Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > General Chat > WorldWide News, Politics & Religion

Notices

WorldWide News, Politics & Religion Title Says It All

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 10:57 PM   #1
SeanMi
Points: 5,973, Level: 50 Points: 5,973, Level: 50 Points: 5,973, Level: 50
User owns 1x Bob-omb User owns 1x Yoshi Egg User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Super Mushroom User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

SeanMi has a spectacular aura aboutSeanMi has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 3

PSN ID: SeanMi-ghty
Obama's own words...Energy Prices will skyrocket

In a Janurary 2008 interview with the San Fransico Chronical

http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/video.aspx?v=e46U2Gnzpr
Old 11-02-2008, 11:35 PM   #2
op89x
Not on the review team
Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Water Element

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Yeah, I remember hearing this interview and then waiting for the media to explode on it...but the only people that even commented on it were Fox News.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:42 AM   #3
Lukario
Strangers
Points: 12,361, Level: 72 Points: 12,361, Level: 72 Points: 12,361, Level: 72

Lukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Super Member NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster NFF 3rd Annual Award Super Member NFF Artist Joker Inventor Award 
Total Awards: 10

Xbox Live Gamertag: deadDEFINED
I love the background they chose for it.

But as to whether or not anyone brings this up, we'll have to see.

Lukario
Old 11-03-2008, 11:06 AM   #4
Ender
Don't mess wif him
Points: 3,031, Level: 33 Points: 3,031, Level: 33 Points: 3,031, Level: 33
User owns 1x Cucoo User owns 1x Tanooki Suit

My Mood: Nerdy
Ender is a jewel in the roughEnder is a jewel in the roughEnder is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF 1st Annual Award NFF Debater 

Xbox Live Gamertag: batmanbirdboy
Ok Sean, here is a transcript of that radio interview..."um"s and all.
The part in bold is what you're referring to. But it's taken out of context until you read the red highlighted part...

"You know, when I was asked earlier about the issue of coal, uh, you know — Under my plan of a cap and trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket. Even regardless of what I say about whether coal is good or bad. Because I’m capping greenhouse gases, coal power plants, you know, natural gas, you name it — whatever the plants were, whatever the industry was, uh, they would have to retrofit their operations. That will cost money. They will pass that money on to consumers.
They — you — you can already see what the arguments will be during the general election. People will say, “Ah, Obama and Al Gore, these folks, they’re going to destroy the economy, this is going to cost us eight trillion dollars,” or whatever their number is. Um, if you can’t persuade the American people that yes, there is going to be some increase in electricity rates on the front end, but that over the long term, because of combinations of more efficient energy usage, changing lightbulbs and more efficient appliance, but also technology improving how we can produce clean energy, the economy would benefit."

Essentially, he's saying that, DUH, yeah, to convert to cleaner, more efficient energy production, prices will rise in the meantime.
That's why people buy halogen light bulbs instead of regular ones...it costs a bit more, but the savings for the environment, and eventually, your energy costs, make it worth the switch.
I wish you would have wrote something more than just the title of the thread...your stance on this needs clarifying.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
op89x
Not on the review team
Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Water Element

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 

I don't think he's ignoring that. Anyone who's been following the election knows what Obama is talking about when discussing a cap and trade system, and know Obama's position on energy. The difference between the two candidates is that Obama wants to make this transition in a relatively short amount of time, which will put a greater strain on an economy where people are already struggling to pay their utility bills. And when the cost of energy rises, so does the cost of food and transportation (or any goods that are transported, which means anything you buy in a store). In other words, when energy prices go up, the prices of 99% of everything else rises as well.

McCain has the same goal as Obama, but his timetable is much more reasonable. McCain plans to do this over several years, drilling for more oil and building more power plants in order to soften the transition.

It's issues like this that made me change my position on the election.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:20 PM   #6
SeanMi
Points: 5,973, Level: 50 Points: 5,973, Level: 50 Points: 5,973, Level: 50
User owns 1x Bob-omb User owns 1x Yoshi Egg User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Super Mushroom User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

SeanMi has a spectacular aura aboutSeanMi has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 3

PSN ID: SeanMi-ghty
Quote:
Originally Posted by op89x View Post
I don't think he's ignoring that. Anyone who's been following the election knows what Obama is talking about when discussing a cap and trade system, and know Obama's position on energy. The difference between the two candidates is that Obama wants to make this transition in a relatively short amount of time, which will put a greater strain on an economy where people are already struggling to pay their utility bills. And when the cost of energy rises, so does the cost of food and transportation (or any goods that are transported, which means anything you buy in a store). In other words, when energy prices go up, the prices of 99% of everything else rises as well.

McCain has the same goal as Obama, but his timetable is much more reasonable. McCain plans to do this over several years, drilling for more oil and building more power plants in order to soften the transition.

It's issues like this that made me change my position on the election.
exactly, i agree.
In this slow economy... we can't make the change at a moment notice. Where would the money come from? A lot of our power is from coal, tax them and...BAM energy prices skyrocket. Obama said exactly what he will do, and that will hurt our economy even more so.
I do believe we do need to go into more clean and renewable energy, but you can't rush it or it will callaspe the economy.

I just can't believe this FINALLY gets reported on by larger media. 2 days before the election. Almost makes me sick.

Last edited by SeanMi; 11-03-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:20 PM   #7
Wiidude
One Cool Dude
Points: 10,495, Level: 68 Points: 10,495, Level: 68 Points: 10,495, Level: 68
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Nunchuck User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel

My Mood: Cool
Wiidude is a jewel in the roughWiidude is a jewel in the roughWiidude is a jewel in the roughWiidude is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty 

Wiidude thinks our economy is screwed.
Closed Thread