Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo DS Reviews

Notices

Nintendo DS Reviews Section for all Nintendo DS and DSI Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Mario Kart DS
Mario Kart DS
Keyman4
Published by Keyman4
10-28-2008
Author review
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
10%10%10%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 70%
Mario Kart DS

Mario Kart has been a very popular and fun racing game since 1992! You play as one of your favorite Mario characters and race them in a lot of impressive tracks and try to slow them down by using objects such as a banana, koopa shell(s) etc. The last entry (and first portable entry),Super Circuit was very fun and the graphics were pretty good for a GBA. Double Dash was also fun with one person driving the kart while the other player throws an item at nearby competitors and came in store with AMAZING graphics! The others, Mario Kart 64 and Super Mario Kart weren't as fun as this generation's entries. Now Mario Kart DS has came out and you expect the same gameplay and fun as the other entries,right? Join me, Nintendo Fan Forum member as I tell you about the most recent Mario Kart game!

When you first turn this game on and see the title screen, you know you're in for another Mario Kart classsic. The game asks you what mode you want to play and when you choose, you go to select your class (50cc 100cc 150cc and 150cc Mirrormode) and then after that you choose a person to play as. The emblem editor on here is a really nice edition to the series and you can draw almost any symbol you can think of. The game offers a nice selection of both new and classic tracks from the brand new DK Pass to the classic Choco Mountain track from the n64. Mario Kart DS does have have frustrating points like evey game does. In one part, I was playing the Donut Plains level on 150cc and everytime I was in first place, either one: I would get hit by a blue shell ( hate hate HATE those things!) or two: someone would strangely get in front of me even while I was going full speed! The game does have a very nice challenge to it. This includes dodging pinballs from the Waluigi Pinball level, going through fire rings on Wario's stadium, turning sharp turns on the Delfino Isle level and.... I'm not going to say the rest because you have to play the game to find out!

If you get tired of racing oppoments, then you can try the battle mode which consits of Sprite Runners and Balloon Battle. Sprite Runners is a very fun game where you can play alone or have a team of computer controlled figures. You have to get all the sprites within a time limit and have to prevent the oppoments from getting them at the same time. Balloon Battle is a bit more confusing where you have to pop a players balloon and...it's to confusing.Play the game to see why

Now we come to Mission Mode, featuring missions that deals with collecting gold coins to driving a track backwards. This mode also features some bosses from Super Mario 64 including King Boo, Chief Chilly, Big Bob-Omb, and more. Fighting these bosses are done in a nice style from throwing shells to Eyerok's eye to pushing Chief Chilly off an arena by speed boosting right into him.

Now we get down to the basics......

Graphics: This game looks really good on the DS with colorful backgrounds and a surprisingly good animation set. Levels such as Rainbow Road and Waluigi's Pinball look absolutely amazing! Graphics get a 10/10
Attachment 29
Controls:The controls are really simple and easy to learn. You use the A button to drive,Y to brake, R to hop and powerslide, start to pause, L to use items, and the D- Pad to steer your driver.The touch screen is for menu navigation and map changing.Controls get a 9/10
Attachment 30

Fun Factor: This game will keep you busy for hours and hours. Trust me on that one. Fun Factor gets a 10/10
Attachment 31

Length: The game will probably take a day or two to complete, depending on how long you play it. Length gets 8/10

Challenge: Like always, Nintendo tends to make their game easy at the beginning and very challenging as it progresses and this is no exception. The Mirror Mode is especially hard. Challenge gets a 9/10
Attachment 32

Sound: The music on this game is very well constructed and is very nice. The sounds are like most Mario Kart game. Music gets a 8.5/10

Overall: 9/10. This game is another Mario Kart classic and any fan of the series will really enjoy this entry and WILL be entertained for a long time. I even stayed up late to play this game, even though I'm not really into racing games. -Keyman4
Published by
The Mega Master
Keyman4 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Keyman4
Sponsored Links
By op89x on 10-28-2008, 05:34 PM
Correction: Mario Kart has been a popular racing game for well over a decade, almost two. It came out in 1992 for the SNES.
By Keyman4 on 10-28-2008, 05:36 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
10%10%10%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 70%
Quote:
Originally Posted by op89x View Post
Correction: Mario Kart has been a popular racing game for well over a decade, almost two. It came out in 1992 for the SNES.
Thanks for correction my mistake!
By smashfan120 on 10-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Good review.
By Blitz on 10-29-2008, 12:04 PM
I think MKDS is a very fun and great racing game to play, but soon after you unlock everything in the game itself, it gets kind of boring.
By Mario on 10-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Great review keyman!!! Well done!
By Mimi on 11-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Niice Keyman! I Love MKDS!! >=]
By Mike16r on 11-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Mario Kart DS is a really enjoyable and entertaining game. Racing against others is both competitive and fun.
By SegaSlayer33 on 12-15-2008, 10:59 PM
I reckon its lastability is fragile. Unless you have Wi-Fi, you will get bored of this game after Mirror.
Comment

Tags
mario kart