Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > General Chat > WorldWide News, Politics & Religion

Notices

WorldWide News, Politics & Religion Title Says It All

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 11:44 AM   #1
marvman3
Rockn Dude
Points: 16,100, Level: 81 Points: 16,100, Level: 81 Points: 16,100, Level: 81

My Mood: Rockn
marvman3 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvman3 has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster Joker Mufasa 
Total Awards: 4

PSN ID: PSN ID- marvman3 Xbox Live Gamertag: NOT AVAILABLE FOR ONLINE PLAY
An Atheist's Perspective

For all ya Atheists and Non-Atheists out there.
Here's what one prominent Atheist sees in life...

An Atheist's reflection on the meaning of Life.
by: Adrian Barnett

One of the major misconceptions about atheists is that we have little or no respect for life - human or otherwise. Because we think that all life is some accidental freak of nature there is no meaning or purpose to it all, and it is all pretty worthless. We cannot possibly gain the same enjoyment and fulfillment from living that believers do. We care nothing for the suffering of others, as they're all just wormfood in the end.

What fresh lunacy is this? (to quote Harry Hill.)

Yes, life on this planet is a lucky accident, probably similar to countless other emergences of life on other planets. No, there is no particular purpose or meaning behind it all - why should there be? What right do we have to consider ourselves special?

However, as an atheist, I consider all (well, most) life to be sacred (if I can use such a word). Atheists know that we only get one chance at life. This is it. This is all you get. No reincarnation, no heaven or hell, no second chances. You only get one go, and to mess it up or waste it is the most terrible thing.

Make the most of your brief span of awareness. Educate yourself so that you can see the wonders of the universe for what they are, without the fog of religious belief. Swim in the Indian Ocean. Watch the sunset at Uluru (Ayer's Rock). Tickle a baby. Climb a tree. Learn to unicyle. Massage your partner. Take up pottery.

Gain pleasure from making other peoples' lives better. Some people live in appalling conditions, earning in a week what you might earn in one hour (if that). Support an orphanage.

Some theists seem to have this bizarre notion that atheists are sad, dreary, selfish people who only ever consider themselves, have no concern for anyone else and mope around all day wondering how they can get to Heaven without having to believe in Jesus and be nice to people. (Funny just how wrong some people can be, isn't it?)

I am often asked "Why bother? If life is a meaningless accident, with no ultimate goal or purpose, why not just kill yourself now? Why not even go on a killing spree and end the worthless lives of everybody else? What stops you ending it all?" To which I would reply - "Have you ever built a snowman?" After all, snowmen are ephemeral objects, soon to be melted in the sun. A snowman has no ultimate purpose or goal, and in a few weeks there will be no trace of it's ever existing. We build snowmen because all of us, theists and atheists, live here and now. In the context of our own brief mortal lives, we are able to enjoy this life and gain pleasure from ultimately pointless acts. It is fun to build a snowman, or climb a mountain, or watch the sunset, or go for a long cycle ride in the countryside. The purpose of these things is not "out there" somewhere, waiting to be achieved - the meaning is in what it means to ourselves. I am not overly concerned about some future fifty billion years from now, but I am concerned about the future of humanity here, now and for the generations that follow. That is the context of a mortal life, and that is why I "bother" to live and damn well have fun while I'm doing it.

There is no meaning to life itself. There is no purpose to the universe. You can, however, give life meaning through your actions. Make the world a better place for yourself, your contemporaries and your descendents.

Atheists can, and often do, lead a full and enjoyable life. We know that this is all we get, and all that everybody else gets, so we do the best that we can for ourselves and others. It's no good praying for people dying in a third-world country - there's no God to help them, only people. If people don't do it, nobody else will. I am sickened whenever there is a major disaster in the world, and some politician or church leader says that the victims desperately need our prayers. No they don't. They need someone to go and dig them out of the rubble, comfort the bereaved, find out why the plane crashed, bring them food and medicine. Prayer is not going to do that - people are. There is an orphanage in Kenya, called the Diani Childrens Village. The kids there have no family at all, and live in, well... a hovel. Do they need prayers and Bibles, or do they need love, money, food, clothes and education?

As an atheist, I consider all life to be sacred. A life and a mind are terrible things to waste. Make the most of them while you can, and help others do the same.

Is that such a Bad Thing?

Aight,
how bout them apples?...

Rockn.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
Ender
Don't mess wif him
Points: 3,031, Level: 33 Points: 3,031, Level: 33 Points: 3,031, Level: 33
User owns 1x Cucoo User owns 1x Tanooki Suit

My Mood: Nerdy
Ender is a jewel in the roughEnder is a jewel in the roughEnder is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF 1st Annual Award NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 2

Xbox Live Gamertag: batmanbirdboy
Marvman, thank you for posting this.
I've never heard of this guy before, but this is EXACTLY my worldview as an atheist.

And I love that his response to "Why don't you just kill everyone?" is "Have you ever built a snowman?"

I treasure human life, and I believe that we should live to make the HERE and NOW a better place for everyone, not doing stupid things to mess it up with the hope of an afterlife nobody knows exists...

Carpe Diem, guys.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
Lukario
Strangers
Points: 12,410, Level: 72 Points: 12,410, Level: 72 Points: 12,410, Level: 72

Lukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Super Member NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster NFF 3rd Annual Award Super Member NFF Artist Joker Inventor Award 
Total Awards: 10

Xbox Live Gamertag: deadDEFINED
Most of this seems to make sense. It certainly explains what he thinks, but does not necessarily represent everyone's opinion. I, for one, treat everyone the same, no matter what religion they are, whether they follow it or not. But the only people who seem to think that Atheists are a bunch of evil monsters are over-zealous. I think nothing less of an Atheist than of a Christian.

Lukario
Old 09-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
Ling
Posting freak
Points: 3,941, Level: 39 Points: 3,941, Level: 39 Points: 3,941, Level: 39
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance

Ling is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Ling Send a message via MSN to Ling Send a message via Yahoo to Ling Send a message via Skype™ to Ling
If there were no God, there would be no Atheists
Old 09-20-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
Princess Elle
Nintendo King/Queen
Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83

My Mood: Angelic
Princess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Yoshi Sheriff Medic Princess Award Poster NFF Promoter 
Total Awards: 8

Send a message via ICQ to Princess Elle Send a message via AIM to Princess Elle Send a message via MSN to Princess Elle Send a message via Yahoo to Princess Elle Send a message via Skype™ to Princess Elle PSN ID: ElleFan98 Xbox Live Gamertag: Willgetonesoon
@Ling, Umm... What?
Sometimes we fall...so
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus and live!
- Untitled Hymn (Come To Jesus) -
-Chris Rice-
Old 09-20-2008, 07:03 PM   #6
Ender
Don't mess wif him

Ender is a jewel in the roughEnder is a jewel in the roughEnder is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ling View Post
If there were no God, there would be no Atheists
Nope. There is no god, and I'm still here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukario View Post
But the only people who seem to think that Atheists are a bunch of evil monsters are over-zealous. I think nothing less of an Atheist than of a Christian.
There's a reason that while a woman or black person can be the next president, New York has a blind black governor, and there have been various gay elected officials, you will never see an atheist win office. They are the last acceptable prejudice. Even though there is a separation of church and state, people still seem to believe that atheists=satanists, or atheists=communists, or some other connection drawn together from propaganda and hearsay. When in fact, most atheists are like the above writer: normal human beings. Not nihilists, not Nazis, not dirty commie bastards. Just people.
So I think it's a little naive to say that the only people who think less of atheists are over-zealous. Because even if a candidate was a freakin' saint, if he said he didn't believe in god, he would never get elected.
Period.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #7
Virtual Anomoly
I invented Chivalry
Points: 1,018, Level: 17 Points: 1,018, Level: 17 Points: 1,018, Level: 17

Virtual Anomoly We have a Nintendo Fan in the Making

Awards Showcase
NFF 1st Annual Award 
Total Awards: 1

Atheist are rather interesting :/ I never know what to say if one of them sneezes i cant say"God bless you"I guess ill be forced to say"when you die nothing happens" Anyways very nicely written marvman

L.

When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.
Virtual Anomoly(09:42:23 PM): I'm so bored of the bleak world of today

Super Chip(09:42:33 PM): Wanna burn it all to the ground?

Old 09-21-2008, 10:04 PM   #8
Ender
Don't mess wif him

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Anomoly View Post
Atheist are rather interesting :/ I never know what to say if one of them sneezes i cant say"God bless you"I guess ill be forced to say"when you die nothing happens" Anyways very nicely written marvman

L.
Contrary to Dane Cook, you can tell an atheist god bless you.

I even say it myself, except I usually just say bless you....

It's a sign of good will....
Closed Thread