Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Gaming News

Notices

Gaming News Gaming News around the world.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:01 AM   #1
jfreakofkorn
Posting freak
Points: 6,206, Level: 51 Points: 6,206, Level: 51 Points: 6,206, Level: 51

jfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards 
Total Awards: 1

Nintendo claimed 1994 was "The Year of the Cartridge"

http://www.gamespot.com/profile/benl...ridg/26058138/

by benleslie5 on May 13, 2014
May 13 2014

So twenty years ago Nintendo claim that the year 1994 was "The Year of the Cartridge" this was in fact true back at the time plus I wanted to contribute to GameSpot Video Game History Month since they are talking about their favourite games that were released over 20 years ago on various consoles like NES, Game Boy and the Sega Genesis.

During the year of 1994 before Sony released their console the PlayStation on December 3rd for Japan and 1995 for the rest of the world; both Sega and Nintendo released quite a good library of games that were all on cartridges before games got transferred to discs on home consoles.

Sega released a few good titles for the Sega Genesis like Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Street of Rage 3 and Earthworm Jim which was also released a year later for the SNES but it was released on the Genesis first. Don't get me wrong I grew up owning a Sega Genesis or what we called it in UK/Europe the Sega Mega Drive, I do remember playing Earthworm Jim an awful lot along with Sonic and Knuckles plus the clever feature that Sonic and Knuckles cartridge had was that you could play as Knuckles in Sonic 3 or if you had Sonic 2 you can play Knuckles in Sonic 2 by placing the Sonic 2 cartridge on top.

This was a clever idea couldn't remember if there were other games on the Sega Genesis that used the same idea before Sega released the 32X later in the year and we could all say that thing failed miserably on sales, this Sega's next move on trying to beat Nintendo on sales.

The SNES however released a ton of good games during that year from the likes of Donkey Kong Country which was one of the most creative games and was being developed by a company called Rare which produced later games like GoldenEye 007, Banjo-Kazooie and Battletoads if it wasn't for them Nintendo might have took a different direction for Donkey Kong when it came to future games in the franchise.

Also released during that year was Final Fantasy VI developed and published by Square and was released for the SNES as part of the Final Fantasy series. Set in a fantasy world with a technology level equivalent to that of the Second Industrial Revolution, the game's story focuses on a group of rebels as they seek to overthrow an imperial dictatorship.

The game features fourteen permanent playable characters, the most of any game in the main series; the game was known as Final Fantasy III when it was first released in North America, as the original Final Fantasy III had not been released outside of Japan at the time.

Super Metroid which was an action-adventure sci-fi and the third game in the Metroid series, due to its detailed and colorful graphics, cinematic elements and progressive, distinctive gameplay the game received universal acclaim, being considered today as one of the greatest video games of all time for a game that was released on the SNES even sites and magazines claimed this game as a classic.

During the 5th and 6th generation of gaming Nintendo still released games on cartridges for the Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS but their home consoles like the GameCube and Nintendo Wii all of their games were released on disc and keeping up with the likes of Sony and Microsoft there were a good selection games that were released on disc for both systems like Twilight Princess and Xenoblade Chronicles; but the recent sales for Nintendo's Wii U have crawled as $457 million loss this is a difficult time for Nintendo on trying to keep up on sales.

The Nintendo 3DS had a bit of a slow start to the beginning of launch and soon after a few more good games got released for the 3DS sales were through the roof with games like Pokémon X and Y, Professor Layton, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing and of course Monster Hunter selling millions over in Japan. I'm pretty sure that the sales for system will sell even more once Super Smash Brothers is released for the 3DS and Wii U plus Mario Kart 8 being released at the end of this month.

Nintendo does have one more trick up it's sleeves and will likely be mentioned at next month E3, first we had Skylanders and then Disney Infinity and it looks like Nintendo might be doing the same by releasing toys which would come to life when you place them on a special panel or likely on the Wii U pad if the idea goes forward.

You could play as your favourite Nintendo characters or even Pokémon monsters if they get their own game-toy styled game but Nintendo announced Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire for the 3DS being released worldwide this month it's likely that once again Nintendo could be saved by Pokémon since almost everyone the series for what it is on addicting gameplay and trying to collect all Pokémon along with PokeBank on transferring stuff back and forth like you would do with real banks but with money.
jfreakofkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
Pokeman
Good ol PT
Points: 13,897, Level: 76 Points: 13,897, Level: 76 Points: 13,897, Level: 76

My Mood: Woot
Pokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via Skype™ to Pokeman PSN ID: Pityflame WiiU ID: Pityflame
can't wait for year of the Iwata's retirement

Pokeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #3
Alice
Princess of NFF~
Points: 32,489, Level: 100 Points: 32,489, Level: 100 Points: 32,489, Level: 100
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Artistic
Alice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Member of the Month NFF Old Man Award NFF Annual Awards Level 100 Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Royalty Welcome Wagon Joker 
Total Awards: 14

Send a message via MSN to Alice Send a message via Skype™ to Alice 3DS Friend Code: 3711-7997-2642 Xbox Live Gamertag: ArktikAlice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeman View Post
can't wait for year of the Iwata's retirement
I'm imagining this being as big as the death of Morgan Freeman...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth
I spend many lonely nights wishing Alice would lock me in my bedchamber and pleasure me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderRebelNews via Skype
There are too few hours in a day for things like 'eating'
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote