Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > General Nintendo Section

Notices

General Nintendo Section All general Nintendo content here.

View Poll Results: What is your favorite Super Mario Bros. 3 Power-Up?
Mushroom 1 2.63%
Fire Flower 2 5.26%
Super Leaf 2 5.26%
Starman 4 10.53%
Hammer Brother Suit 12 31.58%
Tanooki Suit 8 21.05%
Frog Suit 5 13.16%
Kuribo's Shoe 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 11:01 PM   #1
~Krystal~
Spiked Punch
Points: 2,371, Level: 29 Points: 2,371, Level: 29 Points: 2,371, Level: 29
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Nunchuck User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Purple Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald
User owns 1x Grey Chaos Emerald

My Mood: Inspired
~Krystal~ is just really nice~Krystal~ is just really nice~Krystal~ is just really nice~Krystal~ is just really nice

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster Princess Award 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via AIM to ~Krystal~ Send a message via MSN to ~Krystal~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Krystal~ Send a message via Skype™ to ~Krystal~
Favorite Super Mario Bros. 3 Power-Up?

Yes, I'm sure weve all played it. The game is legendary. It launched the franchise to new heights and introduced concepts that changed Mario Bros. as we knew it. Back then, the idea of Mario flying was unheard of. Anyone who spoke of such an idea was labeled a heretic. "There is no way Mario can fly," they said. It was Mushrooms, Fire Flowers, and Stars until SMB 3 was released...

For some of you younger gamers out there, you have to understand that the idea of Mario being given the ability to fly was a big deal. It was cool as all Hell and the best thing since electricity as far as we were concerned. You can imagine the excitement people felt when it was discovered that Mario had other abilities as well. Whether it was delivering devastating hammers, cleverly tricking enemies by turning into statues, or soaring through the air, those power-ups reminded us just what made the Mario Brothers so special. Now that all if not most of us have played and beaten this game, I felt it would be interesting to take a look into the past and choose which SMB 3 power-up we love most.

Mushroom -
Enables Mario to grow bigger and as a result, endure an extra hit before being killed. Being the drug of choice for shroomers around the world is also why the Mushroom likely makes up 70% of all Mario Bros. related jokes.

Fire Flower -
Satan's wrath contained in the form of a delicate and radiant flower. This power-up enables Mario to throw fireballs and damn his enemies to Hell/Heck/Wal-Mart. A favorite among arsonists.

Super Leaf -
Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's...Mario? Taking on the appearance of a grown man in a racoon suit, Mario is able to fly and punish enemies with his tail. On a related note, some players prefer to use Mario's flying ability to rush through levels to become scarce to the many enemies which roam the levels and avoid battle altogether. Obviously a favorite among tree hugging hippies.

Starman -
The power of the Gods! Well...not exactly, but under the power of a Starman, you may as well be one. Mario is able to destroy all lifeforms on contact using this power-up and is immune to all physical and projectile damage. Don't jump off a cliff and expect to start flying though. This power-up has its limits and won't last forever.

Hammer Brother Suit -
Hammers struck fear into the hearts of SMB players and now they become available as a power-up in SMB 3. The hammers are the most powerful projectiles Mario has at his disposal. A unique feature this suit has is the ability to block fireballs while ducking since the shell on the suit is apparently fire-retardant. Theres also a matching helmet that comes with it. Talk about style! Don't expect to trip over these things though, because they're quite rare. The sublime techniques of the Hammer Bros. just can't be made available to anyone afterall.

Tanooki Suit -
What the impossible is made of. Allows Mario to take flight and turn into a statue in addition to the ability to smack enemies with a tail. However, a suit so nifty cannot be acquired through normal means. This particular suit is only found in Mushroom Houses and giant Question Blocks.

Frog Suit -
Being a frog has its perks, but it also has its disadvantages. In exchange for taking on the appearance of a frog, Mario's swimming ability is increased at the cost of his mobility on land. In this suit, Mario can also resist strong currents which would normally push others away. A somewhat situational suit, but it has its uses. Like the Tanooki Suit, it can only be found in Mushroom Houses and giant Question Blocks.

Kuribo's Shoe -
Available in only one level, its a short lived power-up, but still a notable one. While in this shoe, Mario can jump much higher than before and can kill enemies by landing on them with it. It can also be used in conjunction with a Fire Flower, essentially making Kuribo's Shoe a formidable makeshift tank by allowing Mario to throw fireballs while inside it. You can also travel across Munchers unharmed. Very nice indeed.

The Angry Sun -
No this isn't a power up. This my friend, is a dangerous enemy. Being airbone and hot enough to kill on contact presents enough problems as it is, but being immune to fireballs, tailwhips, and most certainly jumps doesn't make things easier. For some of you out there who haven't played SMB 3 in a while, I felt it would be a good idea to remind you of just what it will take to defeat the Angry Sun.

To challenge Angry Sun and win, you're going to need a hammer, shell, or Starman. Otherwise you're toast. Literally. His movement pattern resembles a U and he is reasonably fast. Don't get lazy or you'll end up as a buzzard's Thanksgiving meal after it locates your charred corpse.

Now let the voting begin!
The human world is but a fragile bubble in an infinitely vast and indifferent universe, isolated by great gulfs of both time and space. Though we consider ourselves masters of all creation, as a species our limited perceptions allow us to see only a fraction of the full range of reality.

Last edited by ~Krystal~; 12-02-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2008, 10:58 AM   #2
op89x
Not on the review team
Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Water Element

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Hammer Bro. Suit.

Let's steal these for the shop, eh?

Old 12-03-2008, 12:07 PM   #3
ゼルダ姫
Points: 1,796, Level: 24 Points: 1,796, Level: 24 Points: 1,796, Level: 24
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Nunchuck User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic

ゼルダ姫 is a jewel in the roughゼルダ姫 is a jewel in the roughゼルダ姫 is a jewel in the roughゼルダ姫 is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Profile of the Month Award NFF Old Man Award Princess Award 

Kuribo's Shoe!

Classic memories when I got to this level.
Plus, walking on spikes had never been so easy, =p
Old 12-03-2008, 12:54 PM   #4
Syrepotet
Viking Woman
Points: 940, Level: 16 Points: 940, Level: 16 Points: 940, Level: 16

Syrepotet is an unknown quantity at this point

Awards Showcase
Princess Award 
Total Awards: 1

I love the music when you get starman

Old 12-03-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
~Krystal~
Spiked Punch
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Nunchuck User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Purple Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald

~Krystal~ is just really nice~Krystal~ is just really nice~Krystal~ is just really nice~Krystal~ is just really nice

Awards Showcase

Send a message via AIM to ~Krystal~ Send a message via MSN to ~Krystal~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Krystal~ Send a message via Skype™ to ~Krystal~
Quote:
Originally Posted by op89x View Post
Hammer Bro. Suit.

Let's steal these for the shop, eh?
Good idea. I'm all for it.

Quote:
Kuribo's Shoe!

Classic memories when I got to this level.
Plus, walking on spikes had never been so easy, =p
I know rite? Top that Jesus.

Quote:
I love the music when you get starman
So do I. I chose Starman because not only is Mario impervious to all attacks, but he can perform a neat forward somersault. =o)

It's kind of funny how people first reacted to seeing Mario perform the same move in Super Mario 64. He had already done it in SMB 3 under Starman power years earlier. Guess seeing your favorite series go 3D for the first time makes you go nuts over every little thing. =oP

I almost forgot about this one folks. The above image is supposed to be the fabled Toad Suit. This suit was discarded from actual gameplay for unknown reasons and has no special functions to speak of in the game's coding. I've no idea just what a Toad Suit could possibly do, but I'd imagine the end result of this little project would be interesting...

Adding on to the subject of the Toad Suit....I recently e-mailed Nintendo's Customer Support division regarding the intended purpose of the mysterious suit. Heres what I got:

Hello,

I'm afraid there isn't an answer to your question about a Toad Suit in Super Mario Bros 3. We do not have any idea what capabilities may have been considered for an item that was not included as a usable item in the final version of the game.

Nintendo excels at making sure our fans can get back story information, character descriptions, and--most importantly--the information they require to complete the games that we publish. This can happen through our website (www.nintendo.com), Player's Guides, and Nintendo Power magazine.

Having said that, many details about our games will remain mysteries, left to the active imagination of the player.

Sincerely,

Bruce Mann
Nintendo of America Inc.

It appears only Shigeru Miyamoto himself has the answer to this mystery, though I get the feeling he would just tell us that there were no planned abilities for the Toad Suit. I think he would say that just to get us thinking about Nintendo which we already do here to begin with. =oP
The human world is but a fragile bubble in an infinitely vast and indifferent universe, isolated by great gulfs of both time and space. Though we consider ourselves masters of all creation, as a species our limited perceptions allow us to see only a fraction of the full range of reality.

Last edited by ~Krystal~; 12-05-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
Mario
Just Chillaxin
Points: 50,718, Level: 100 Points: 50,718, Level: 100 Points: 50,718, Level: 100
User owns 1x Blue Shell User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Links Shield User owns 1x Gold Coin
User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Red Pikmin

My Mood: Gaming
Mario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF's 4th Annual Award Monster Poster NFF Old Man Award NFF 3rd Annual Award Royalty Level 100 Award Mufasa NFF 1st Annual Award 
Total Awards: 9

3DS Friend Code: 4450-2343-3333 WiiU ID: test123
Dang...I never seen this thread. These would be perfect for the shop! When I get back from vacation these will be used. Good job

Started from the bottom, now we're here.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:03 AM   #7
MBmoney
Points: 55, Level: 1 Points: 55, Level: 1 Points: 55, Level: 1

MBmoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to MBmoney
Hammer Bro. Suit without a doubt. Not only is it the coolest looking but its one of the best (and it kills ghosts )
Old 12-21-2008, 05:44 PM   #8
~Krystal~
Spiked Punch

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBmoney View Post
Hammer Bro. Suit without a doubt. Not only is it the coolest looking but its one of the best (and it kills ghosts )
I agree. I was so tempted to pick it, but I just couldn't bring myself to take it over Starman.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:18 PM   #9
Skullz
Points: 8,587, Level: 62 Points: 8,587, Level: 62 Points: 8,587, Level: 62
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet

Skullz has a spectacular aura aboutSkullz has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Poster 

Tanooki Suit. I love the ability to transform and the flying bonus is excellent.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:07 PM   #10
Xavi
Star Gazer
Points: 830, Level: 15 Points: 830, Level: 15 Points: 830, Level: 15

Xavi is an unknown quantity at this point

Awards Showcase
NFF 1st Annual Award 

Send a message via AIM to Xavi Send a message via MSN to Xavi
Fire flower.or tanooki...picked fire flower.

I've always loved that basic flower.its much more challenging to actually go through the level without a big clutch.

Believe it or not,I LOVE dodging the angry sun.

It humiliates him.

>:3

@krystal

Toad suit...that's the first I hear of it...nice find.

^^

You also forgot the flute