Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Nintendo Retro Consoles > Super Nintendo

Notices

Super Nintendo Super Nintendo section post here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
Siberianhusky89
Points: 2,740, Level: 31 Points: 2,740, Level: 31 Points: 2,740, Level: 31
User owns 1x Nintendo DS

Siberianhusky89 We have a Nintendo Fan in the Making

Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret Of The Mana 2)

One of the more popular Super Famicom (Japanese Super Nintendo) games. This game is an RPG and in America (though not released) is referred to as Secret of the Mana 2. Seiken Densetsu 3 has an interesting style and I will be discussing this game more than any other game that I have discussed, in other words, this will be a longer post than most of my other ones.

Back Story: The reason this game is considered as Secret of the Mana 2 is because in Japan, Secret of the Mana is referred to as Seiken Densetsu 2.

Game Style: First off, let me mention the first 6 character, not in detail, but just the capabilities. You have one fighter, one grappler, one thief, one magician, one clergyman (woman... girl...), and an amazon. You can only choose three characters, the first being your main character, and the rest you can choose in no significant order. You are all paired up in 3 groups. The game is (unfourtanetly) only 2 players (though luckily, there is a rom mod that allows you to play it 3 players online). Anyhow, the game has real time gameplay and a kind of turn based gameplay. What I mean is, you can fight by attacking your opponent using your weapon, but in order to use items and magic, you much switch to a screen that shows you your items and such, and you must choose what item/magic you decide to use and whom you decide to use it on. Anyhow, moving on.

Characters: There are 6 main characters, each with their own storyline. You can only choose 3 characters as I mentioned earlier, and each with their own class and personalities.

Duran: A young knight that has dreams of being one of the best in the kingdom. He's arrogant, rude, but somewhat kindhearted. His palace was attacked by a magic wizard and now he seeks revenge n stuff.

Kevin: Kevin is the son of the Beast King. He is a grappler (Fights with his fist and feet) who is kind, illiterate, and friendly. Kevin is only half a beastman, meaning he can't transform like the other Beastmen. His father came up with a plan in order for Kevin to relize his full potential as a beastman, however this plan involved Kevin killing his best friend and pet Carl. After discovering the truth, Kevin sets out to find a way to revive his best friend Carl.

Hawkeye (Hawk in the English Translation): Hawkeye is a thief who steals from the rich and delivers to the poor (Like an Arabic style Robin Hood), anyhow, the leader of their group has been acting strange ever since a female joined their group, he is later framed for killing his best friend and can not tell or else his best friend's sister will die by a necklace that's cursed. Hawkeye goes on a journey to find a way to destroy the curse.

Angela: The daughter of the Queen of Altena. Altena is the city of magic users. Oddly enough, Angela is the only one who is incapable of using magic, so her mother who has gone insane decides to sacrifice her so they could gain the most powerful magic, however, Angela escapes. Angela is rude, perverted, and lonely. She learns about a way to learn magic and sets out on a journey. She is a magician.

Carlie: Carlie is a sprite (she's half human and half elf) that was adopted by the Light Priest after her parents died. Her close friend Heath was kidnapped and Carlie goes out to seek him. Carlie is illiterate, courageous, a bit arrogant at times though, she would like help, but if she doesn't get it, she's willing to run off herself and fight. She is a Clergyman. (She uses holy powers and such)

Lisze (Lise in the English translation): She is the princess of Amazons. The palace was invaded, her father was killed, and her brother was kidnapped. She was kicked out of her own palace and she seeks to reclaim it and retrieve her brother back. She is the most balanced in my opinion.

Story: Check the characters

Anyhow, the coolest thing about this game is the class change section. There is no perfect class in this game, depending on who is your main, your classes would be more efficient in different ways. For more info on class changes and the game, go here.

http://mmxz.zophar.net/rpg/mana2/cla...sschanges.html

Class changing is more of a team priority, it can compliment other characters in your party mattering on where you go.

Now, time for the video because I'm too lazy to continue.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2008, 10:07 PM   #2
Desert Punk
Points: 104, Level: 2 Points: 104, Level: 2 Points: 104, Level: 2

Desert Punk is an unknown quantity at this point

I got the english fan dub its a good game but I don't believe it lived up to the first one as much as legend of mana did.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
faceless79
Points: 817, Level: 15 Points: 817, Level: 15 Points: 817, Level: 15

faceless79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via MSN to faceless79 Send a message via Yahoo to faceless79
ok how did you get the youtube code to work? i could never figure that damn thing out ( as you saw on my site)

Check out my sigs and avatars in my pictures folders
Old 11-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
Drakon
Goomba
Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1

Drakon is an unknown quantity at this point

one of the best rpgs that never made it over here for sure. But yeah...I prefer sd2
Old 01-31-2009, 11:23 PM   #5
Zaershan
Goomba
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1

Zaershan is an unknown quantity at this point

". The game is (unfourtanetly) only 2 players (though luckily, there is a rom mod that allows you to play it 3 players online)"

Can you give a link or direction to look for this rom mod to play with three players? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-01-2009, 01:36 AM   #6
op89x
Not on the review team
Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Water Element

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaershan View Post
". The game is (unfourtanetly) only 2 players (though luckily, there is a rom mod that allows you to play it 3 players online)"

Can you give a link or direction to look for this rom mod to play with three players? Thanks in advance!

Here's the link you wanted:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/179/

Old 12-04-2009, 03:55 AM   #7
Alice
----
Points: 32,720, Level: 100 Points: 32,720, Level: 100 Points: 32,720, Level: 100
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Artistic
Alice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Member of the Month NFF Old Man Award NFF Annual Awards Level 100 Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Royalty Welcome Wagon Joker 
Total Awards: 14

Send a message via MSN to Alice Send a message via Skype™ to Alice 3DS Friend Code: 3711-7997-2642 PSN ID: ArktikAlice Xbox Live Gamertag: ArktikAlice
Quite a fun game. i play it on an emulator (of course) and i have beaten almost every character's story, and i try different party combinations and spells, just out of boredom. The archdemon is my favorite final boss
Closed Thread