Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > General Chat > Debate Forum

Notices

Debate Forum This is the Debate forum engage in serious debates here.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:33 AM   #1
Rai17
Actor
Points: 14,503, Level: 78 Points: 14,503, Level: 78 Points: 14,503, Level: 78
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Snake rope User owns 1x Yo-Yo User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom User owns 2x Super Mushroom User owns 1x Mr Saturn User owns 1x Invincibility Star
User owns 2x Rod Of Seasons User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 2x Daisy Flower User owns 1x Harp of Ages User owns 2x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Water Element

My Mood: Brooding
Rai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Yoshi NFF Old Man Award Celebrity Royalty NFF 3rd Annual Award Inventor Award NFF Promoter 
Total Awards: 9

College: Yay or Nay?

Okai. I triple-checked to make sure there wasn't a thread on this yet.

SO! No matter where you are, everyone basically tells you the same thing while you're getting your elementary education: stay in school. Get good grades. Go to college.
But hey now. Is it really worth it?

Yeah, it's a given that if you go to a college or university, you tend to up your chances in getting a higher-paying job. Chances are you'll make more connection to help you succeed in life. But is it really worth it? Is it something you must do? Should we be thankful that it's a choice?

I for one am on the fence.

Opinion/Life Story can be found here.
Spoiler
My entire life, all I've had going for me was my intelligence. And looks of course. But all jokes aside, I was known as the "smart" one in the family, that's "wasting his time in the arts". Yeah I'm that kid, majoring in theatre. I busted my chops in a college prep school to get where I am now. And now..I struggle. I'll half-ass my papers and get a perfect score. I won't read books and get awesome marks on my analytical arguments. I've talked to friends that are up here with me, and they all feel the same: we're burnt out. Our desire to learn has been used up, it seems. I'll be the most dedicated student in class, but the genuine desire is gone. All I wanna do is leave the country. Start acting. Start singing. But I'm the first one in my family to go to a university. They're all proud and whatnot. I guess I am too. My life has led up to this. But now what?

So gimme your two cents. List em out. Pros and Cons. Go!

~ Leftovers of a Genius

-My Twitter
--My YouTube
---My Instagram
----The NFF Facebook Page
Rai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2014, 07:13 AM   #2
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 57,842, Level: 100 Points: 57,842, Level: 100 Points: 57,842, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Gaming
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 15

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
In today's world, it's pretty much a necessity. While I do know older people who became successful without a degree, times are very different, now. I regret screwing around my first year but thankfully I am about to go back, next month. In my year off job hunting, it was a nightmare.

Even if you want to be an actor, it's extremely advisable to have something to fall back on. I always tell my friends who aspire to be entertainers that while I support their dreams, it is flat out unwise to not have a plan B. Especially since there are many barriers to entry in the ultra competitive, dog-eat-dog world of entertainment. Most of the people who are really famous rich actors either knew somebody, or were just in the right place at the right time. Not to discourage you from your dream, just stressing why it's important to have a parachute. That's why so many young actors take time off to get their degree and then return to the game.

Ultra Street Fighter IV mains: Gen, Dudley, Ryu
Tekken Revolution mains: Steve Fox, Kazuya
Tekken 6 mains: Steve Fox, Jin, Hwoarang
King of Fighters XIII team: Ryo/Kim Kaphwan/Joe
Brandyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #3
Mikematute
Zombie Prosecutor
Points: 12,827, Level: 73 Points: 12,827, Level: 73 Points: 12,827, Level: 73
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Triforce

My Mood: Gaming
Mikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of light

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Review of the Month Poster 
Total Awards: 4

I consider that going to college will, of course, give you an advatntage on this world. All depends on what you do with this knowledge.
Yeah, it is a **** ton of money, but i say it is worth it.

WHO THE **** DO YOU THINK I AM
Mikematute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
Hakuryuu
memetastic miller
Points: 5,818, Level: 49 Points: 5,818, Level: 49 Points: 5,818, Level: 49
User owns 1x Warpstar

My Mood: Bored
Hakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Poster Signature of the Month Signature of the Month Princess Award 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via MSN to Hakuryuu Send a message via Skype™ to Hakuryuu 3DS Friend Code: 0044-3194-2141 PSN ID: daracakes WiiU ID: flareon
Before I graduated high school, I knew a student who was adamant that he did not need college. He'd be fine without it and be successful. After I changed schools, I didn't see him until I had to stop at the gas station taking my brother to school. He was an employee there and we talked for a bit then I didn't see him again until a year later at college. The guy that was so adverse to college couldn't make a living on a minimum wage job. Really, no one can. Minimum wage is not a living wage.

College is nearly required these days. Whether it's a 4 year school or a 2 two year school, you need a degree in SOMETHING. It's extremely expensive yes. Not everyone can get grants and scholarships so they have to take out loans. However, there's loan forgiveness and you don't have to pay loans back until you're completely finished with school and working. By that time, you should have a pretty decent job to pay them back. It sucks, but I'd rather have a decent job than being a hostess working minimum wage for the rest of my life.

Acting is one of those difficult majors IMO. Being famous has about equal probability of being struck by lightning. (Well... Maybe more idk) It's highly competitive and the industry is unreliable. Look at all the washed up actors that literally act in made for TV movies. I doubt they saw their career going in that direction. It's important to follow your dreams but it's even more important to have something to fall back on. Like Brandyn said, a Plan B is so important. If I don't make it as a Psychologist, I'm definitely going to try for law school or if all else fails I can teach.

Hakuryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #5
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 37,738, Level: 100 Points: 37,738, Level: 100 Points: 37,738, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

College is both easier & harder in the UK. It's easier because you don't have to pay, and you can pretty much get in with any grades. But it's harder because college in the UK is apparently 3 of the hardest years of your life.

A better comparison of the USA's college would be our University. I've heard it's far easier than college, and I've accepted a place to study Marketing from September onwards. Whether it gives me any advantage if I do get the masters degree I want, I don't know.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #6
Killua
Property Of Nicci
Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18
User owns 1x Four Sword User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Red Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Ruby User owns 1x Master Ball
User owns 1x Yellow Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Shuriken User owns 1x Mega Man

My Mood: Spaced
Killua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster 
Total Awards: 3

Worth it: No.

Necessary for a good living and decent career:Yes.
It must be the drugs that got us doing this crazy shit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Fuentes View Post
Iíve been having this dream that we can fly, so maybe if we never wake up we can see the sky.
Killua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:32 PM   #7
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 23,270, Level: 93 Points: 23,270, Level: 93 Points: 23,270, Level: 93
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

WiiU ID: Megas75
Is it worth it? I'd say it depends, but nowadays going to college is pretty much a requirement.

Why we still have to pay tons of money though, I'll never understand
Old 04-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #8
JemStar
Konata's booty
Points: 5,528, Level: 47 Points: 5,528, Level: 47 Points: 5,528, Level: 47

My Mood: Sleepy
JemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud of

Send a message via Skype™ to JemStar PSN ID: BlackChilliBean
I haven't even gone to Uni yet and I'm burnt out.
I want to go, but learning just seems like too much effort. I should have finished college last year instead of doing a third year to just 'recharge'.

"I collect, not play." - Quinten talking about My Little Pony.
JemStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #9
eloratings
Posting freak
Points: 3,644, Level: 37 Points: 3,644, Level: 37 Points: 3,644, Level: 37
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii

My Mood: Tired
eloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to behold

Friend Codes
I finished school long time ago. My work is basically unrelated to my major before. But, I didn't regret that. You never know what would happen in the future of your career. I dislike the word 'career' as this is not my life tbh. It's all about $$ money earns to live better. That's just my principles in life.

College worth it ? Absolutely 'yes' for me I learnt a lot of new things in new subjects like principles in the US History & Biology classes even only for my AA degree.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:41 AM   #10
jfreakofkorn
Posting freak
Points: 5,941, Level: 49 Points: 5,941, Level: 49 Points: 5,941, Level: 49

jfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards 
Total Awards: 1

it just depends ....

you can be in the field of retail or the food industry, you can always work your way up the ladder ( it would be rough in the beginning but well worth it in the end )

or you can go and be in a pool of un employed because everyone is fighting to get the same job as you ( because no one ever volunteers anymore )

so its tough to say ....
jfreakofkorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
college, education, pretentious version, uni, university