Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Nintendo Retro Consoles > Super Nintendo

Notices

Super Nintendo Super Nintendo section post here!

Old 05-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #1
Richard1986
Goomba
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1

Richard1986 is an unknown quantity at this point

My Super Nintendo Quest

Hi everyone, first time posting.

So I wanted to join an SNES forum to talk games, not much of a technophile, and also to get feedback and encouragement...and the inevitable discouragement...on a project I'm tackling.

I actually grew up a Sega kid. The NES was my first console but I was super young, and I liked it but I only had a couple games for it. My uncle had a genesis, my mind was blown, and I begged and pleaded for one for a long time. I've been a huge sega fan ever since and still am. But recently I wondered what if my life had been different? What if I had wanted the SNES instead? As an adult I'm not a blind frenzy sega fan boy, I'm pretty aware that honestly SNES was the more advanced system and had some A-list games Sega really never pulled off. I really haven't played much SNES which is why this is fun. My only opportunities were the occasional visit to a friends house when I was 8. Despite a long gaming history, SNES is mostly untouched. So I've got one now... And I'm also OCD about order. So here is what I am setting out to do....

I want to play all the SNES games that didn't come out on the Genesis. They don't have to be totally exclusive. If they came out on the sega cd or something later, such as Final Fight, thats fine. Arcade ports and PC ports are fine. Just don't want to play a lot of the multi-console games that had sega releases because honestly I've played a lot of them and I can still play them on sega - they aren't what makes SNES special.

This doesn't apply when the game is clearly drastically different like Aladdin.

I'm also leaving out sports games. I just don't care much for the genre except hockey and have gotten my fill of that on the genesis.

Other than that, I am playing in rough chronological order. Starting with Super Mario World, then the rest of the launch titles, and then on to each year individually and probably alphabetically.

I try to give each game a solid month of play, unless I totally finish it early. I'm fine with moving slow and really getting into each title. If it takes me longer than a month so long as I still enjoy playing it I'll keep going.

I know. I'm nuts. But its not my first project of this type.

Anyone else done something like this?
Richard1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2014, 10:10 PM   #2
SNEddie
Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1

SNEddie is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm kind of doing the same, except I had an snes growing up. I just didnt have any of the good games, I had a lot of mediocre games that we got from garage sales or flea markets.
SNEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:18 PM   #3
Richard1986
Goomba

what are some of the ones from that bunch you had that you thought were pretty good? Has to be some hidden gems in there somewhere. I'm a sucker for obscure stuff as much as the first party big hitters.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:09 AM   #4
SNEddie
Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1

SNEddie is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't own any great games then, but now I own a lot of awesome games. My current faves are Skyblazer, Run Saber, The Adventures of Batman and Robin, TMNT tournament fighters and TMNT in Time. UN Squadron and Imperius are good shoot em ups if you like those. I'm mostly into platformers and beat em ups, with the exception of a few shmups and Super Mario RPG is a must have for any snes fan in my opinion.
SNEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
Genolinkero
Star Shooter
Points: 212, Level: 4 Points: 212, Level: 4 Points: 212, Level: 4
User owns 1x Mr Saturn User owns 4x SNES Controller

My Mood: Goofy
Genolinkero is a jewel in the roughGenolinkero is a jewel in the roughGenolinkero is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
Brawl AM First Time Award 
Total Awards: 1

Being a turn-based RPG lover I'll give you a list of my favorites. Know that the SNES was focused on Platforming/Fighting/RPG Titles primarily. There were of course plenty of flying, driving, shooting, etc. games but in my belief the three genres above were the most popular.

1. Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars.
2. Final Fantasy 2(4), and Final Fantasy 3(6). FF5 was released only in Japan but there are English Translation Roms available online.
3. Earthbound
4. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
5. Breath of Fire
6. Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen
7. Secret of Mana/Evermore
8. Lufia 1 and 2
9. Chrono Trigger

Aside from RPG's here are a few other Great Games
1. Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
2. Actraiser
3. Pirates of Dark Water
4. Megaman X 1,2, and 3
5. Super mario world 2, Yoshis Island

There are so many more but this should get you started for sure

Many people will recommend Starfox and F-Zero
I suck at controlling vehicles

Hi, Hey, Howdy Traveling the country, Now in, Louisville, Ky
Genolinkero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
Alice
----
Points: 32,720, Level: 100 Points: 32,720, Level: 100 Points: 32,720, Level: 100
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Artistic
Alice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Member of the Month NFF Old Man Award NFF Annual Awards Level 100 Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Royalty Welcome Wagon Joker 
Total Awards: 14

Send a message via MSN to Alice Send a message via Skype™ to Alice 3DS Friend Code: 3711-7997-2642 PSN ID: ArktikAlice Xbox Live Gamertag: ArktikAlice
That's going to be a hell of a lot of games, mate.
Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth
I spend many lonely nights wishing Alice would lock me in my bedchamber and pleasure me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderRebelNews via Skype
There are too few hours in a day for things like 'eating'
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #7
Richard1986
Goomba

Yeah it will be! But that shouldn't be discouraging as I have till I'm dead so... If I need a break I'll of course take one. In fact I plan to, I wouldn't want this to get boring.

Right now I'm playing Super Mario World which I only ever experinced at a friends house as a kid and its my favorite Mario by far. I have played the first three and 64 and sunshine, and I think I like this one the most. I just hit the first three caps and got to star road and have been trying to hit all the secrets I can. Its a miticulous process as I know OF a lot of these secrets, but I don't know how to get to them and I'm not using guides. For every game I just use a manual. If the copy I ordered doesn't have one I look up the PDF, read through it, and use that and that alone as my guide.

I'm actually on a secret right now I don't totally get. Its the vanilla dome secret. I'm working on the castle that's all underwater. Its pretty tough but as its not connected to a star road I'm curious what the point of it will end up being outside of just extra levels.

Actraiser will be coming up soon! I'll be doing Gradius III, F-Zero, and pilotwings, and then Actraiser should come next. I've heard really cool stuff about it, I like the idea of combing a life sim/rts with an action platformer. And the concept that you are quite litteraly god in both parts of the game is wicked cool.