Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > General Chat > WorldWide News, Politics & Religion

Notices

WorldWide News, Politics & Religion Title Says It All

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
marvman3
Rockn Dude
Points: 16,100, Level: 81 Points: 16,100, Level: 81 Points: 16,100, Level: 81

My Mood: Rockn
marvman3 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvman3 has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster Joker Mufasa 
Total Awards: 4

PSN ID: PSN ID- marvman3 Xbox Live Gamertag: NOT AVAILABLE FOR ONLINE PLAY
Reward Offered for Missing Xbox Gamer

Check this out....

Reward offered for missing Xbox gamer

Agence France-Presse
First Posted 06:03:00 10/29/2008

OTTAWA -- US software behemoth Microsoft has doubled a cash reward for information on the whereabouts of a Canadian boy who ran away from home after his father took away his Xbox game console, it said Tuesday.

Brandon Crisp, 15, took off on his bicycle from his Barrie, Ontario home on October 13 -- Canada's Thanksgiving holiday -- and rode east along an old rail line.

He has not been seen since.

His father told local media he had removed Brandon's Xbox, built by Microsoft, after noticing changes in behavior since Brandon started playing "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare" online.

The boy started skipping school, stealing money and ignoring his studies, his father said.

A local newspaper, the family's Internet service provider and Child Find offered a 25,000-dollar (US$19,500) reward for information leading to his return.

Microsoft topped it up with another $25,000, the company said Tuesday in an email to AFP, "hoping for his swift return."

"Like everyone, we are deeply worried about the disappearance of Brandon Crisp," the company said.

Exhaustive searches have not turned up a single clue beyond the boy's bicycle, found last week with a flat tire.

Police are said to be examining who Brandon played with online. "Law enforcement has contacted Microsoft about this matter and we are cooperating fully with them," said Microsoft.

On Sunday, 1,600 volunteer searchers packed up their reflective vests and ended their efforts to find him, while police stopped their air and water search.

In an interview with the daily Globe and Mail, the boy's father, Steve Crisp, said he had not known how important the gaming system was to his son and how he would react when it was taken away.

Experts commented that gamers may form bonds with fellow online players.

"This had become his identity, and I didn't realize how in-depth this was until I took his Xbox away," Steve Crisp told the Globe and Mail. "That's like cutting his legs off."

"This is such an issue that hits every parent out there, with video games that are starting to control our kids' lives," he said.

"I just took away his identity, so I can understand why he got so mad and took off. Before, I couldn't understand why he was taking off for taking his game away."

Now, Brandon's father says he just wants his son to come home.

This is sad....

Wow....

Goes to show how much "gaming aka online interaction",
or even gaming forums.....such as this....
have an impact on younguns and even adult's lives.....

An online persona/identity is one thing,
but In Real Life social interaction and living
is the main thing here, and is how the physical world runs.

What kind of affect does the kid think he would make,
by running away???

Just.....sad.....

And now Microsoft matches the reward!

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-12377,00.html

Just to show that they "care".....while robbing us blind
with addictive FPS games, and showing kids how to jack cars
and kill......real nice Microsoft....show that you care.

Source of Interest

Rockn.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
Ling
Posting freak
Points: 3,941, Level: 39 Points: 3,941, Level: 39 Points: 3,941, Level: 39
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance

Ling is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Ling Send a message via MSN to Ling Send a message via Yahoo to Ling Send a message via Skype™ to Ling
Wow this is crazy!
Old 10-30-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
Ender
Don't mess wif him
Points: 3,031, Level: 33 Points: 3,031, Level: 33 Points: 3,031, Level: 33
User owns 1x Cucoo User owns 1x Tanooki Suit

My Mood: Nerdy
Ender is a jewel in the roughEnder is a jewel in the roughEnder is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF 1st Annual Award NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 2

Xbox Live Gamertag: batmanbirdboy
I think it's, well, NICE isn't the word I'd use, but at least a good PR move.
I really don't think that Microsoft is responsible for this kid. I think the parents should monitor their children, and actually interact with them so they don't only have video games to rely on for social interaction. Plus, the kid is fifteen...why is he allowed to play a violent FPS like this, especially online??
Old 10-30-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
SeanMi
Points: 5,973, Level: 50 Points: 5,973, Level: 50 Points: 5,973, Level: 50
User owns 1x Bob-omb User owns 1x Yoshi Egg User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Super Mushroom User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

SeanMi has a spectacular aura aboutSeanMi has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 3

PSN ID: SeanMi-ghty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
I think it's, well, NICE isn't the word I'd use, but at least a good PR move.
I really don't think that Microsoft is responsible for this kid. I think the parents should monitor their children, and actually interact with them so they don't only have video games to rely on for social interaction. Plus, the kid is fifteen...why is he allowed to play a violent FPS like this, especially online??
i agree.
but some kids can handle violent games. I been playing Perfect Dark since i was like 10. If you understand between whats right and wrong, Fantasy and real life.
If the parent see's him go too crazy with it, then take it away.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:45 PM   #5
Lukario
Strangers
Points: 12,473, Level: 73 Points: 12,473, Level: 73 Points: 12,473, Level: 73

Lukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Super Member NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster NFF 3rd Annual Award Super Member NFF Artist Joker Inventor Award 
Total Awards: 10

Xbox Live Gamertag: deadDEFINED
What I find is sad is the dad feels sorry that he took the Xbox away. This kid needs to get a damn social life. I mean, if he wants to act like a scoundrel and skip school, steal, and ignore his school, he can live just like the soldiers do in CoD.

Lukario
Old 10-30-2008, 10:22 PM   #6
smashfan120
Sir Smash
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Blue Shell User owns 1x Golden Mushroom

smashfan120 We have a Nintendo Fan in the Making

Awards Showcase
Royalty NFF 1st Annual Award SSBB Tourney Winner Game Reviewer SSBB Tourney Winner 
Total Awards: 5

Send a message via AIM to smashfan120 PSN ID: anthonyx101
If whoever finds that boy will be really lucky.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:11 AM   #7
Lukario
Strangers
Points: 12,473, Level: 73 Points: 12,473, Level: 73 Points: 12,473, Level: 73

Lukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Super Member NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster NFF 3rd Annual Award Super Member NFF Artist Joker Inventor Award 
Total Awards: 10

Xbox Live Gamertag: deadDEFINED
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashfan120 View Post
If whoever finds that boy will be really lucky.
You're right. They'll have enought money to buy TEN Xbox 360s. If I was him, I'd convince him to run away more often.

Lukario
Old 10-31-2008, 11:50 PM   #8
op89x
Not on the review team
Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Water Element

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Even though I might not be Microsoft's biggest fan, I do feel sorry for them here. They've been put in a tight spot by this kid, even though Microsoft didn't make Call of Duty 4, and the game's rating suggests that this boy should have waited two more years to play the game.

Either way, it makes games in general look bad, and having Microsoft's name come up in the discussion is a huge blow to them. Once Hillary gets a hold of this, we're going to hear about it.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:25 PM   #9
Mike16r
Hidden
Points: 618, Level: 12 Points: 618, Level: 12 Points: 618, Level: 12
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Golden Mushroom User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Nunchuck User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel

My Mood: Spaced
Mike16r We have a Nintendo Fan in the Making

Awards Showcase
Royalty 
Total Awards: 1

The boy was just too addicted to games. Some people take extremes just for games.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:04 AM   #10
Desert Punk
Points: 104, Level: 2 Points: 104, Level: 2 Points: 104, Level: 2

Desert Punk is an unknown quantity at this point

Really I think its pathetic how this kid reacted. What ever he gets he deserves, hes an ungrateful brat. Kids need to learn that they can't let games run their lives and that their parents are trying to help them, but they are to arrogant to see that. More proof of how ungrateful he is, is the fact that he would put his parents through such hell and continues to do so.