Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Nintendo DS/DSI/3DS

Notices

Nintendo DS/DSI/3DS Anything Nintendo DS, DS Lite, 3DS, and DSi related.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:23 AM   #1
Mable
Pines
Points: 2,992, Level: 33 Points: 2,992, Level: 33 Points: 2,992, Level: 33
User owns 1x Poke Doll

Mable has a spectacular aura aboutMable has a spectacular aura aboutMable has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month Review of the Month Princess Award News Reporter Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 5

Code Name: STEAM

Code Name: STEAM is the next Nintendo 3DS game from the creators of Fire Emblem, the company announced today.
The cel-shaded steampunk game will launch next year for Nintendo 3DS. STEAM is in development with Intelligent Systems and is being headed by Hitoshi Yamagami, whose previous works include Xenoblade Chronicles and the Fire Emblem and Pokemon series.

"As you can tell from my history I have been working with Intelligent Systems for a long time and became a big fan of turn-based strategy, but I've always wanted to share these games with more people; this has been quite a challenge for me," Yamagami said during a presentation on the game.

"I have been sharing Mr. Yamagami's worries," added creative director Paul Patrascu. "I wonder why strategy games don't have more fans. The answer I came up with myself, perhaps in many strategy games, there is too much abstraction between the player and the game world. What happens is often dictated by invisible parameters and numbers you don't understand. The interfaces are often quite abstract."

STEAM stands for "Strike Team Eliminating the Alien Menace." The title is a team-based strategy game with some action game and shooter elements, is set in London during the middle of the 19th century. All machinery runs on steam. In the game, STEAM is a force created by Abraham Lincoln to defend the world from alien invaders. Players will harness this force to control different fighting units of up to four members and combat monsters. The game will also have some exploration elements and players will be able to swap between different characters in first-person point of view.

"We turned again to action games, to first-person shooters," Patrascu explained. "The thought process between a strategy game and a shooter are quite similar. You get some information about the environment and then you come up with a plan and then you execute a plan. You do that in a linear fashion in a game like Fire Emblem. In a shooter you have to solve problems in a non-linear fashion."

The game's main campaign is divided into missions, which are further divided into several maps. Players can unlock new weapons, characters, and boilers the items that let them harness steam as they play. Weapons are designed based on animal motifs that reflect the using character's personality, and each character has a special unique ability that can used once per map. The adversaries, the aliens, are based on creates from the mythology of H.P. Lovecraft. According to designers, the game will never play the same way twice.

Players will also collect medals throughout the game that will restore health and steam. However, using lots of medals will prevent players from obtaining some of the game's more powerful weapons later in the game.
According to art director Takako Sakai, the game's cartoony visual design was influenced by Silver Age comics. The soundtrack is being composed by Taishi Senda, who worked on the Advance Wars series.

"Since the GameBoy Advance, Advance Wars... the music has been composed by Taishi Senda, I think you noticed the similarities," Patrascu said. "I wanted the music of the game to reflect steampunk setting. Most of the arrangements use a stringy part, inspired by 19th century music, the heavy metal is inspired by the machinery."

There won't be online play, but developers said there will be a mode that is "multiplayer which will be online." There will be multiple modes.
"The goal of this game was to make a strategy game that would be as accessible to as many people as possible," Patrascu added.

Mable is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2014, 08:26 AM   #2
TokyoWarrior28
Points: 977, Level: 16 Points: 977, Level: 16 Points: 977, Level: 16

TokyoWarrior28 will become famous soon enough

Looks very cool!
Old 06-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #3
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 23,488, Level: 94 Points: 23,488, Level: 94 Points: 23,488, Level: 94
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

WiiU ID: Megas75
Pretty excited for this game. It looks a lot like Valkyria Chronicles, which I absolutely loved
Old 06-12-2014, 09:02 PM   #4
Rin
Nintendo King/Queen
Points: 39,442, Level: 100 Points: 39,442, Level: 100 Points: 39,442, Level: 100

Rin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant future

Awards Showcase
Royalty NFF 3rd Annual Award Level 100 Award Member of the Month Monster Poster Yoshi Poster 

Was reading all the stuff coming out of the roundtable about this and got hyped up some. Saw it in action and now I want it yesterday. Looks like it's gonna be a ****ing blast.
Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:23 PM   #5
Pokeman
Good ol PT
Points: 13,897, Level: 76 Points: 13,897, Level: 76 Points: 13,897, Level: 76

My Mood: Woot
Pokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via Skype™ to Pokeman PSN ID: Pityflame WiiU ID: Pityflame
I like Valkyria Chronicles, so I'm excited of course.

Pokeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:24 AM   #6
Rin
Nintendo King/Queen
Points: 39,442, Level: 100 Points: 39,442, Level: 100 Points: 39,442, Level: 100

Rin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant future

Awards Showcase
Royalty NFF 3rd Annual Award Level 100 Award Member of the Month Monster Poster Yoshi Poster 

Here's some gameplay from different areas if you want to see more of it in action.

It looks to be 4 different areas/levels so you can get a wider view of how it plays. Mostly the same info in the videos but oh well. Enjoy.

Edit: Updated the first Treehouse video with the official Nintendo cut. Better quality. Will do the same if the second round pops up as well.

Last edited by Rin; 06-13-2014 at 02:55 AM.
Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:31 PM   #7
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,061, Level: 100 Points: 38,061, Level: 100 Points: 38,061, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

Excited for this, didn't think I would be.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is offline   Reply With Quote