Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo DS Reviews

Notices

Nintendo DS Reviews Section for all Nintendo DS and DSI Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Castlevania:  Order of Ecclesia
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Published by Emo Prinny
12-18-2008
Author review
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
85%85%85%
Controls/Gameplay
85%85%85%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 89%
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

Castlevania Order of Ecclesia is the latest addition to the Castlevania franchise on the Nintendo DS. In this game you play as Shanoa a member of the Order of Ecclesia tasked with destroying Dracula.

Not using traditional weapons in the sense, members of the order attack with various glyphs. Glyphs allow you to use swords, axes, spears, and even magic spells. There's tons of glyphs to be found over the course of the game that each have interesting powers. However some are clearly better than others and toward the end of the game you will only end up using a couple because they are the clearly the best at what they do. Depending on which glyphs you currently have equipped you can do a powerful glyph union attack which is like a super attack that consumes Shanoa's hearts. Different glyph combinations produce different glyph union attacks but again clearly there are some that are far superior than the others.

A new feature in this game compared to other Castlevania games is that you are not just confined to Dracula's castle. There's a bunch of different areas to explore as well as a village where the townspeople require your assistance in various sidequests that you can choose to complete. While a nice new feature, sadly a lot of the quest require you to farm rare drops off of specific monsters which if you aren't using a guide could take a while to find the correct ones. In addition some of the drop rates for the items are low even running a max luck item setup.

The graphics in this game are top notch, especially for a handheld title. A lot of classic Castlevania monsters are back and just as annoying as ever, I'm looking at you Medusa Heads! The different areas are varied and very detailed, it helps to really create a sense of immersion. From the boss fights to the everyday run of the mill monsters all the sprites were very well drawn and detailed. The animation for everything was very fluid and lifelike.

The story for the game is pretty well done, there are some plot twists that personally I did not see coming, which was a nice surprise. Though I will admit just starting out some things were kind of hard to follow because explaining them in detail would spoil some events later on in the story. Also there are multiple ways to end the game prematurely if certain requirements are not met by the time some events in the story take place.

The gameplay for the most part is similar to recent Castlevania titles, one thing I did find however is that this game is pretty rough with the boss fights. Expect to die while trying to learn how to best fight the bosses your first time through the game. Oddly enough some of the later bosses are actually a lot easier than the earlier ones due to having the more abusable glyph combinations towards the end of the game. The controls are very much spot on, not once did I die in the game and felt it was because of a missed command or the game doing something I wasn't expecting it to do. In addition to the regular story mode there is a boss rush mode that is unlocked after clearing the game once. There is the standard new game plus mode as well. Lastly the game comes with a wifi mode where you can buy and sell items to other people and also compete with your friends in an obstacle course type event.

The music and sound for the game is top notch which is expected from a Castlevania game. Each music track fits the area perfectly and helps to further immerse the player in the game world. The little bit of voice acting done in the game was well done as well. Their voices did not make my ears bleed and go straight to the japanese voices like I have done with other games.

In closing Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia is another great game in a historic video game franchise. If you're a fan of the series this is definitely a must buy. Even if you aren't a fan this is still a solid purchase. You don't really need to have an extensive knowledge of the Castlevania storyline to be able to enjoy this game. So what are you waiting for go out and buy it already!
Published by
Master of Saber
Emo Prinny We have a Nintendo Fan in the Making
Send a message via AIM to Emo Prinny Send a message via Yahoo to Emo Prinny
Sponsored Links
By op89x on 12-19-2008, 11:48 AM
So glad you like this game.
By SegaSlayer33 on 12-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Looking at this review, its good to see that the game is better than the likes of Simon's Quest
By Domo Kun on 12-19-2008, 07:22 PM
I wouldn't say the gameplay is much like the others in the series since the combat is completely different but good review nonetheless. IMO the glyph system is a very welcome addition.
By Emo Prinny on 12-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
85%85%85%
Controls/Gameplay
85%85%85%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 89%
By the gameplay being similar I meant that the basic platformer formula from this game was similar to the more recent castlevania titles. If you played one then the same basic ideas apply to this one with a few quirks, mainly being the glyph system.
By Domo Kun on 12-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emo Prinny View Post
By the gameplay being similar I meant that the basic platformer formula from this game was similar to the more recent castlevania titles. If you played one then the same basic ideas apply to this one with a few quirks, mainly being the glyph system.

Oh I see, sorry about the misunderstanding. BTW, I haven't tried Dawn Of Sorrow, would you say its worth getting?
By op89x on 12-20-2008, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo Kun View Post
Oh I see, sorry about the misunderstanding. BTW, I haven't tried Dawn Of Sorrow, would you say its worth getting?
Yes, I'd say it's worth getting, especially at the price it's at now. But let's try to keep this review on topic, please. You could always start a new thread about a game you have questions about, and link to this one.

But yes, worth getting. Soma Cruz is a surprisingly likeable character, and if you're a Castlevania fan, you simply need this game.
Comment