Member Articles Members Articles

Comment

Article Tools
Top Ten Blades in gaming
Top Ten Blades in gaming
Published by Misdirection
03-15-2014
Top Ten Blades in gaming

Hello, I am Misdirection, and as you might have guess, being on a video game forum, I liek video games. And what else do I like? Swords. Or the virtual likeness of swords, anyway, because I don't own one. So I am here to show you my personal favorite blades in video games. Sounds like fun, eh? Well let's get started!
Oh, and just as a small spoiler for this list; there's no keyblade. I am so sorry.

Let's start this off with something from a rather popular franchise, and one close to my heart; Halo, and the blade in question, of course, is the energy sword!

Even though it wasn't able to be wielded until Halo 2, the Energy Sword has made it's impact on the series ever since the first installment. It's a blade of pure energy, that can practically slice anything up in one swing. How could it not make an appearance here? That shit scared the hell out of me when someone came at me with one of those things! So yeah anyway...

Wander's sword from Shadow of the colossus.

It's got some kind of enchantment bestowed in it from the gods that allows him to find colossi. If it wasn't for that, the blade wouldn't be that special, but hey, the entire game depends on this sword pointing him in the right direction, so it's got to count for something, eh?
...Yeah... so ANYWAY...

Pyramid Head's great knife from the Silent Hill Franchise.
Not only is it about the size of his body, but It's just so unsettling to hear him scraping his blade against the metals of Silent Hill's otherworld, writhing in the fear of him coming for you. Sends chills down my spine.

The High-Frequency blade from Metal Gear Solid 2.

It's wielded by the ever so popular Raiden towards the end of the game. Some Spoilers from here on in, but all throughout MGS2, Raiden is always seen using guns, but in the end (this is, after the president grabbed his crotch, and starts running around naked), Snake hands him the HF Blade, which actually becomes very important to the story, as it is the weapon that you defeat the final boss with. It really gave the ending such a contrast from the rest of the game, which I thought was a really welcome thing. Raiden also wields a blade similar in MGS4, after he becomes a major badass, and from what I've seen, it has an electric current running through it, which is pretty awesome in my opinion, but I'm not sure if it's the same blade. But at any rate, I put the under appreciated Raiden at number 7.
Blarg.

The Sword from Swordquest. What is Swordquest? Well, it was an old Atari franchise, consisting of four games, that was discontinued on the last installment due to the video game crash in the 80s. The idea was that you buy each of the games (Earth world, Water world, Fire world, and Air world), and go to a competition with several other players, and if you win, you can win prizes such as a philosopher's stone, a goblet, etc., each teeming in gold and diamonds, and worth a shit load of money.

The sword was jewel encrusted, with an 18k gold handle, with a silver blade, covered with diamonds, emeralds, sapphires and rubies. I don't know if the sword has anything to do with the game, but the quest for real prizes would have been a worthy adventure, and I think it meets the criteria for this list. The whole thing makes for a pretty interesting story, and I'd advise you to check out the AVGN episode on the matter, as I am sure he's better at explaining it than I am.

The Red Queen from Devil May Cry 4, Nero's weapon, to be more presice.

It always stuck out to me as an insanely memorable blade, the reason being, the fact that you can rev the freaking thing up! It has three charges that it can rev too, and the stronger the charge, the stronger the swing. I'd say it's possibly one of the most badass blades of all time, but I have a few more personal favorites that prevent it from being higher on the list.

The Dragonbane from Skyrim.

Why do I love this blade so much? Because it looks like Sepiroth's blade from Final Fantasy VII! That, and it just so happens that it is the most useful blade in the game, as it deals extra damage to Dragons, which is kindofabigpartofthegame, AND, it deals shock damage to any other enemy that isn't a dragon, which is just... which is just real nice.

Now we're really getting down to it.
My number 3 sword can't go to anything else but the Buster Sword from Final Fantasy VII.

I mean, come on, this blade is Iconic. Not only is it the size of the person wielding it, but it's just such an awesome weapon to use, and to look at. I swear, my entire playthrough thus far has been just with the Buster Sword. I think I don't even really need to explain why, honestly.

I think you knew this one would appear, how could it not? You think of video gaming blades, you think of Clouds buster sword, and the Blade of Evil's bane; the Master Sword, from the Legend of Zelda franchise.

What's so special about it? Oh, nothing. Just the fact that it can smite evil just by the touch of it's blade, decide the destiny of the one wielding it, and the fact that it will always return even after hundreds of years pass, and look increasingly as badass in every installment. Yeah... I could go on for hours about how cool the Master Sword is, but I think everyone here already knows that, so, without further adieu, let's get on with number one!

And... at #1, we have...

The sword Pokemon from Pokemon X and Y,
Honedge!!

I just... I can't help myself. It's just too enticing to leave out of this list, and too hilarious to not add at number one. I know Pokemon got ridiculous after a while, but this one just warmed my heart for some reason. It's a sword... that evolves into two swords!

And it's got some kind of weird hand thing forming from the tassels on the hilt. What's not to like? At least it's a better conscious blade than Sonic and the Black Knight's Excalibur.

*shudders*.

Thank you for your time, and I hope you enjoyed this list. And any blade you think is cool, leave in the comments, because knowing my luck, I probably forgot some good ones.
Peace!
Published by
Dragon Tamer
Misdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really nice

Article Tools
Sponsored Links
By SuperGamecube64 on 03-15-2014, 09:02 PM
Sword Quest should have been #1 in my opinion. Good read though.
By Misdirection on 03-16-2014, 01:47 AM
It is a pretty important milestone in gaming, but this was kind of a personal favorite list. I see where you're coming from, but I had many other favorites that I felt like highlighting more than it.
By Konata on 03-16-2014, 09:35 AM
I remember AVGN(?) doing a video about swordquest, very interesting. Nice list.
By diamond655 on 03-16-2014, 10:15 PM
I liked the sass Black Knight Excalibur gives...
Either way, I thought that #1 would be the Master Sword.
By Misdirection on 03-19-2014, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond655 View Post
I liked the sass Black Knight Excalibur gives...
Either way, I thought that #1 would be the Master Sword.
That's what I was hoping for. c:
It almost was number one, but I couldn't resists putting Honedge on there.

And thanks, Konata!
Comment