Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Gaming News

Notices

Gaming News Gaming News around the world.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:25 AM   #1
Mable
Pines
Points: 3,140, Level: 34 Points: 3,140, Level: 34 Points: 3,140, Level: 34
User owns 1x Poke Doll

Mable has a spectacular aura aboutMable has a spectacular aura aboutMable has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month Review of the Month Princess Award News Reporter Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 5

Thumbs down Nintendo rules out same-sex relationships in Tomodachi Life

Nintendo has announced that it will not add same-sex relationships to Tomodachi Life's western releases despite an ongoing fan campaign.
The game allows players to direct their Mii avatars through strange and humorous versions of everyday events, like moving into a new apartment, meeting new friends, doing chores, and other tasks you can read about in our Tomodachi Life preview. It also lets male Mii characters woo and marry female characters, and vice versa.

Numerous Nintendo fans conducted a social media campaign called #Miiquality urging Nintendo to add same-sex relationships to Tomodachi Life in time for its release outside of Japan, or to implement them in a future update.
But Nintendo has confirmed it will not alter the game from the original version in this manner.
"Nintendo never intended to make any form of social commentary with the launch of Tomodachi Life," Nintendo of America said in a statement provided to the Associated Press.

"The relationship options in the game represent a playful alternate world rather than a real-life simulation. We hope that all of our fans will see that Tomodachi Life was intended to be a whimsical and quirky game, and that we were absolutely not trying to provide social commentary."

Tye Marini, a Nintendo fan who led the campaign, told the AP that the game is a special case because it mirrors real life in so many other ways. But because he is gay, his Mii will never be able to marry his fiance's Mii.
"You import your personalized characters into the game," Marini said. "You name them. You give them a personality. You give them a voice. They just can't fall in love if they're gay."

Instead of calling for a boycott, Marini is encouraging gay fans and allies to make their desire for representation known to Nintendo using the hashtag. The company said it is listening.

"We're using this as an opportunity to better understand our consumers and their expectations of us at all levels of the organization," a Nintendo representative said.

"We have been looking to broaden our approach to development whenever possible as we put all our energy into continuing to develop fun games that will surprise and delight players."

Nintendo has confirmed the Tomodachi Life release date as June 6 in Europe and the US.
Mable is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2014, 05:47 AM   #2
AlloftheAbove
Numbah Wan
Points: 23,828, Level: 94 Points: 23,828, Level: 94 Points: 23,828, Level: 94
User owns 1x Purple Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Yellow Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Red Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Light Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Grey Chaos Emerald

My Mood: Gaming
AlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Review of the Month Review of the Month Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award NFF Referrer Review of the Month Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 38

3DS Friend Code: 4382-1995-8800 Xbox Live Gamertag: RaptorWaffles WiiU ID: AlloftheAbove
It seems more likely that they won't alter the original game for the western release, since altering the game this much would mean extra coding, debugging and money.
If a sequel comes out and there isn't an option for same sex relationships, then their stance on the subject is obvious.

Adding same sex relationships wouldn't be adding social commentary, it would be adding social equality.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:11 AM   #3
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,268, Level: 100 Points: 38,268, Level: 100 Points: 38,268, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganium View Post
but by not doing anything Nintendo is already providing a passive social commentary tho
Where do you copy & paste this from? It isn't at all.

Nintendo have done nothing wrong, like they said it's a game, not a real life simulation. People after same-sex marriage should look to a game like The Sims.

If there's a sequel and it's in there, fair enough, but if it isn't I'm not going to petition for it. Surely getting same-sex equality in the real world is more important.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:28 AM   #4
Hakuryuu
D.D.
Points: 5,963, Level: 50 Points: 5,963, Level: 50 Points: 5,963, Level: 50
User owns 1x Warpstar

My Mood: Bored
Hakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Poster Signature of the Month Signature of the Month Princess Award 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via MSN to Hakuryuu Send a message via Skype™ to Hakuryuu 3DS Friend Code: 0044-3194-2141 PSN ID: daracakes WiiU ID: flareon
I can understand how hurtful it must be to the LGBT community because they put a lot of effort into the petition which got more than enough signatures and the lack of representation same sex couples face in video game franchises. Nintendo didn't alter the game for Japan though, which is extremely conservative in its idea of sexual equality for same sex couples. It would've cost a lot of money to rearrange the game but there is still hope for the sequel. I'm disappointed they didn't do it but I understand why.

Hakuryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:34 AM   #5
Gold
Points: 945, Level: 16 Points: 945, Level: 16 Points: 945, Level: 16
User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance

Gold is an unknown quantity at this point

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Brawl AM First Time Award 
Total Awards: 1

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8066-7015 WiiU ID: TheGoldMan
I'm pretty sure they just want to avoid controversy.

Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:55 AM   #6
Mable
Pines
User owns 1x Poke Doll

Mable has a spectacular aura aboutMable has a spectacular aura aboutMable has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month Review of the Month Princess Award News Reporter Review of the Month 

But they are providing a passive social commentary, Konata. Not including, and actively not including same-sex relationships even after fans requested it? That's saying "no, we don't want gays in our game." Of course that's commentary. Ugh, I'm sick of people thinking that even mentioning a gay person is classed as 'radical thinking'.

You're telling me that a 50-foot tall man can raise up out of the water to declare his love for a woman by spurting thousands of smiling flowers out of his nose, but a girl can't hold hands with another girl?

Konata, how do you think gay marriage in the real world will happen if companies belittle the existence of the homosexual movement and fight for recognition as nothing more than fleeting "social commentary"? Even friggin Mass Effect had same sex relationship dynamics! So don't tell me that gay people only belong on The Sims. Change needs to happen.

#Miiquality

Old 05-08-2014, 07:55 AM   #7
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,268, Level: 100 Points: 38,268, Level: 100 Points: 38,268, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

They get bad press for not putting it in their game, but they'd get bad press for doing it too.

Edit: Sorry Mable, I posted before your post had come up. I'm not against them putting it in, I'm against people, yet again, attacking Nintendo when it comes to this (I believe people were petitioning for same sex marriage in Fire Emblem too). There's THOUSANDS of games that have come out over the last few years that don't involve same sex relationships or hell, even have a same sex character in, and nobody says a word. But when Nintendo, the Japanese company who "may be against it" comes out with a game, we just have to petition to them knowing full well the response we'll get. I don't even think Nintendo are against it, they just don't know how to deal with it. Say it's easy all you want when you go out and sell your same sex friendly product, but business is harsh.

Where are your homosexual soldiers in CoD? Where is the "hit on the guy" option in Killer is Dead? What about Persona, where are the same sex relationships in that?

Again, I'd be completely up for Nintendo allowing same sex marriage in any of their games; but the fact petitioners always seem to target Nintendo annoys me. As if they don't have bad enough press already.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Last edited by Konata; 05-08-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Konata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:15 AM   #8
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 23,775, Level: 94 Points: 23,775, Level: 94 Points: 23,775, Level: 94
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

WiiU ID: Megas75
I feel like some people are blowing this out of proportion, it's a very controversial topic. Hell I can still see people overreacting if they did include them regardless

I'm with Konata on this one. I'm totally up for them including Same-Sex marriage in a future game, but I don't think it will hurt the game much if they didn't include it
Old 05-08-2014, 08:16 AM   #9
Hakuryuu
D.D.
Points: 5,963, Level: 50 Points: 5,963, Level: 50 Points: 5,963, Level: 50
User owns 1x Warpstar

My Mood: Bored
Hakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Poster Signature of the Month Signature of the Month Princess Award 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via MSN to Hakuryuu Send a message via Skype™ to Hakuryuu 3DS Friend Code: 0044-3194-2141 PSN ID: daracakes WiiU ID: flareon
I think the issue really remains is that Fire Emblem and now Tomodachi Life involved a real world aspect such as marriage. In previous years, people didn't speak out for same sex equality for various reasons. Even in the "modern" age we live in, what we call equality is something that goes back to the beginning of time, but people weren't encouraged or allowed to have a different opinion. Now people are encouraged to voice their opinions and ask for the same rights. Nothing wrong with expecting equal treatment.

There are game franchises, like Mable said, that have began to include same sex characters, but marriage? I've only seen it in games like the Sims. People look up to Nintendo, IMO, differently. Tomodachi Life, regardless of how Nintendo argues against it, has real life scenarios and simulations. Even if they're a bit silly. It's bad enough most people call same sex marriages "equal partnerships" or something along those lines. At least here, it's not really called marriage. Game franchises SHOULD include same sex coupling. Who is it really hurting? (No one)

It's just a disappointing blow to the LGBT community because Nintendo wrote it off as social commentary, when many people put so much effort into asking for equality. Perhaps they got too it a bit too late, but that's debatable in its own sense. Nothing wrong with asking for them to code in same sex marriages, but it would cost a lot of extra money. I'm disappointed myself.

Hakuryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:17 AM   #10
Mable
Pines
User owns 1x Poke Doll

Awards Showcase

Hounding a company like this is absolutely the best way to go. Companies need to be accountable for this, and if Nintendo is a culprit of it, then Nintendo is a culprit of it. The game is about relationships, and by not including same-sex relationships, Nintendo does the community a disservice.