Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Published by SirManguydude
11-18-2008
Author review
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
95%95%95%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 99%
Link Old Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past was the last Zelda game on the Super Nintendo, and held up the legacy of the Zelda games. Many claim it as the best two dimensional Zelda game. Many of the other Zelda games that follow share similar plot lines with this game, so this sets the bars for all Zelda games to come.

As Link you must rescue Zelda from Peril while fighting off Ganon and his puppet Agahnim. Agahnim's goal is to send the offspring of the Sages that sent Ganon/Ganondorf into the Sacred Realm/Dark Realm, into the past. This could easily tie to the end of Ocarina of Time, where the sages sealed Ganondorf there.

Your first objective of the game is to infiltrate the Hyrule Castle which is guarded by the Hyrulian guard controlled by Agahnim, to rescue Zelda from the Dungeon before she is crystalized and sent into the past. You find your Uncle laying on the ground, for no apparent reason, and he gives you a sword and shield and tells you to continue on. After you rescue Zelda, you escape the castle through the sewer system, and arrive at a Sanctuary where you leave Zelda to find the Elders who know the location of the pendants needed to pull the Master Sword from its mystic stone.

Whilst you are off doing this, Agahnim's lackeys of course find Zelda, and you must chase them to Hyrule castle, and get into Agahnim's chamber. Sadly as you arrive you watch Zelda get put into a crystal and transported into the past. After you defeat Agahnim, using the baseball technic(hitting his energy balls back at him) You get teleported into the past, where you must rescue all the Daughters of the Sages who locked Ganon in the Sacred Realm, by going through 8 different dungeons.

Now I believe there is only one bad thing, which is the slowness of the game, which could of course be the fact that you don't feel as immersed in a 2D game, but back in its Hay Day before you had Epona, it had a great pace to it, because you really didn't know any better, but it had its transportion item, which would be a flying cuckoo who transported you to several areas. Also at points it was annoying, because you often had to switch inbetween the two worlds.

Graphics 10/10
For a Super Nintendo Game they were fantastic. Obviously, now they may look bad.

Story line 9.6/10
It was great, but my experience with the newer Zelda games, makes this game dry, since all the plot points have been reused at some point or another.

Music 10/10
Wow I am still amazed with the sound, cause it isn't your normal SNES bleeps and bloops, it almost sounds like it is orchestrated.

Controls 10/10
Controls are easy to use and remember.

Overall: 9.9/10
Definately worth finding this copy somewhere, if you don't have it, or finding it in someother way. If you do have it, this is the time to dust off the old SNES sitting in your closet, pray it works and play through again.

~Sir Manguydude

Published by
LoZ Expert
SirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond repute
Sponsored Links
By Mario on 11-19-2008, 08:53 AM
Very Nice review!!!!!

Good job!
By SirManguydude on 11-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
95%95%95%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 99%
Plus who wouldn't want to play a game with a commercial like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUAYO7Zyydk
By AlloftheAbove on 01-31-2009, 11:55 PM
Great game. I downloaded it on VC and it's wonderful. Though, I must admit, some parts were a tad confusing, overall, it's a great game that's worth getting by any means necessary.
By Saru786 on 02-01-2009, 12:00 AM
^ I agree with you Alloftheabove. You took the words right out of my mouth.
By SirManguydude on 02-01-2009, 01:55 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
95%95%95%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 99%
One of the more confusing parts is the fact that it keeps going between sending them to the Dark/Sacred Realm and the past.
By da Beef on 02-02-2009, 12:14 AM
this really was a groundbreaking game, but i can't help but feel it's been totally eclipsed by every Zelda since. especially the gameboy ones (Link's Awakening and the Oracles). imo those are the best 2d zeldas.
By Skullz on 02-25-2009, 05:27 PM
I never got to complete this game *crowd boos loudly*...but playing on a system emulator gets annoying sometimes but from what I played, it was a very great game with some cool and challenging bosses and dungeons. The weapons and items were also cool and it was fun progressing the game and doing side quests just to see what item you'll get next!
Comment