Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Sony PlayStation

Notices

Sony PlayStation Post anything relating to Sony PlayStation here.

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
Skreamo
The Anthrax Envelope
Points: 9,691, Level: 66 Points: 9,691, Level: 66 Points: 9,691, Level: 66
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Poke Ball User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Links Shield
User owns 1x Yoshi Egg User owns 1x Super Leaf User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Bullet Bill

My Mood: Spaced
Skreamo has a spectacular aura aboutSkreamo has a spectacular aura about

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Royalty Monster Poster NFF 1st Annual Award Poster 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via MSN to Skreamo Xbox Live Gamertag: AfterHatred
PS3 & 360 use 9 times the energy compared to the Wii

Video game consoles consume a "staggeringly high" amount of energy, according to a report the Natural Resources Defense Council is releasing on Wednesday. How much electricity do they use each year? About as much as it takes to power the city of San Diego.
There's plenty of room for improvement. We can cut our nation's electricity bill by more than $1 billion and avoid 7 million tons of carbon dioxide emissions each year, according to the report.
How much can you personally save? Depends on what brand you choose. The Sony Playstation 3 and Microsofts Xbox 360 use as much as nine times more energy than the Nintendo Wii.
Habits play a crucial role as well. The systems use nearly the same amount of power when they are turned on and idle as they do when you are actively playing a game or watching a movie. If left on continuously, the Playstation 3 or Xbox 360 will consume the same amount of energy as two new refrigerators over the course of a year.
Here's how the three major brands stack up against each other:

Image from NRDC "Lowering the Cost of Play" report
  • <LI style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px">
    Sony Playstation 3 is the most power-hungry model. For the 2007 version, you'll spend about $12 a year if you turn the console off when you're not using it, compared to about $134 if you leave it on all the time.
    <LI style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px">
    Microsoft Xbox 360 ranks a close second. If you shut it down when you're not playing a game or watching a movie, it costs about $11 to operate annually. Leaving it on continuously will cost you $103.
  • Nintendo Wii uses significantly less energy than the others. It costs about $3 a year if you turn it off after use, compared to about $10 if you don't.
The comprehensive report outlines significant changes industry needs to make. For now, though, here's what consumers can do to make a difference.
  • <LI style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px">
    Always turn the system off when you are done playing a game or watching a movie. Don't assume that just because you turn off the TV that your console shuts down too. It doesn't. If you're in the middle of the game, save it so that you can pick up where you left off.
    <LI style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px">
    Enable the automatic power down feature, which will shut down your device if it's left idle for a certain amount of time. This isn't always easy to do and you might need to install software first so click here for step-by-step instructions.
  • Limit movie watching on gaming devices. Viewing movies on a stand-alone unit is a lot more efficient. The Playstation 3, for example, uses five times more power than the stand-alone Sony Blu-Ray player to play the same movie
    Sooooooooource

Thanks you for mah Rhydon Tag, Mr.DLX<3
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
SeanMi
Points: 5,973, Level: 50 Points: 5,973, Level: 50 Points: 5,973, Level: 50
User owns 1x Bob-omb User owns 1x Yoshi Egg User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Super Mushroom User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

SeanMi has a spectacular aura aboutSeanMi has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 3

PSN ID: SeanMi-ghty
Nice find skreamo.
I don't see why someone will always have there system on (menu screen).
If i don't use my consles, i have them on standby (off)
Old 11-20-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
Syrepotet
Viking Woman
Points: 940, Level: 16 Points: 940, Level: 16 Points: 940, Level: 16

Syrepotet is an unknown quantity at this point

Awards Showcase
Princess Award 
Total Awards: 1

Oooh, Nintendo goes green!
Is it weird that I like the japanese? They really know how to make stuff.
I take out the contact when I don't use it. It saves power and it's safer. Allso, I take out all contacts in my room (lights, modem WLAN, stereo) at night and when I'm at school. Mostly because I pay for my own electricity, but allso because I'm dead scare of a fire. Couldn't take it if my dog burned to death.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:12 AM   #4
SeanMi
Points: 5,973, Level: 50 Points: 5,973, Level: 50 Points: 5,973, Level: 50
User owns 1x Bob-omb User owns 1x Yoshi Egg User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Super Mushroom User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

SeanMi has a spectacular aura aboutSeanMi has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 3

PSN ID: SeanMi-ghty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrepotet View Post
Oooh, Nintendo goes green!
Is it weird that I like the japanese? They really know how to make stuff.
I take out the contact when I don't use it. It saves power and it's safer. Allso, I take out all contacts in my room (lights, modem WLAN, stereo) at night and when I'm at school. Mostly because I pay for my own electricity, but allso because I'm dead scare of a fire. Couldn't take it if my dog burned to death.
Sony is also a japenese company (the PS3 is). there the highest lol.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
Mario
Just Chillaxin
Points: 52,003, Level: 100 Points: 52,003, Level: 100 Points: 52,003, Level: 100
User owns 1x Blue Shell User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Links Shield User owns 1x Gold Coin
User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Red Pikmin

My Mood: Gaming
Mario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF's 4th Annual Award Monster Poster NFF Old Man Award NFF 3rd Annual Award Royalty Level 100 Award Mufasa NFF 1st Annual Award 
Total Awards: 9

3DS Friend Code: 4450-2343-3333 WiiU ID: test123
Nice find...Wow Nintendo Wii is green. That's cool.

Started from the bottom, now we're here.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:19 AM   #6
ViciousGamer04
Banned

ViciousGamer04 is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase
NFF Referrer 

I used to leave my consoles on 24/7 as well as my tv but I have bettered my ways a while back lol. I still leave my PC on too often, though. I have reason's for that, though!

Anywayys. This article doesn't really suprise me. The wii isn't nearly as graphic intense as the 360 or PS3. I didn't realize how much energy a PS3/360 sucked up, though. I knew a lot but that's a bit tooo much. Almost makes me think these figures are wrong or made up.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:02 AM   #7
Princess Elle
Nintendo King/Queen
Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83

My Mood: Angelic
Princess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Yoshi Sheriff Medic Princess Award Poster NFF Promoter 
Total Awards: 8

Send a message via ICQ to Princess Elle Send a message via AIM to Princess Elle Send a message via MSN to Princess Elle Send a message via Yahoo to Princess Elle Send a message via Skype™ to Princess Elle PSN ID: ElleFan98 Xbox Live Gamertag: Willgetonesoon
I heard that using a PS3 for 1 hour uses as much energy as leaving a fridge open for 6 years
Sometimes we fall...so
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus and live!
- Untitled Hymn (Come To Jesus) -
-Chris Rice-
Old 12-18-2008, 09:34 AM   #8
Mario
Just Chillaxin
Points: 52,003, Level: 100 Points: 52,003, Level: 100 Points: 52,003, Level: 100
User owns 1x Blue Shell User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Links Shield User owns 1x Gold Coin
User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Red Pikmin

My Mood: Gaming
Mario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF's 4th Annual Award Monster Poster NFF Old Man Award NFF 3rd Annual Award Royalty Level 100 Award Mufasa NFF 1st Annual Award 
Total Awards: 9

3DS Friend Code: 4450-2343-3333 WiiU ID: test123
That would be pretty bad if it were true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Fanning View Post
I heard that using a PS3 for 1 hour uses as much energy as leaving a fridge open for 6 years

Started from the bottom, now we're here.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:00 AM   #9
Anubis
Lone Wolf
Points: 2,063, Level: 27 Points: 2,063, Level: 27 Points: 2,063, Level: 27
User owns 1x Nintendo DS

Anubis is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase
NFF 1st Annual Award 

Send a message via AIM to Anubis PSN ID: PSmonly Xbox Live Gamertag: monly0906
Haha, most Wiis are on 24 hours a day thanks to WiiConnect24, so that $3 is WAY off.

-=Sigs by me=-

Old 12-19-2008, 12:09 AM   #10
Domo Kun
Points: 112, Level: 2 Points: 112, Level: 2 Points: 112, Level: 2
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote

Domo Kun is an unknown quantity at this point

Pretty cool find, but isn't thats probably because the ps3/360 are much more powerful...
Closed Thread