Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > General Chat > WorldWide News, Politics & Religion

Notices

WorldWide News, Politics & Religion Title Says It All

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
Spirit
Points: 1,866, Level: 25 Points: 1,866, Level: 25 Points: 1,866, Level: 25
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather

My Mood: Angelic
Spirit is on a distinguished road

Stand Up to Cancer telethon takes over network TV

By SANDY COHEN

LOS ANGELES (AP) - After seeing what "An Inconvenient Truth" did for environmental awareness, Hollywood producer Laura Ziskin wanted to make a documentary about cancer, a disease she has fought since 2004.

Former Paramount Pictures chief Sherry Lansing, who established a namesake foundation dedicated to cancer research and awareness, was working with television networks to put on a cancer-awareness TV special. So was Katie Couric, who has been an advocate for early cancer screenings - and even televised her own colonoscopy - since losing her husband to colon cancer 10 years ago.
So the women got together - along with other entertainment-industry execs and more than 60 of their famous friends - to create Stand Up to Cancer, a fund- and awareness-raising organization set to hold an unprecedented, star-studded live telethon airing simultaneously on ABC, NBC and CBS on Friday night.
"I jokingly say I have to make cancer awareness entertaining," said Ziskin, who is producing the show at Hollywood's Kodak Theater. "The good news is that the Entertainment community gets it. We're touched. Look at Patrick Swayze. Look at Christina Applegate. Look at Robin Roberts.

"Cancer is not in the closet anymore, and now that it's out of the closet we have to motivate the public to demand that as a country we do better," she continued. "And if the country won't do it, we'll do it. We'll raise money ourselves and try to spend that money in a way that will lead to better, less toxic treatments that we can get to patients more quickly."
Applegate, who recently underwent a double mastectomy after being diagnosed with breast cancer, is among those set to help deliver the message Friday. She'll be joined by scores of other stars from TV, music and film, including Halle Berry, Forest Whitaker, America Ferrera, Jack Black, Salma Hayek, James Taylor, Carrie Underwood and Rob Lowe.
Celebrities will share their personal experiences with the disease and will help answer phone calls from donors, Ziskin said.

The hourlong show also will include a performance of "Just Stand Up," a charity song featuring Mariah Carey, Mary J. Blige, Beyonce, Rihanna, Fergie, Miley Cyrus, Underwood and others.
Couric and her fellow network news anchors, Charles Gibson and Brian Williams, are set to host the show.

The aim of Stand Up to Cancer is to raise funds for "translational research," Ziskin said, which encourages scientists to collaborate rather than compete, translating basic science into applicable therapies for patients. She compared the approach to the Manhattan project. "We took the best and brightest and locked them up in Los Alamos and said you can't leave until you split the atom and create, unfortunately, a bomb," Ziskin said. "This is no less a problem, with half a million Americans a year dying from this disease. If we take best and brightest, encourage them and reward them for working together, the answers will come much more quickly."

Beings of a lesser understanding or lower vibration will either be totally confused by their content or otherwise interpret them as negative information (dissonance) and will react as such. So disregard any comments that do not resonate as positive to you.

Last edited by Spirit; 09-05-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
Wiidude
One Cool Dude
Points: 10,571, Level: 68 Points: 10,571, Level: 68 Points: 10,571, Level: 68
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Nunchuck User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel

My Mood: Cool
Wiidude is a jewel in the roughWiidude is a jewel in the roughWiidude is a jewel in the roughWiidude is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty 
Total Awards: 2

That is tonight right?
Old 09-05-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
Princess Elle
Nintendo King/Queen
Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83

Princess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Yoshi Sheriff Medic Princess Award Poster NFF Promoter 
Total Awards: 8

Send a message via ICQ to Princess Elle Send a message via AIM to Princess Elle Send a message via MSN to Princess Elle Send a message via Yahoo to Princess Elle Send a message via Skype™ to Princess Elle PSN ID: ElleFan98 Xbox Live Gamertag: Willgetonesoon
Yay, I cant wait! Yeah, It's tonight at 8pm! You gotta watch it!
Sometimes we fall...so
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus and live!
- Untitled Hymn (Come To Jesus) -
-Chris Rice-
Old 09-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
Wiidude
One Cool Dude
Points: 10,571, Level: 68 Points: 10,571, Level: 68 Points: 10,571, Level: 68
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Nunchuck User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel

My Mood: Cool
Wiidude is a jewel in the roughWiidude is a jewel in the roughWiidude is a jewel in the roughWiidude is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty 
Total Awards: 2

wondering if this is a live event.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
Princess Elle
Nintendo King/Queen

Princess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Yoshi Sheriff Medic Princess Award Poster NFF Promoter 

Send a message via ICQ to Princess Elle Send a message via AIM to Princess Elle Send a message via MSN to Princess Elle Send a message via Yahoo to Princess Elle Send a message via Skype™ to Princess Elle PSN ID: ElleFan98 Xbox Live Gamertag: Willgetonesoon
It is... I know because its gonna be filmed a few blocks away from my house. Elle will be there.

Buy off their Ebay account. Then you can be in a movie and donate to a good cause
Sometimes we fall...so
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus and live!
-Chris Rice-
Old 09-05-2008, 03:34 PM   #6
Mario
Just Chillaxin
Points: 52,737, Level: 100 Points: 52,737, Level: 100 Points: 52,737, Level: 100
User owns 1x Blue Shell User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Links Shield User owns 1x Gold Coin
User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Red Pikmin

My Mood: Gaming
Mario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF's 4th Annual Award Monster Poster NFF Old Man Award NFF 3rd Annual Award Royalty Level 100 Award Mufasa NFF 1st Annual Award 
Total Awards: 9

3DS Friend Code: 4450-2343-3333 WiiU ID: test123
That is cool...I'll be traveling to the Biltmore Estate tonite so maybe I'll catch some of it in the hotel.

Started from the bottom, now we're here.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:43 PM   #7
smashfan120
Sir Smash
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Blue Shell User owns 1x Golden Mushroom

smashfan120 We have a Nintendo Fan in the Making

Awards Showcase
Royalty NFF 1st Annual Award SSBB Tourney Winner Game Reviewer SSBB Tourney Winner 
Total Awards: 5

Send a message via AIM to smashfan120 PSN ID: anthonyx101
Im gonna watch it.There are so many celebs listed there.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:57 PM   #8
Spirit

Research Dr. Hulda Clark and the Zapper. Royal Raymond Rife another person who could cure a bunch of cancers. All technology supressed so the elite can keep making money. It makes no sense in there eyes to cure cancer free. It is a money machine. Would be great if a celebrity would talk about that! Send shock waves to Big Shots. It is so sad that so many people have to die so that a few can get extremely rich.

You make more money treating cancer then you do curing it.

Beings of a lesser understanding or lower vibration will either be totally confused by their content or otherwise interpret them as negative information (dissonance) and will react as such. So disregard any comments that do not resonate as positive to you.

Last edited by Spirit; 09-05-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:54 PM   #9
Princess Elle
Nintendo King/Queen

Awards Showcase

Look! Its the Just Stand Up song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_UGsPVeGdo
Sometimes we fall...so
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus and live!
-Chris Rice-
Old 09-08-2008, 11:43 AM   #10
Spirit

I was not impressed with the song. I missed a bunch of it. Did anyone bring up the fact that "You make more money treating cancer then you do curing it."

Closed Thread