Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo 3DS Reviews

Notices

Nintendo 3DS Reviews Section for all Nintendo 3DS Game Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Published by Brandyn
04-14-2014
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%

Release Date: 2013
Platform: Nintendo 3DS
Developer: Retro Studio
Publisher: Nintendo

It's my one year late review of a port of a 4 year old game! I can just feel your excitement.

In all seriousness, however, if you are one of those die hard retro fans who refuses to even look at something like this, you may want to reconsider. As someone who played the original games on SNES, I can safely say that Retro Studios did the Donkey Kong Country franchise justice with this game.

That works both ways though; if Donkey Kong Country was never your cup of tea, then Returns probably won't change your mind. Not to say this is a carbon copy rehash or anything. It seems like this was more inspired from the New Super Mario Bros. games. But it definitely has that familiar taste.

Donkey Kong Country Returns is a 3D platformer on a 2D plane, also dubbed 2.5D. You will run, swing, and ride through a variety of colorful and inspired levels. What I like is how the game has a good balance of nostalgic elements and new elements. Some of the worlds and levels are naturally taken from the first game, complete with excellent musical remixes. Though unfortunately, there are no underwater levels. Which sucks a little simply because I loved the song for those stages. Then there are some new types of levels, along with a new set of enemies. That's right, you aren't fighting Kremlins this time around. Filling in the shoes of King K. Rool and his army of crocs are...the Tiki masks from Crash Bandicoot? Well okay, then.

Speaking of old school elements, something that remains intact is the punishing difficulty. Unlike most modern platforming titles, you can't sleepwalk through this game. Especially if you are a completionist, because some of the Kong letters and puzzle pieces take alot of skill to collect. I have to admit, a couple times I became so frustrated that I just said "to hell with it!" and used the Super Guide to pass the level. (But I did come back and beat them myself, later. Those Rocket Barrel levels are just ridiculous.)

So for those who own the Wii version, you are probably wondering if the 3D version warrants a purchase. Aside from portability, it may be worthwhile to you since the game features some brand new stages. Once you beat the first 8 worlds and the final boss, you can collect (purchase using the in game coins) 8 orbs that will unlock what is essentially this game's World 9/Special world which has 8 new stages. 3D also features a new mode which adds an extra heart to your life bar and thus makes the game easier, or you can play it just like the Wii version with only 2 hearts of health. The added depth of field from the 3D is visually pleasant, but ultimately just a novelty.

Whether you are a DKC fan, or simply an old school style platforming fan, Donkey Kong Country Returns is more fun than a barrel of monkeys. (Pardon the pun.) It has enough nostalgia for fans of the original to get off on, while being fresh enough so as not to alienate newcomers. If you have already conquered this adventure on your Wii, then it's totally up to you. The main selling point for you folks is 8 new levels. But if you missed it the first time, this game is an excellent addition to your 3DS library.

Published by
The Gentleman
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn
Sponsored Links
By Brandyn on 04-14-2014, 07:13 AM
Yes I posted this from my tablet which has trouble pasting screenshots. Even if I use Image tags. I will have to add screenshots from a laptop later on, please excuse lack of shots for now.
By Nintenduendo on 04-14-2014, 04:30 PM
A little on the short side, but that might seem that way because of the lack of screens. Good review.
By Brandyn on 04-18-2014, 08:41 PM
Added screenshots.
Comment