Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Gaming News

Notices

Gaming News Gaming News around the world.

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
YankeeFan802
A True Rocker
Points: 649, Level: 12 Points: 649, Level: 12 Points: 649, Level: 12

YankeeFan802 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to YankeeFan802 Send a message via MSN to YankeeFan802 Send a message via Skype™ to YankeeFan802
Miyamoto Wants 'Newer and Fresher' Mario and Zelda Games

"Nintendo mastermind Shigeru Miyamoto feels the most recent hardcore Nintendo games were a bit too conservative, according to the most recent and final part of his interview with Stephen Totilo on the MTV Multiplayer Blog. When asked about innovating within existing franchises, Miyamoto was surprisingly critical. "What I've been saying to our development teams recently is that The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess was not a bad game, by any means. But, still, it felt like there was something missing," he said. "And while, personally, I feel like Super Mario Galaxy was able to do some things that were very unique, at the same time, from another perspective, certain elements of it do feel somewhat conservative." He commented, "this is something I've been talking to both of those teams about," and that "hopefully [the next Mario and Zelda] will feel newer and fresher than their most recent versions."

He went on to explain that while many companies refine existing ideas, Nintendo likes to look elsewhere for inspiration. "Where I think we're able to innovate is we're able to find something that's a unique resource, or a unique idea or a unique sense of what is fun. Whereas, a lot of times in game development, teams might look at an interactive gameplay element that maybe isn't in and of itself a particularly fun thing to do. But then what they do is they refine it, they polish it very well, they put a lot of other elements around it and then that experience becomes fun."

As the interview went on, Miyamoto started candidly chatting with Totilo about innovative games, even turning the questions on the interviewer. When Totilo mentioned last year's Portal, Miyamoto commented, "I think Portal was an amazing game, too."

Finally, regarding the much-anticipated revival of Punch-Out!!, the famed developer is glad to be bringing the series back. "It's a game that people have been wanting for a very long time and we've had a number of people who have wanted to make a Punch-Out!! game," he said. "I'm working on that game as a producer. It will feel very classic. But at the same time, with the 3D polygons and the polygonal rendering of the characters, I think is going to make for some very nice cut-scenes and a little bit deeper story."

Miyamoto has long been a force in the game development community, and as he takes more of an overseer role his guidance may be able to add his unique touch to more games. Seeing as we already know new Zelda and Mario games are being developed, it will be interesting to see what new and fresh ideas come along with them. "

source
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
Dexter
Banned

Dexter is an unknown quantity at this point

Well now we are in the 742nd iteration of each game a little innovation would be nice.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
Spirit
Points: 1,866, Level: 25 Points: 1,866, Level: 25 Points: 1,866, Level: 25
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather

My Mood: Angelic
Spirit is on a distinguished road

Agreed. Need fresher Zelda games.

Beings of a lesser understanding or lower vibration will either be totally confused by their content or otherwise interpret them as negative information (dissonance) and will react as such. So disregard any comments that do not resonate as positive to you.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
op89x
Not on the review team
Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Water Element

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 
Total Awards: 2

I wonder what changes they will make. Maybe a co-op title for either franchise? Personally, I'd like to see something like Super Mario Bros. 3 combined with Super Mario 64. Throw some Yoshis in there for good measure, and we're set. Oh, and some co-op, so someone could play as Luigi.

Closed Thread