Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Post away about anything in general just remember no content that would fit in other sections.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:54 AM   #1
Kid Dynamite
Über Zealot
Points: 609, Level: 12 Points: 609, Level: 12 Points: 609, Level: 12
User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Red Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Yellow Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Light Blue Chaos Emerald

My Mood: Fine
Kid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud of

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month Super Member Signature of the Month Poster NFF Annual Awards Member of the Month 
Total Awards: 6

Pirate Bay VS. Software Companies

Hey Everyone.

I used to use Pirate Bay a lot, but not much anymore. There is something that I'm curious about. Say that I want to download an antivirus program or any other app for that matter. From time to time I've been bitten by the virus bug in my efforts to download something for free. What I was curious about is that these big companies that make this software have to know that their programs are on that site. Would it be fair to say that they might be the ones infecting the torrent files? Maybe it could be from law enforcement.

One time I downloaded an app, scanned it with both Malwarebytes and my antivirus program (Avast Free) before I installed. No detections, so I though that I was in the clear until I noticed sudden errors on my computer about a week later. If these programs that I use detect and remove the infected files then how are these downloads damaging my pc? The only explanation I can think of is that they are the result of a little payback by the software companies. If not, then what's happening here? How the hell is Pirate Bay avoiding being shut down by the law?

"When You Hate Someone You Are Really Hating Yourself, Because Half Don't Know And The Other Half Don't Care."
Kid Dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #2
Pokeman
Good ol PT
Points: 13,897, Level: 76 Points: 13,897, Level: 76 Points: 13,897, Level: 76

My Mood: Woot
Pokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via Skype™ to Pokeman PSN ID: Pityflame WiiU ID: Pityflame
I generally only torrent things that have comments. I think companies who upload their stuff on torrent sites only track it so they can report them to the internet companies or whatever, not infect them with viruses.. but I could be wrong? I just never heard of that before.

To answer your why is it still up I'll just copypastarino this answer:

"It's like playing whack-a-mole, the entire site is like 30mb of data. It gets uploaded to a server and a domain name gets pointed to that server.
If the domain name gets taken you point a different one at the server.
If the server gets taken down you upload the site to a different one, and point the domain to that.
The Pirate Bay is just a collection of signposts, instruction leaflets on how you can get copyrighted material. "

It's why the website keeps changing from .se to .sx to .pe, etc

Pokeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:14 PM   #3
JemStar
Konata's booty
Points: 5,528, Level: 47 Points: 5,528, Level: 47 Points: 5,528, Level: 47

My Mood: Sleepy
JemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud of

Send a message via Skype™ to JemStar PSN ID: BlackChilliBean
Like Pokemon said, it's best to just go for ones with comments.
I do use the site, a lot of the URL's have been coming up at blocked so they just keep changing it. I use it often to keep up with Game of Thrones.
I've never gotten a virus that I know of from torrent sites though.

"I collect, not play." - Quinten talking about My Little Pony.
JemStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
Kid Dynamite
Über Zealot
User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Red Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Yellow Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Light Blue Chaos Emerald

Kid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud of

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month Super Member Signature of the Month Poster NFF Annual Awards Member of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemStar View Post
Like Pokemon said, it's best to just go for ones with comments.
I do use the site, a lot of the URL's have been coming up at blocked so they just keep changing it. I use it often to keep up with Game of Thrones.
I've never gotten a virus that I know of from torrent sites though.
Hi Jemstar.

Most viruses and malware are packed into the apps. Norton antivirus for example. The best way to avoid these is to not be a cheap skate like me and pay for the damn software. The movies and such are pretty clean. I often download Pawn Stars
and Ink Master. A couple of years ago I downloaded Malwarebytes Pro. The first thing I did after installing it was scan for malware. It detected 1 infected file. I checked my info and the description of the malware. It said: "Don't steal our software." lol

"When You Hate Someone You Are Really Hating Yourself, Because Half Don't Know And The Other Half Don't Care."
Old 05-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
Alice
----
Points: 32,720, Level: 100 Points: 32,720, Level: 100 Points: 32,720, Level: 100
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Artistic
Alice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Member of the Month NFF Old Man Award NFF Annual Awards Level 100 Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Royalty Welcome Wagon Joker 
Total Awards: 14

Send a message via MSN to Alice Send a message via Skype™ to Alice 3DS Friend Code: 3711-7997-2642 PSN ID: ArktikAlice Xbox Live Gamertag: ArktikAlice
I've never gotten a virus from a company discouraging pirating. I've gotten plenty of viruses, but that's what Webroot is for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth
I spend many lonely nights wishing Alice would lock me in my bedchamber and pleasure me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderRebelNews via Skype
There are too few hours in a day for things like 'eating'
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:37 PM   #6
Hakuryuu
D.D.
Points: 5,968, Level: 50 Points: 5,968, Level: 50 Points: 5,968, Level: 50
User owns 1x Warpstar

My Mood: Bored
Hakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Poster Signature of the Month Signature of the Month Princess Award 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via MSN to Hakuryuu Send a message via Skype™ to Hakuryuu 3DS Friend Code: 0044-3194-2141 PSN ID: daracakes WiiU ID: flareon
You don't always get viruses when you download from TBP. Check the comments like everyone else said. It's not being a cheapskate downloading a torrent for say, Photoshop, when PS retails for 1k minimum.

Hakuryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #7
Kid Dynamite
Über Zealot

Awards Showcase

Hey,

Since we're on the subject I feel that this screenshot deserves an encore.