Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Daily Life Forum > Advice

Notices

Advice Have a personal issue, seek advice here

Old 07-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
JonasMessi14
Points: 129, Level: 2 Points: 129, Level: 2 Points: 129, Level: 2

JonasMessi14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Question Just started a gaming youtube channel.

I decided to make videos in the middle of my previous exams. And now I have 2videos. The reason why I wanted to start is because my father stood always in the way of my dreams (playing soccer, playing the piano,...) I watch gaming videos on youtube for 5years now. And while I was learning for an exam I came to the thought that I wanted to achieve Something in my childhood.

Now I started I take everything professional, I try my best to atleast have some viewers that come back with every upload. I don't want to become famous! I only want to make new friends all over the world...

If you have anymore advice that I don't already know, I'll take it with much care !!! Thanks for reading

youtube.com/user/JonasMessi13
JonasMessi14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2014, 03:36 PM   #2
Hakuryuu
D.D.
Points: 5,975, Level: 50 Points: 5,975, Level: 50 Points: 5,975, Level: 50
User owns 1x Warpstar

My Mood: Bored
Hakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to beholdHakuryuu is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Poster Signature of the Month Signature of the Month Princess Award 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via MSN to Hakuryuu Send a message via Skype™ to Hakuryuu 3DS Friend Code: 0044-3194-2141 PSN ID: daracakes WiiU ID: flareon
I really like your videos! The Pokemon Red one was neat! I'm happy that you can finally make videos and do what you want. That's pretty exciting.

I'm also a pretty big fan of Messi too. I was actually gonna comment on your username but I didn't want to seem stupid though.

Hakuryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hakuryuu For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
JonasMessi14

Talking Thanks for the reply!

What you said made me very happy It gave me a boost to make a new video. Write anything you want in the comment section below the video because it's pretty empty their Thanks Hakuryuu!
Old 07-21-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 59,783, Level: 100 Points: 59,783, Level: 100 Points: 59,783, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Lonely
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 16

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 0147-1346-8804 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: brandyn1994
The thing about YouTube is, there are so many gaming channels that it's not even funny. I think it is safe to say that is the biggest genre of video on YouTube. Sticking out from the crowd is going to be very, very difficult. This isn't to discourage you, as you should pursue your interests, but you have to keep this in mind going in. There are a sea of gamers on YouTube. You have to find something that will make you stick out.

Some people use really flashy editing and stylized visuals.
Others use humor.
Still others have really informative, documentary style vids.

Also, it's all about the approach. There are tons of people who do game reviews, rants, and opinion pieces and whatnot, but another approach is people who focus on Game Betas (Yuriofwind, Beta64, etc.) or Retrospectives with behind the scenes information and trivia on the franchise or console (TheGamingHistorian, The Nostalgic Gamer). Or some people just cover certain brands (Mystic, who exclusively covers PlayStation reviews and news; Da Kid, who covers Nintendo reviews and news, etc.

Cliches to avoid:
The "Angry" or "I don't really wanna review this but I guess I'll do it for you guys" shtick. (aka AVGN, Nostalgia Critic, or their clones)
Super flashy, ADHD style (modern JonTron, Caddy, PeanutButterGamer, etc.) - some people really like these guys and that's fine. I just find them mostly flash and little substance. Presentation is one thing but these videos take it a bit too far in my opinion.

You just have to find what works for you. Best of luck.

Last edited by Brandyn; 07-21-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Brandyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brandyn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
JonasMessi14

Thanks for ALL the advice you just gave me, Brandyn! I already considered that I probably won't become big, but I'm already happy if I make new friends on my path. For now I highly edit my videos and I'm still a tiny bit nervous. But that will become all fine! I thought that the idea of my channel was pretty fresh. So I hope that will benefit me a bit in the future. I will only make videos if I have fun while doing it. I also know most of the youtubers you wrote about.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:56 PM   #6
Pokeman
Good ol PT
Points: 13,897, Level: 76 Points: 13,897, Level: 76 Points: 13,897, Level: 76

My Mood: Woot
Pokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via Skype™ to Pokeman PSN ID: Pityflame WiiU ID: Pityflame
I think you did a good amount of editing, and it didn't take anything away or make you seem like you're trying too hard either

Last edited by Pokeman; 07-21-2014 at 07:07 PM.
Pokeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pokeman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #7
JonasMessi14

Pokeman, that's actually really good to know. I take your post very positively

Tags
advice, childhood, dreams, friends, youtube