Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Nintendo Games > Mario Series

Notices

Old 03-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #1
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 58,996, Level: 100 Points: 58,996, Level: 100 Points: 58,996, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Lonely
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 15

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
White Tanooki Suit

I just finished Super Mario 3D Land (well, the first half of it, on Special World 2 now). I thoroughly enjoyed it, it's actually up there with my favorite Super Mario titles.

I've been out of touch with the Super series since Galaxy 1 truth be told. What's up with these noob friendly mechanics? Same with Super Kong in the new Donkey Kong Country games.

Granted, you have the option not to use it. But most little kids have little to no will power if a game offers them an easy way out. No wonder the iGeneration of gamers feels so entitled to win these days.

Nintendo/PlayStation Network ID: Brandyn_Johnson

Ultra Street Fighter IV mains: Gen, Dudley, Ryu
Tekken Revolution mains: Paul, Steve
Tekken 6 mains: Paul, Steve, Hwoarang
King of Fighters XIII team: Ryo/Kim/Joe
Brandyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2014, 08:09 PM   #2
Mable
Pines
Points: 3,140, Level: 34 Points: 3,140, Level: 34 Points: 3,140, Level: 34
User owns 1x Poke Doll

Mable has a spectacular aura aboutMable has a spectacular aura aboutMable has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month Review of the Month Princess Award News Reporter Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 5

I know right?
Mable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 58,996, Level: 100 Points: 58,996, Level: 100 Points: 58,996, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword

Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mable View Post
I know right?
Plus these new games shower you with so many coins and free men it's impossible to lose, really. I didn't once get a game over.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #4
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,268, Level: 100 Points: 38,268, Level: 100 Points: 38,268, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

As long as the game is fun it's okay right.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:49 PM   #5
Pokeman
Good ol PT
Points: 13,897, Level: 76 Points: 13,897, Level: 76 Points: 13,897, Level: 76

My Mood: Woot
Pokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via Skype™ to Pokeman PSN ID: Pityflame WiiU ID: Pityflame
I don't think the point of these games are to be hard in the first place, but they could raise the amount of deaths required for white tanooki to appear though.

Pokeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #6
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeman View Post
I don't think the point of these games are to be hard in the first place, but they could raise the amount of deaths required for white tanooki to appear though.
Donkey Kong country was always sort of hard.

Anyway, my real problem with them is that kids are going to get frustrated and utilize them and they'll grow up sore losers forever and never get any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
SuperGamecube64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:19 PM   #7
Nintenduendo
Estupidez
Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82
User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Super Mushroom

My Mood: Cold
Nintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster NFF Annual Awards Profile of the Month Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 6

This isn't a new mechanic.

Super Mario Bros. 3 had Lakitu's Cloud that could bypass entire levels. It also had the Music Box so you wouldn't have to fight any of the Hammer/Sumo/Fire/Boomerang Bros. on the map. And let's not forget the P-Wing that provided an endless supply of power to fly, provided you didn't get hit by an enemy while using it.

Super Mario World had Yoshi Wings, and while its level-skipping properties were disguised with a bonus level to collect coins/Dragon Coins, it was still present.

What's the difference, honestly? Yes, the White Tanooki Suit is presented to you after losing a set amount of lives in a level, but the game doesn't say WELP YOU SUCK MAJOR DICK AT THIS GAME SO TELL YOU WHAT WE'RE GONNA ASSUME YOU'RE 4 YEARS OLD AND FORCE YOU TO USE THIS.

Just like with all the other items, what it boils down to is choice. Players have a choice to use the White Tanooki Suit, or the Lakitu's Cloud, or the Yoshi Wings. And if they do, fine on them; there's a reason they put it in there. What everyone conveniently forgets is that some players don't like dying repeatedly until they finally reach the end of the level, and if they have no way out, why keep playing? You just lost a player and a future customer. These insta-wins are, in my opinion, the developer's way of saying "look, you may want this, you may not. I'm not gonna tell you what to do, but you died a lot and to keep you from getting more frustrated, we want to give you this to go forward and enjoy the rest of the game."

Nothing about any of this puts a gun against the player's head and forces them to use it, but nothing about insta-wins tells the player not to try the level again when they've progressed farther in the game and have gained more skill.

The developers shouldn't be held liable for putting insta-wins in the game, since pretty much every single one I've ever seen is purely optional. And saying that it breeds poor skills sells so many players short. You can't say for sure that that's what insta-wins do to players.

Nintenduendo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nintenduendo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2014, 11:45 PM   #8
Brandyn
The Gentleman

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintenduendo View Post
This isn't a new mechanic.

Super Mario Bros. 3 had Lakitu's Cloud that could bypass entire levels. It also had the Music Box so you wouldn't have to fight any of the Hammer/Sumo/Fire/Boomerang Bros. on the map. And let's not forget the P-Wing that provided an endless supply of power to fly, provided you didn't get hit by an enemy while using it.

Super Mario World had Yoshi Wings, and while its level-skipping properties were disguised with a bonus level to collect coins/Dragon Coins, it was still present.

What's the difference, honestly? Yes, the White Tanooki Suit is presented to you after losing a set amount of lives in a level, but the game doesn't say WELP YOU SUCK MAJOR DICK AT THIS GAME SO TELL YOU WHAT WE'RE GONNA ASSUME YOU'RE 4 YEARS OLD AND FORCE YOU TO USE THIS.

Just like with all the other items, what it boils down to is choice. Players have a choice to use the White Tanooki Suit, or the Lakitu's Cloud, or the Yoshi Wings. And if they do, fine on them; there's a reason they put it in there. What everyone conveniently forgets is that some players don't like dying repeatedly until they finally reach the end of the level, and if they have no way out, why keep playing? You just lost a player and a future customer. These insta-wins are, in my opinion, the developer's way of saying "look, you may want this, you may not. I'm not gonna tell you what to do, but you died a lot and to keep you from getting more frustrated, we want to give you this to go forward and enjoy the rest of the game."

Nothing about any of this puts a gun against the player's head and forces them to use it, but nothing about insta-wins tells the player not to try the level again when they've progressed farther in the game and have gained more skill.

The developers shouldn't be held liable for putting insta-wins in the game, since pretty much every single one I've ever seen is purely optional. And saying that it breeds poor skills sells so many players short. You can't say for sure that that's what insta-wins do to players.
You made some good points, but I can't say I fully agree with those last couple sentences. True, gamers like you and I, and most people on this site were offered such mechanics, but not on a silver platter. And we didn't quit gaming over it.

My grievance isn't so much jealous that these new gamers have it easy as it is the effects it has on them and their sense of entitlememt to victory. Too many gamers online don't know how to take a kill/loss like a man. That's why rage quitting is such an epidemic.

From a business standpoint it makes logical sense that long as they keep winning they will keep coming back, but it isn't as rewarding-feeling in the long run. It's just satisfying the need for insant gratification.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:54 PM   #9
Nintenduendo
Estupidez
Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82
User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Super Mushroom

My Mood: Cold
Nintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster NFF Annual Awards Profile of the Month Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You made some good points, but I can't say I fully agree with those last couple sentences. True, gamers like you and I, and most people on this site were offered such mechanics, but not on a silver platter. And we didn't quit gaming over it.

My grievance isn't so much jealous that these new gamers have it easy as it is the effects it has on them and their sense of entitlememt to victory. Too many gamers online don't know how to take a kill/loss like a man. That's why rage quitting is such an epidemic.

From a business standpoint it makes logical sense that long as they keep winning they will keep coming back, but it isn't as rewarding-feeling in the long run. It's just satisfying the need for insant gratification.
I think there's something more underlying about rage-quitting than not being able to take the loss like a man. If I'm getting frustrated, I'm gonna turn my game off. Better to shut off the source of my immediate stress than forge on, even if the cost for doing so is loss of reputation among fellow online players and any online EXP points I rack up during online play.

Instant gratification is all fine and well, but like I said it's up to the player how the handle themselves after using the insta-win. Do they eventually go back and overcome the obstacle on their own, or do they play on? I don't find fault with either decision they choose.

Nintenduendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #10
JemStar
Konata's booty
Points: 5,528, Level: 47 Points: 5,528, Level: 47 Points: 5,528, Level: 47

My Mood: Sleepy
JemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud of

Send a message via Skype™ to JemStar PSN ID: BlackChilliBean
When I was a kid I never completed a game because they were just too hard for me.
Granted, I did suck at them.

"I collect, not play." - Quinten talking about My Little Pony.
JemStar is offline   Reply With Quote