Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Gaming News

Notices

Gaming News Gaming News around the world.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:56 AM   #1
jfreakofkorn
Posting freak
Points: 5,535, Level: 47 Points: 5,535, Level: 47 Points: 5,535, Level: 47

jfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards 
Total Awards: 1

Activision Is Reportedly Spending Half a Billion on a Single Game

http://time.com/89407/activision-des...t-500-million/

Victor Luckerson May 6, 2014

Activision is making a half-billion-dollar bet on a single video game.

At a Los Angeles conference last week, CEO Bobby Kotick said that his company would pour $500 million into Destiny, an upcoming massively multiplayer online first-person shooter being developed for the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Xbox 360.

The game comes from Bungie, the makers of the Halo series, so it has a high pedigree and a mountain of hype.

But the figure may still be unprecedented in the gaming industry, especially for a new IP.

Activision did not respond to a request for comment.

Typically, lavish budgets are reserved for franchises with proven popularity.

Last fall’s Grand Theft Auto 5 was estimated to cost $160 million to produce.

The Destiny figure dwarfs that, but an Activision spokesperson clarified to Reuters that the budget includes marketing, packaging, infrastructure support, royalties and more.

The spokesperson said that the game’s budget will be “roughly in line with other Triple-A titles.”

Still, the huge sum shows that Activision is hungry for a new massive franchise.

The company’s annual Call of Duty games have been selling less and less in recent years, and Activision’s sales and profits were both down in 2013.

In an industry increasingly dependent on blockbusters, Activision is trying to position Destiny as too big to fail.
jfreakofkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #2
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 22,475, Level: 93 Points: 22,475, Level: 93 Points: 22,475, Level: 93
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

There goes all their Call of Duty money
Old 05-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #3
Pokeman
Good ol PT
Points: 13,456, Level: 75 Points: 13,456, Level: 75 Points: 13,456, Level: 75

My Mood: Woot
Pokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Poster 

Send a message via Skype™ to Pokeman PSN ID: Pityflame WiiU ID: Pityflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megas75 View Post
chump change for em'

Pokeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
Tanis
Ordinary
Points: 5,880, Level: 49 Points: 5,880, Level: 49 Points: 5,880, Level: 49
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Daisy Flower User owns 1x Bomb User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Tired
Tanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Brawl AM First Time Award Signature of the Month Royalty Welcome Wagon Poster Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 6

3DS Friend Code: 034493603259 PSN ID: Tanis-sama WiiU ID: Peridot-sama
They better hope it does GTA 5 numbers or better just to break even.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #5
JemStar
Konata's booty
Points: 5,528, Level: 47 Points: 5,528, Level: 47 Points: 5,528, Level: 47

My Mood: Sleepy
JemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud of

Send a message via Skype™ to JemStar PSN ID: BlackChilliBean
I find this kind of surprising. They're taking a bigger gamble than I ever expected them to.

"I collect, not play." - Quinten talking about My Little Pony.
JemStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #6
Alice
Princess of NFF~
Points: 32,423, Level: 100 Points: 32,423, Level: 100 Points: 32,423, Level: 100
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Artistic
Alice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Member of the Month NFF Old Man Award NFF Annual Awards Level 100 Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Royalty Welcome Wagon Joker 
Total Awards: 14

Send a message via MSN to Alice Send a message via Skype™ to Alice 3DS Friend Code: 3711-7997-2642 Xbox Live Gamertag: ArktikAlice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megas75 View Post
Like anyone gives a damn.

Anyway, that is a staggering amount of money to gamble on Destiny. Don't get me wrong, I expect that it will be a good game, but still, it's astounding that they can spend that much money on a single game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth
I spend many lonely nights wishing Alice would lock me in my bedchamber and pleasure me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderRebelNews via Skype
There are too few hours in a day for things like 'eating'
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:15 AM   #7
jfreakofkorn
Posting freak
Points: 5,535, Level: 47 Points: 5,535, Level: 47 Points: 5,535, Level: 47

jfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards 

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/05...tarts-in-july/

Destiny Budget Could Hit $500 Million, Beta Starts in July

By Ron Duwell | May 7, 2014

And you thought Tomb Raider was in a tight spot. Destiny needs to be a huge hit for Activision, or a lot of employees are going to be feeling the pain. In this age of AAA gaming budgets gone wild, Bungie and Activision are absolutely bonkers for pumping as much as $500 million into the new franchise. That must be some kind of record, because it shatters the budget for pretty much every form of entertainment out there.

Reuters reports that at the Milken conference in Los Angeles, Activision CEO Bobby Kotick claims the franchise is a huge risk for the company but the stakes are simply too big to ignore.

“If you’re making a $500 million bet you can’t take that chance with someone else’s IP,” the Activision CEO said. “The stakes for us are getting bigger.”

For what it’s worth, Destiny looks like a really fun game, but seriously? $500 million? By comparison, Grand Theft Auto V clocked in at about half that at $250 million, but that was for an established franchise everybody knew would sell.

Analysts are putting Destiny at having to sell 15 million to 16 million if it wants to break even, meaning it’s not the largest number in history but its still pretty significant. I just don’t see it, though, unless Activision prepares an enormously expensive marketing campaign over the next few months.

What are we working with here to make this the one of the biggest new franchise launches in history? Halo isn’t in style anymore, and Bungie isn’t nearly the household name it once was when the series’ popularity peaked at Halo 3. A whole new and massive generation of gamers have come of age since then and most might have never even played a Halo game. Activision can’t really use Bungie’s name to market to anyone beyond its fanbase.

Call of Duty still hogs the charts, and Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare will be competing against Destiny in the science fiction first-person shooter genre this year. Sure, they are different types of first-person shooters, but what Average Joe is going to know that? The gamer crowd is too small to sell 16 million copies and the casual crowd will lean towards the familiar Call of Duty namesake.

Finally, Activision is totally ignoring the PC market, which has been rocketing off over the last few years with the rise of digital distribution. A huge chunk of hardcore gamers are jumping to gaming on the PC these days, and if Activision is trying to attract these people to make up for those who flock to Call of Duty, why deny them the platform?
Like I said, Destiny looks great, but $500 million worth of great? I’m not sure.

We’ll have to wait until July to get our first hands on it to see if it was worth the check. During its financial reports, Activision confirmed that a beta test would begin for Destiny this July on the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 first. No information for registration has been made available yet, but we’ll keep an eye out for it.

If the beta proves to be successful, I might have more hope in Destiny‘s outlook, but we’ll ultimately have to wait until launch on September 9th to see if Activision’s huge gamble will pay off. Destiny will be released for the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One.
jfreakofkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:47 AM   #8
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 22,475, Level: 93 Points: 22,475, Level: 93 Points: 22,475, Level: 93
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice View Post
Like anyone gives a damn.

Anyway, that is a staggering amount of money to gamble on Destiny. Don't get me wrong, I expect that it will be a good game, but still, it's astounding that they can spend that much money on a single game.
They're might need to make GTAV sales just to break even like Tanis said. Even with all the hype and Bungie's name, spending that much money on a new IP just sounds not only absolutely insane, but stupid too

Last edited by Megas75; 05-09-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Megas75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
Nintenduendo
Estupidez
Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82
User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Super Mushroom

My Mood: Cold
Nintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster NFF Annual Awards Profile of the Month Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 6

It's a huge move, but even a mild failure in sales with this isn't gonna put a kibosh on Activision's plans. This is just an indicator that AAA titles have gotten way too inflated.

Nintenduendo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nintenduendo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #10
Genolinkero
Star Shooter
Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1
User owns 1x Mr Saturn User owns 4x SNES Controller

My Mood: Goofy
Genolinkero is a jewel in the roughGenolinkero is a jewel in the roughGenolinkero is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
Brawl AM First Time Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintenduendo View Post
It's a huge move, but even a mild failure in sales with this isn't gonna put a kibosh on Activision's plans. This is just an indicator that AAA titles have gotten way too inflated.
I second this

Check out my Etsy Shop!
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Genolinkero is offline   Reply With Quote