Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Nintendo Wii U > Mario Kart 8

Notices

Mario Kart 8 Mario Kart 8 discussions for the Wiiu

Old 04-03-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
jfreakofkorn
Posting freak
Points: 5,878, Level: 49 Points: 5,878, Level: 49 Points: 5,878, Level: 49

jfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards 
Total Awards: 1

Why Mario Kart 8 is the best way to get your kid into gaming ó and into the Wii U

http://venturebeat.com/2014/04/03/wh...nto-the-wii-u/

April 3, 2014 12:01 AM Jason Wilson

For the first time in years, Mario Kart feels fresh. And thatís not thanks to the new features ó things like anti-grav karts, new items, or the Koopa Kids ó but to the Wii U GamePad.

Iíve never been a big fan of the Wiiís Remotes. The motion controllers always feel imprecise and laggy, even after the Wii Motion Plus upgrade to the sensors.

And the motion controls are especially cumbersome for Mario Kart Wii, even when you stuck a Wiimote into that damn Wii Wheel contraption.

The wheel made the controllerís buttons hard to use. I couldnít image a veteran player ó and especially a little kid ó dealing with it effectively. Motion controls sucked in Mario Kart Wii.

But with the Wii U GamePad, Mario Kart 8′s motion controls work great. And itís going to be a fantastic way to not only get kids into the series ó but into gaming as well.

Motion controls like a dream

Above: No, those arenít landspeeders. Mario Kart 8 had anti-grav karts now. And Koopa Kids.

When Erik Peterson of the Nintendo Treehouse development team first sat me down in front of Mario Kart 8, he gave me the Wii U GamePad. And I played it using the standard sticks and buttons. It felt good, it played good ó yep, alright, it was Mario Kart.

Then he grabbed the GamePad and turned on motion controls.

You use the pad like a steering wheel, and you hit buttons to throw weapons like turtle shells and to brake or accelerate, just as you would when sticking a Wiimote into that piece-of-junk Wii Wheel. But unlike the Wii version, Mario Kart 8 controls smoothly and with little effort.

Sure, I felt myself twisting-and-turning as Warioís car (my only Mario Kart rule: Only Jason can play Wario) zoomed down the Mushroom Cupís Mario Kart Stadium course, sometimes hitting other karts and sometimes hitting walls.

When the anti-grav came into play, the motion controls started to click. I found himself raising the GamePad up and twisting and turning. It felt immersive ó something Iíve never been able to say of a kart game before.

I was racing, not just controlling a kart and throwing stuff at others. It reminded me of my days of playing good space sims like TIE Fighter, when I would physically duck as I flew under capital ships like Star Destroyers and bobbed-and-weaved as I played.

Every time I moved, Wario moved. Even with Wii Motion Plus, the Wiimote felt laggy and squishy with Mario Kart Wii. I never seemed to corner right, never seemed to make a turn when I made the proper motion to do so.

I didnít experience any instance of lag with the GamePad for Mario Kart 8. When I turned, Wario turned. Everything felt like the true 1-to-1 motion controls promised a generation ago.

Above: Bowser shows off his blue boomerang, an item new to Mario Kart 8.

A simple touch on the GamePadís screen switches the motion control off ó so itís easy to swap from one to the other as you race.

I didnít win any races ó I never finished better than fifth ó but considering that I hadnít played Mario Kart since 2009 and never won many matches with my friends or against the A.I. in the first place, I felt the motion controls actually improved my performance.

And it truly felt easier to control than any version of Mario Kart Iíd played before. And as I raced, I kept thinking ó and talking about with Peterson ó just how easy it would be for my 4-year-old kid to pick this up.

Dem kids today

Above: Try finding a game this colorful on the PlayStation 4 or the Xbox One.

Every morning, my oldest son wakes up and asks, ďCan I play a game?Ē But he doesnít want to play a console or even a handheld game. He wants the iPad, a system he can hold in his lap and tap away at while playing Whereís My Mickey? or Cut the Rope.

But recently, heís discovered Mario, and he loves Super Mario Bros. Wii ó but heís had a hard time using the Wiimote.

Mario Kart 8 may just be the best gaming-entry point for him. The GamePad feels quite similar to an iPad, and I found it easy to steer with it, hitting just a couple of buttons as I raced. The pad felt comfortable as a wheel, and controlling my kart in this manner felt natural.

And itís fun. The colors pop out of the screen in HD, reminding me just how drab so many other games look these days (pick your platform ó if itís not a kiddie mass-market mobile endeavor, chances are the game youíre playing right now tends toward dark and drab). I hooted and hollered as I played, something that doesnít often as I game these days.

This ease-of-use could be a major selling point for Nintendo now. The Wii U is struggling, and one (of many reasons) is that younger folk are playing games on tablets and phones, not consoles. And easy touchscreen controls factor into this.

Nintendo has an opportunity here. Mario Kart 8 could be a system-seller when it comes out May 30, not just with older gamers but kids as well. All it has to do is help connect the dots.

And hope that Sony, Microsoft, and the mobile guys arenít holding a blue turtle shell.
jfreakofkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 57,722, Level: 100 Points: 57,722, Level: 100 Points: 57,722, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Gaming
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 15

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
Even though they definitely stole the anti-gravity karts from Crash Nitro Kart, I look forward to it. And good God those colors and graphics.

Ultra Street Fighter IV mains: Gen, Dudley, Ryu
Tekken Revolution mains: Steve Fox, Kazuya
Tekken 6 mains: Steve Fox, Jin, Hwoarang
King of Fighters XIII team: Ryo/Kim Kaphwan/Joe
Brandyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #3
SanePsychoSuper
Basic Contradiction
Points: 3,356, Level: 36 Points: 3,356, Level: 36 Points: 3,356, Level: 36
User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Woot
SanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to behold

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Profile of the Month Award Signature of the Month Poster NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelorette Award Princess Award Profile of the Month Award 
Total Awards: 7

I can't waitttt. Hopefully I'll be able to get it when it comes out.
SanePsychoSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #4
Pokeman
Good ol PT
Points: 13,784, Level: 76 Points: 13,784, Level: 76 Points: 13,784, Level: 76

My Mood: Woot
Pokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via Skype™ to Pokeman PSN ID: Pityflame WiiU ID: Pityflame
This game is probably the most im excited about since XY. It just looks really great. Can't wait to fully utilize the power of the gamepad with the honk button

Pokeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
JemStar
Konata's booty
Points: 5,528, Level: 47 Points: 5,528, Level: 47 Points: 5,528, Level: 47

My Mood: Sleepy
JemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud of

Send a message via Skype™ to JemStar PSN ID: BlackChilliBean
It looks amazing. Thankfully Kie's Wii U is at my place so I'll get a chance to play it.
Gotta try that rainbow road.

"I collect, not play." - Quinten talking about My Little Pony.
JemStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #6
Hakuryuu
memetastic miller
Points: 5,798, Level: 49 Points: 5,798, Level: 49 Points: 5,798, Level: 49
User owns 1x Warpstar

My Mood: Bored
Hakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Poster Signature of the Month Signature of the Month Princess Award 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via MSN to Hakuryuu Send a message via Skype™ to Hakuryuu 3DS Friend Code: 0044-3194-2141 PSN ID: daracakes WiiU ID: flareon
I'm pretty excited for it but I probably won't get it when it's first released. My brother really wants it, something that surprises me due to the fact he hardly likes Nintendo games. It looks really cool though.

Hakuryuu is offline   Reply With Quote