Nintendo Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Nintendo Retro Consoles > Super Nintendo

Notices

Super Nintendo Super Nintendo section post here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 12:46 AM   #1
Siberianhusky89
Points: 2,740, Level: 31 Points: 2,740, Level: 31 Points: 2,740, Level: 31
User owns 1x Nintendo DS

Siberianhusky89 We have a Nintendo Fan in the Making

Earthbound

!!!Warning!!!

If you don't want to hear a blatant truth of the game and anything negative about the game, please do not read the part that says "The Bad Side." Fanboys will not like what I have to say! If you're capable of tolerating such things, go ahead and read, if not please skip ahead. Also, please do not misenterprit what I say, I do NOT hate Earthbound, just what's happened to it.

!!!Warning!!!

THE BAD SIDE!

Please read the warning before going on. Now then, time to move on. Earthbound, "The best Super Nintendo to ever come out since ever happened..." That's probably the best joke I've ever heard in my-... Wait, you guys weren't joking?! Earthbound has turned into one of the most overrated games to ever come out for the Super Nintendo. Why? Well, let's go back to the day of Super Nintendo. Earthbound wasn't properly advertised, but at the same time, when people played it, they had fun without exaggerating how good it was. The game was not as popular as it is today. So, how did this game become so popular? 3 words that all of you will disagree with which would be a lie if you did by the way... Super Smash Bros... Now, you might be asking "What does THAT have to do with it?" I will tell you in the next paragraph.

Super Smash Bros. became a popular Nintendo 64 game. One of the secret unlockable characters was Ness. Ness became the most powerful character in the game and people started to wonder... "Where is this kid from? He's so Godly! That must mean his game is Godly too!" Best logic I've ever heard in my life, and if you didn't realize that was sarcasm, then I'm shocked. Anyhow, Earthbound became the "Best Super Nintendo RPG and game ever" because of Super Smash Bros. I have evidence to provide to my claim.

I showed friends Earthbound before the days of Super Smash Bros. and I quote "Yeah, sorry dude, this game is kinda shitty and it's just no my style." Not their exact words, but that's how they basically put it. Years later, Earthbound became popular and my so called friends stated "Dude, have you ever heard of Earthbound? Greatest game I've ever played." You can only imagine how pissed I was. Now, I've told people about this and here's their gay ass excuse... "They probably just had a change of heart." Yeah, cause that's the most logical thing I've heard, change of heart, got it, but know what guys, I think killing is wrong, but after seeing it in so many video games, I've had a change of heart : D.

Earthbound is said to be rare by loser fanboys who don't know shit. Thousands if not millions of copies were released into the U.S.A... Now, any loser fanboy would go like "Yeah? So? How's that not make it rare?" Well dude, let me ask this... Where did they go? Did they just leave Earth to go fight Giygas or something dude? I don't think so... Anyhow, people act like God himself jumped into the game and tried to make it the perfect SNES game, but then again these are coming from losers who've only played games with God Tier characters in Super Smash Bros.

Now then, the worst thing I ever hear from people... "This game is basically flawless and very original." The lie of all lies for this game. Time to name some flaws. The graphics are bland, I mean, a first person RPG that shows no real motions and just sound effects. The game is "hilarious" according to the people who don't laugh at any of the jokes such as "I just farted." Pretty damn funny to me if I was like 3 years old or something. But the game has the best music and every single song is good right? Wrooong... Some are actually kind of too weird that it sounds bad in a way. Now, the thing I can diss the least... The storyline...

The storyline will not be mentioned much in the bad side section. All I can say is that the storyline is somewhat weird. Now then... The style of the game... This is the most unique thing ever right? Nobody has ever done this type of thing before right? Wrongness U.S.A is about to happen... There's this game called Dragon Quest/Dragon Warriors that came out. What's so similar about these two games? Let's continue this on a new paragraph.

Now then, Dragon Quest is a turn based strategy. It uses a first person view style. Dragon Quest also uses humor in a good portion of the game. You lose half your money if you lose, but you can save money by storing it in a bank and you can also revive your party members by going to a priest... Why's this sound kind of similar to another game that I've heard of before? Hmmm... I've never heard of such a thing... Storing your money? Reviving party members by someone? Humor in an RPG? First person views? Hmmm... I wonder what would happen if someone gave a game like that a 90's theme and used aliens instead of monsters and dragons...

END OF THE BAD SIDE

That's the end of the bad side.

THE GOOD SIDE

Earthbound is a great game, not the best in my opinion, but still a great game. It's fun, a bit "quirky" kinda... But the game is unique in some ways.

First, the thing I think is most unique about the game, the storyline. I've never seen a classic turn based RPG have aliens that attack you instead of knights and such. Note by the way, I said turn based, realtime RPGs have had parts where you fight aliens. Anyhow, the prophecy thing has been pulled off, however, other than that, the story is really unique. Ness and friends must go and defeat an evil and powerful alien named Giygas, of course the story grows a little more complex.

The gameplay is in an odd sense, fun. You walk around, talk to people, figure out your way to move on to the next part of the game. Anyhow, you can see the enemies which ends the random battles sorta... (You can't really outrun them). Anyhow, if you get them from behind, you have first strike, and vise versa, so the gameplay has some unique things about them. Also, another unique thing is the scrolling health, while your health scrolls down, you can still have time to heal your friend before they faint. Anyhow, to talk, you can use R or you can, look through your items by pressing A and going to items, it's a bit more of a hassle to do ordinary things, but that's no big deal. Anyhow, the fighting style is turn based as I stated, so basically you wait for your turn to attack, use items, use PSI, ect...

The music is in a sense, great, but exaggerated. Not all the music is great, however, some of it is a bit impressive. In my opinion, the second half of the ending song is one of these impressive bits, the game mixes Beatles references in their songs sometimes, or uses some genres, some of the songs can be a little annoying, but otherwise, some of the songs are really interesting and took some skill, one example being "Battle Against An Unsettling Opponent", which literally uses a jazz improv method involving a double bass.

The game is actually pretty long with alot of jokes and humor involving popular culture, though (Fanboys wouldn't know this), the reason for that is not just to appeal to Western Culture but because Shigesato Itoi (The creator) loved Western pop culture. As a matter a fact, in the Japanese version, the Runaway Five look like the Blues Brothers (on purpose) and he was a HUGE Beatles fan (Just like myself). Though, fanboys would say "Nuh uh! He put the Beatles jokes to appeal to western culture!" Is this true? I'll give you a hint, the word starts with N and ends with o. I think it's badass that Itoi is a Beatles fan though.

Probably one of the more important things about the game. Itoi used Earthbound as a metaphor about how life gets scarier and scarier as you become older, wiser, and stronger. If you notice in the game, things are kind of happy in the beginning but become dimmer, darker, ect... Anyhow, it's a message n stuff.

Finishing with this. The game is great, but terribly overrated by fanboys who think that God Tiers should have God Games.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2009, 05:30 AM   #2
Xenon
The Space Pope
Points: 6,758, Level: 54 Points: 6,758, Level: 54 Points: 6,758, Level: 54
User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Master Ball

My Mood: Spaced
Xenon is a jewel in the roughXenon is a jewel in the roughXenon is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 4

I reckon Earthbound is pretty cool... Perhaps I'll buy an SNES and buy Earthbound...
Old 01-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
Siberianhusky89
User owns 1x Nintendo DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawler View Post
I reckon Earthbound is pretty cool... Perhaps I'll buy an SNES and buy Earthbound...
I honestly wouldn't recommend getting a SNES JUST for Earthbound, but if you mean get an SNES just for general SNES games, go ahead. Earthbound costs a bitch load because of how many fanboys there are. It's around 70+ dollars. I'm not even exaggerating. The game is NOT rare, but didn't sell well. There were many copies released, but people exaggerate it's rareness.

First off, the game didn't sell very well back in the day. What normally happens if a game doesn't sell is that the price lowers immensely and/or is sold to smaller gaming businesses, which hold on to them until someone sold. If that wasn't the case, I wouldn't see so many SNES and Genesis sports games (NFL ones mainly) at the Salvation Army, and they would have been dumped in the garbage a long time ago, but that's not my reason why I believe. If the game didn't sell and is still on the shelf, the owner would probably take it home or put it in storage or some crap, because what idiot would honestly through a game cartridge in the garbage? Not too many, I'll tell you that. The reason Earthbound is at a high price, and probably the ONLY reason is because of popular demand.

Anyhow, the game is great, but it's not the greatest SNES game ever, I'll tell you that.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
Skullz
Points: 8,587, Level: 62 Points: 8,587, Level: 62 Points: 8,587, Level: 62
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet

Skullz has a spectacular aura aboutSkullz has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

The "Bad Side" of Earthbound was pretty lame. It was basically just a rant against the fanbase, not the game itself. I was expecting something more towards the line of flaws in the actual game but there wasn't that many.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
op89x
Not on the review team
Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Water Element

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 
Total Awards: 2

The only negative thing he said about Earthbound in the first post was that the story was "a bit weird."

Old 01-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
Rai17
Actor
Points: 14,352, Level: 77 Points: 14,352, Level: 77 Points: 14,352, Level: 77
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Snake rope User owns 1x Yo-Yo User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom User owns 2x Super Mushroom User owns 1x Mr Saturn User owns 1x Invincibility Star
User owns 2x Rod Of Seasons User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 2x Daisy Flower User owns 1x Harp of Ages User owns 2x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Water Element

My Mood: Brooding
Rai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Yoshi NFF Old Man Award Celebrity Royalty NFF 3rd Annual Award Inventor Award NFF Promoter 
Total Awards: 9

I really like Earthbound... I've played Mother, Earthbound, and Mother 3...

~ Leftovers of a Genius

-My Twitter
--My YouTube
---My Instagram
----The NFF Facebook Page
Old 01-22-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
Siberianhusky89
User owns 1x Nintendo DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull Kid View Post
The "Bad Side" of Earthbound was pretty lame. It was basically just a rant against the fanbase, not the game itself. I was expecting something more towards the line of flaws in the actual game but there wasn't that many.
Sorry about that, the reason I didn't before is because I was a bit worried if I was saying too much, because if you say something about Earthbound that's bad, it's considered "trolling" in many cases. I will mention negative things about the game as well in this post

Negative parts of Gameplay: The gameplay is annoying at times, example, going through a list of what you want to do, and then you run out of space way too easily because of how many important items come into the game that you have to hold. At some points, there are just too many enemies that you can't really avoid them even by walking off screen and back on screen. Some places are kind of useless and are just there for the "fun of it". You get your last character very late in the game which doesn't really allow you to get to know him so well, especially since his first lines are something like, "I will be your slave." Which is pretty ****ing creepy in my opinion, why the Hell would people go crazy over someone that says THAT as his entrance, anyhow, you have to level him up like Hell but he can never completely or anywhere near sometimes, keep up. Some of your PSI moves are almost useless and go unused for almost the whole game. Jeff's weapons and gadgets are overpowered and he could run the game himself with those. Some of the status things are just plain annoying, who gets a sunburn every 3 minutes? Please? Tell me, I want to know. Some of the enemies (Though, I'm not too sure this is bad because it provides some challenge) become immensely overpowered in very short periods of time where the enemies would equal your level and then become really overpowered in the next section. There's probably more to mention, but I'm too lazy to type too long and want to move on.

Bad parts of Graphics: The graphics are decent for an SNES game, and if you think they're amazing, you obviously know nothing about SNES, go play Treasure Hunter G and compare it to Earthbound's graphics. Graphics though to be honest, isn't my highest priority when it comes to video games. Anyhow, the graphics aren't really GREAT but the're around average, the biggest thing I could complain about when it comes to graphics is the battle sequences. The picture thing doesn't really add excitement to fighting and the sound effects aren't as big a deal as people make it out to be, they make it sound like it's the greatest thing ever "OOOH! That's hilarious! A cracking of a baseball bat! You know! The thing Ness fights with! That makes so much sense so it's funny! Hahahahah." I really don't see what's so great about the baseball's sound FX, but I'll save some stuff for the sound section. Anyhow, I noticed throughout the whole game, you NEVER see a baseball bat, ever... Anyhow, the graphics are decent or at best, above average, but they're not something I'd tell someone about.

Bad parts of Sound/Music: The sound effects are cheezy, but they were ment to be, but they aren't really funny unless you're a Earthbound Fanboy. Anyhow, some of the music is kind of not only odd, but... Annoying. I mean, don't get me wrong, there are alot of good songs on Earthbound, but not all the songs are great, there were some songs that really didn't make sense (Which means it lacked a part of what MAKES a song) or sounded kind of too technoish or whatever. I will say this though, there are good songs such as most of the town songs, the sanctuary boss songs, and some enemy battle songs. Though, some of those enemy battle songs irritated me.

Bad part of the storyline: Eh, I can't really say too many bad things about the storyline since it was a unique one that was kind of good. Four kids are suppose to go out, and save the World from aliens, you never hear that in an RPG nowadays, but I've heard idiotic statements like "THERE IS NO PROBLEMS WITH EARTHBOUND EXCEPT THAT MAYBE THE STORY IS A LITTLE CLICHE!" which is completely retarded, also weird is not a bad thing, I never mentioned that. First off, when do you ever hear about 4 kids going out to fight ALIENS and many enemies that are trying to stop them from using telekentic powers in an RPG? Anyhow, I can't think of too many bad things to stay for the story, it was weird, but that's not a bad thing in my opinion, oh wait, one thing, I just remembered XD. The storyline is not really held together often, it's like, mentioned here and there, but not too much of it is ever really put out there all at once.

Sorry if I take too long to say the bad parts, I try to work my way up by stating things beforehand so I can reach what I want to say.

Bad parts of Characters: Ness never talks as the "silent hero" he is, except when you talk to yourself. Paula is friendly and nice. Jeff rarely talks and is embarrased by his bastard of a father who is a jerk in so many ways, however people seem to love him for some reason, maybe because he can make a door out of a toothpick, maybe because he wets his bed, who knows. Poo only says very little with the opening statement "I'll be your slave Ness (Or insert character's name there)." Now then, Tony is a gay teenager (literally) that can't get out of the closet and can apparently find out where Jeff is no matter what. Dr. Adronuts is a mean bitch and Jeff's father. Anyhow, some of the character's personalities don't develop too much, and you really only get to READ about their personalities and not see it for yourself.

Uniqueness: I can't say that Earthbound isn't unique at all, however, I can say that it's not really that unique. What do I mean? Well... I mean this... First person view RPG? Weird humor in the RPG? Places to put your money or else you lose half if you die? A healer so that if you're poisoned or whatever, you can get back to normal? Why... This sounds like a game called... Dragon Quest! Now then, before you guys say anything, Itoi directly showed his influence from the game Dragon Quest, does this make Earthbound any less better? **** no. Does it make it any less unique? Hell yeah. People say that Earthbound is basically just a futuristic version of Dragon Quest with space aliens put in. I'm not sure if I'd say that, but still, they're not too far apart in aspects.

Other: Now then, this part makes me realize something... People have a really baaaaad sense of humor. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Earthbound is HILARIOUS." from 18 year old guys... Seriously, is it really that funny? Maybe I've just seen many jokes in my life... That or people have a really shitty sense of humor... "The sanctuary boss is a Giant Ant... Oops! I did ANT mean to spoil it for you." My first reply to that joke... "Laaaaaaaaaaaaame." That was when I was like 8 or something around the first time I played Earthbound, I liked the game and the jokes would have probably been funny back then, other than the ant one, but that's just it, Itoi made those jokes for kids, 6 year olds, and such. Also, I get this hype on how amazing the "secrets" in the game are, but the only secret I've seen through the game is the 1/128 challenge... And what a bitch it is... By the time you get the first 2 items, it doesn't matter because you're already so leveled up it doesn't matter... The only other secret I can think of is going back to Onette and getting the shitty ass house for 100,000 or something just to get your picture taken. It's not really worth it unless you want everything in the game.

Anyhow, there's alot of things about the game that aren't most appealing and/or exaggerated.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:28 PM   #8
Skullz
Points: 8,587, Level: 62 Points: 8,587, Level: 62 Points: 8,587, Level: 62
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet

Skullz has a spectacular aura aboutSkullz has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Poster 

Well I don't see how expressing how you feel about a game is trolling but whatever. Anyways, yea I do agree with most of the stuff. I do think the game is "funny". It doesn't make me laugh but it's comic relief either way. Nothing I'd go laughing my ass off about though. The graphics aren't mind-blowing but they're not something I'd complain about. Although I do think the lack of battle sprites was pretty lazy on the creator's part. I haven't heard all of the music yet but so far they seem pretty simple and fun. I also agree with the annoying sunstroke status ailment. I hate how often it happens. And running out of space was definitely a major issue for me pretty much all the time. And a few things you didn't mention that I didn't like: I hated how going to a house to rest didn't heal your collapsed allies. Especially when there's no hospitals around to go to. And one thing that really gets on my nerves is when you get a new party member, they're at level one I believe. It's annoying because they're relatively useless the first bunch of battles they're in. They level up really fast but they did die quite often because certain enemies deal a hell of a lot of damage if you don't have a good amount of HP or decent defense.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #9
~Krystal~
Spiked Punch
Points: 2,371, Level: 29 Points: 2,371, Level: 29 Points: 2,371, Level: 29
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Nunchuck User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Purple Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald
User owns 1x Grey Chaos Emerald

My Mood: Inspired
~Krystal~ is just really nice~Krystal~ is just really nice~Krystal~ is just really nice~Krystal~ is just really nice

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster Princess Award 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via AIM to ~Krystal~ Send a message via MSN to ~Krystal~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Krystal~ Send a message via Skype™ to ~Krystal~
Had I not played Earthbound before Smash 64, theres no doubt I would of ended up like the EB acolytes who devote their entire being to the Mother series and still fail to realize what truly makes EB great. It's not the graphics (or lack thereof ha ha hee ho), most certainly not the gameplay, which tbh is rather bland, or the music either. It was how a game that wasn't special in any tangible way moved the emotions of human beings both young and old. EB made its mark by showing us that games which leave powerful impressions on a person are not found exclusively within the providence of spectacular scores, cutting edge visuals, or remarkable gameplay. Had Earthbound not told its story the way it did and presented it in the bare bones manner it did, it very well could have been considered one of the worst games of all time. EB, in a way, tricked many people into believing that what they were playing was the holy grail of the SNES and the game accomplished this with merely its presentation. Impressive.
The human world is but a fragile bubble in an infinitely vast and indifferent universe, isolated by great gulfs of both time and space. Though we consider ourselves masters of all creation, as a species our limited perceptions allow us to see only a fraction of the full range of reality.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:30 PM   #10
da Beef
Banned

da Beef will become famous soon enoughda Beef will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase
Poster 

i've tried to play Mother 3 and Earthbound, but i couldn't get in to either. it's worth mentioning that i had never heard of Ness or Earthbound until Super Smash Bros.

from a design standpoint it's just your standard RPG with some great humor thanks to an excellent translation. the gameplay is pretty bland as others have mentioned and doesn't deviate at all really from other RPGs.

the game is indeed very funny, and the story can be moving, but that alone couldn't carry me through hours and hours of tiring battles and formulaic progression by seeking out NPCs.

i get the appeal i guess, but i didn't really find either game to be fun.
Closed Thread