Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Other Reviews

Notices

Other Reviews Playstation, Xbox, PC, or any other console game Review. Also console reviews too

Comment

Review Tools
Star Ocean: Till The End Of Time
Published by Kid Dynamite
03-04-2014
Author review
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
90%90%90%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 95%

Released in 2003 by Square-Enix, this installment in the popular series would prove to be just one more awesome piece of work. It contains some of the same classic style from the earlier titles such as a customizable battle commands like "Killer Moves." Also, there are"Private Actions" and the beloved "Item Creation". The sound is out of this world, and the graphics kick ass! You also have the option to adjust the game difficulty if you please. At the very beginning of the game you meet one of your future party members. The game takes you to what is called the "Battle Simulator". This is an excellent way to learn the new things about battle in this game. I recommend familiarizing yourself with it. It does really help. Make an effort to strike up a conversation with many, many various characters. Some main events will not occur or end until you speak with everyone in the given area. There are a lot of secrets in this game. So many in fact, it's tough as Hell to locate them all unless you have a strategy guide and a computer which we all obviously have here. The enemies in this game are smarter than they were in the Star Ocean: The Second Story for the PS1 were. They drop low numbers of Fol for the most part. They really make you work for the win. Not a whole bunch of 1-hit kills like you would see in a Final Fantasy game. This game offers trophies and completion points earned by accomplishing certain tasks and taking part in "Private Actions". Private Actions are basically events that take place in between main missions. They are basically little scenarios that occur in towns and stuff. Like 2 members standing outside the inn discussing life in the middle of the night while the rest of the party sleeps. They do offer many pluses so pay attention to every one. Some lead to obtaining certain special weapons and "Item Creation" materials that you can't find anywhere else in the game!

Just as it was in SO:TSS, the more spells and killer moves a party member uses, the more intense they will become. The damage they do will increase and the graphics will become more enhanced. You aren't committed to just use one member as your main attacker while the others are run by AI. During battle you can switch between members for you to take manual control of. In battle there is a feature called "Bonus Battle". On the right of the battle screen there is a "Battle Guage". As long as it's not a 0% each hit landed on an enemy increases it's level. If you keep your attacks in a chain until the gauge reaches full capacity (6000 points I believe.)it will trigger a "Bonus Battle". During this phase each action you take such as casting a spell, using a weak or strong attack, or a battle skill will give you bonuses such as increased fol or triple experience. You must keep the chain of attacks going or the gauge will head back to zero and you must build it up again. You're not obligated to use it. It just really makes life easier though. A trick I leaned to raise the gauge faster is to attack with the character you control, then quickly switch to another member and repeat this process until all members have had their turn. This helps keep the gauge from dropping.

What's really important about this installment is that they have added a little twist to the item creation. It works pretty much the same as it was in the previous titles, except that this time the party can have the aid of a master to assist them in creating items. (In SO:TSS all you had to do was choose either one character to create an item or all members at once to create items of greater value.) They don't help you out of the goodness of their hearts I can assure you. Some will require money, items or both in exchange for their expertise. Unless you go online to get help you must listen to townsfolk and every word said in private actions for clues on where to find these masters. They're scattered all over the world. They greatly increase your chances of successful item creation. Each master has some special items that they and only they can create. If the master's specialty is cooking, have only your party members who have a talent for cooking help him. It makes it much easier to create successfully. Each character in the game has talents that are randomly generated before the main game begins. Luck of the draw type thing. One real plus is that you can create items that can add special abilities to your weapons by fusion. A lot of materials have special traits. A fire based item or accessory when fused to a sword adds a fire based attack property to the given weapon. Other items when fused can increase a member's number of attacks per round. Mix and match. The combos are many! The number of various weapons, armor, jewels, and raw materials is staggering. I was blown away when I saw how many of each there are! One drawback of item creation is that it's expensive. Very expensive. Maybe selling some items you have created for some quick scratch might help pay the bills. Lastly, this game has a "Golden Saucer" rip off for you. There are battle arenas, games, bunny racing, you name it. There are also several bonus dungeons. If you are looking for a LONG but awesome quest, look no further.

WIKI:
http://starocean.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Ocean_Wiki

Published by
Über Zealot
Kid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud of
Sponsored Links
By AlloftheAbove on 03-05-2014, 03:59 AM
It's nice that you wanted to show us what the music sounds like, but autoplay videos are annoying in reviews, threads, and on any website that isn't YouTube, basically. But anyway, I remember my friend playing this game when we were growing up. He seemed to really enjoy it, so when I saw it for cheap, I decided to buy it. Really couldn't get past the initial stages of the game, with the awful voice acting and irrelevant fetch quests. Turned me off it almost entirely, but I've been meaning to give it another go.
By Kid Dynamite on 03-05-2014, 04:52 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
90%90%90%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 95%
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloftheAbove View Post
It's nice that you wanted to show us what the music sounds like, but autoplay videos are annoying in reviews, threads, and on any website that isn't YouTube, basically. But anyway, I remember my friend playing this game when we were growing up. He seemed to really enjoy it, so when I saw it for cheap, I decided to buy it. Really couldn't get past the initial stages of the game, with the awful voice acting and irrelevant fetch quests. Turned me off it almost entirely, but I've been meaning to give it another go.
You really should. There's always something new to find.
Comment