaur Pokemon...

Charizard includes a Tamashe stage and an arm that can hook into the stage to support a fire effect part. As you can see, Charizard features that awesome jaw articulation that I lvoed so much on Venusar, but takes it a step further. Charizard's jaw has a lot more range for starters, but on top of that, his tongue is a separate articulated piece of plastic! Charizard's feet are on ball joints and his knees can swivel a little. at the thigh, his legs are also apparently ball jointed. You are unlikely to ever really move any of these joints, though, as most poses you would have Charizard in are quite stationary. Charizard features more ball joints at the shoulder, elbow, and wrist, and his stubby arms actually have a pretty good range of motion. The neck has triple ball joints, with the join between the neck and head being a giant swivel ball joint, meaning Charizard can just about any direction you want. The tail has similar articulation, but is very limited in range of motion, so you aren't going to be able to bring the tail full circle or anything. On the one hand, I would love this kind of tail articulation, but on the other hand I can easily see that they wouldn't be able to do that without cutting up the sculpt much more than they already have. The wings are ball joints where they attach at the back with the 2 joints at the mi-wing being hinges. These hinges tend to either be weak out of the box, or loose their strength over time, and it really hinders their outward range.

GRAWR!("You not has enough badges to train me!)

Charizard does include 1 final accessory - a clip that can attach to the end of the arm on the Tamashe stage. Charizard is well balanced, so it's obviously not to stabilize him with. One would assume that this part is to make him fly! The problem is that is impossible unless you steal another arm and clasp from some other figure. This is the best I was able to get using this method, and it weight down on the arms a lot.

Charizard does have his downsides, but at the end of it all he's still pretty spectacular. The D-Arts line has been discontinued, so they're getting difficult to come by. Charizard, as you may have guessed, is the most popular Pokemon in the entire line, so good luck finding him for less than $70-$80.

+awesome shading
+Jaw and tongue articulation!
+He's huge

-Weak wing hinges
-limited tail movement
-Flying poses are difficult

You want to know who's next, don't you?

Well fine...

Spoiler
Published by
Futtbuck Bro no.1
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64

Article Tools
Sponsored Links
By Mable on 02-27-2014, 07:47 AM
I'd never pay that much for an action figure, but it looks cool.
By SanePsychoSuper on 02-27-2014, 12:11 PM
Good review. He looks really nice. I'd be too worried I'd get a not too great one to get one at that price.
By Konata on 02-27-2014, 03:04 PM
The flying really does suck with this, the stands make it look horrible.
By JemStar on 02-28-2014, 05:57 PM
It looks awesome, I probably wouldn't move it around much though. Nice review.
By Alice on 03-12-2014, 03:00 PM
The flying stand makes it look like it's being restrained.
Still, nicely spoken.
Comment