Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo Wii Reviews

Notices

Nintendo Wii Reviews Section for all Nintendo Wii Game Reviews and Wiiware Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Mario Party 8
Mario Party 8
It will burn your eyes!!!!!!
Published by SegaSlayer33
12-19-2008
Author review
Graphics
45%45%45%
Storyline
50%50%50%
Controls/Gameplay
40%40%40%
Sound
65%65%65%
Average 50%
ouch Mario Party 8

Mario Party 8: Nintendo's worst party EVER!

Trust me, this may look fun, BUT ITS NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mario Party 8 for the Wii. When I first bought my Wii, there was an offer that you could also buy Mario Party 8 for next to free. After playing this game, I know why they pretty much gave this game away.

Mario Party 8 is the first Mario Party game to hit the Wii. It employs the Wii's capabilities with the Mario Party franchise, and on paper, it looks quite good. Use the Wii remote to play a variety of minigames, all the while using a selection of Mario characters as you board avatar. But its all bad from there....

First off, like a board game, Mario Party 8 is torture to play in 1-player. The minigames are too easy, there's no competition that every board game needs. Chance takes far too big a role in Mario Party, and the minigames, although simple enough for the novice to pick up on, have no lastability whatsoever. Play them once and you will never want to play them again.

The level of chance needs to take a specific talking to. In one turn you can go from comfortably winning the game to dead last. You can lose all of your coins, and even one of your stars if you aren't careful (or, in the case of this game, incredibly lucky)

I survived.......This time..........

Graphics: 4.5

The graphics are hugely disappointing. They look near-exact replicas of the GameCube Mario Party games, and kinda looks worse in some aspects. The game has no widescreen, and the borders are just a waste of space in my opinion. Look at Metroid Prime 3 or Twilight Princess, then look at this. Massive disappointment.

Storyline: 5.0

You are at the Star Carnival. Go have some fun. Then End. Of course you have hardly any fun, but thats the story in a nutshell. Mario hardly ever have a good storyline, so I don't expect much. But they are usually great games, which is why this really disappoints.

Controls/Gameplay: 4.0

They really screwed up here. There is no 8-player, and there are less minigames than in MP7. The controls, which could of been really good, feel like a last minute job that was going on the GCN, but were put on the Wii instead.

The games lose their fun factor, the funnest bit in this game ends up being rolling the dice! This is a horrible game, and if anyone above the age of 10 says they love it, I will never think them sane again.

Sound: 5.0
Really repetitive character voices, same old music, but at least it's a par above the rest of this game. Still average by GCN standards though

Overall: 5.0
A huge disappointment. MP have been the only minigame franchise for a while, but with other games heading that way, they need to make their minigames better. Much better. Make heavy use of the Wii's features or MP is going straight into the bin for alot of people.

For reading this thread!
Any suggestion on how to make my reviews better? Post away!
Published by
Finishing the Fight
SegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enoughSegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enough
Sponsored Links
By Xavi on 12-24-2008, 06:28 PM
i was very dissapointed with MP8 too, me being a marioparty fan as well.

i hope they decide to go back on MP 1-3's system instead of the recent games.
By op89x on 12-24-2008, 08:48 PM
I love this game. Go ahead, call me insane. However, I think it's a perfectly accessible game for people of all skill levels. The random chance factor ensures that no matter how good you are, it's going to be close, so you better bring your best to the board. No time for slacking off.

This is, after all, a party game. Seems like you're taking it a tad too seriously.
By Furi Kuri on 12-24-2008, 11:54 PM
Mario Party 8 is the worst Mario Party game ever. I have all the Mario Parties from 1-8 so in my opinion... It stinks =(

P.S. I think Mario Party 5 is the best with, with Dream Lands and Minigames. Yeah!
By AlloftheAbove on 01-04-2009, 04:32 PM
I think you are looking at this game from the wrong perspective.
Kids love this game. The main reason that most of you like the older versions is because you were YOUNGER back then.
I'd have to say that this is a particularly fun game. But mostly for kids and the occasional adult. ^_^

"There is no 8-player." Would you bring 7 of your friends over to play this game? Also, the Wii remotes only go up to 4, so unless you plan on complaining about the lack of an 8-player mode for every Wii game, please stop whining.

Personally, I don't like this review of yours. I don't mind the fact that it's a completely negative and bias review. I mind the fact that you made the review by screaming and acting like a child.
Last edited by AlloftheAbove; 01-07-2009 at 08:20 PM..
By SegaSlayer33 on 01-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
45%45%45%
Storyline
50%50%50%
Controls/Gameplay
40%40%40%
Sound
65%65%65%
Average 50%
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alloftheabove View Post
I think all of you are looking at this game from the wrong perspective.
Kids love this game. The main reason that most of you like the older versions is because you were YOUNGER back then.
I'd have to say that this is a particularly fun game. But mostly for kids and the occasional adult. ^_^

"There is no 8-player." Would you bring 7 of your friends over to play this game? Also, the Wii remotes only go up to 4, so unless you plan on complaining about the lack of an 8-player mode for every Wii game, stop whining.

Personally, I don't like this review of yours. I don't mind the fact that it's a completely negative and bias review. I mind the fact that you made the review by screaming and acting like a child.
I have 3 things to say.

First off, I know a collection of people from an age group lower than mine who heavily dislike this game. Mario party 7, a game on a predecessor console, had an 8-player feature. This is why the return to 4 player maximum has been noted, and seen as a negative point of the game.

Second of all, Mario Party 8 is a game that, considering it is a generation ahead of the prior MP games, should be better than it's predecessor. I would rather play MP7 because, it is, in the opinion of me and a majority of my friends, of lower, same, and higher age level than myself, a game that ismore fun and better for an actual party. I specifically purchased a GameCube and a variety of games to see whether the games were better or worse than their Wii and DS companions.

Third, did you actually think it was necessary to post what you did? i don't know if it was because you are angry that I have done a review that is opposite to your opinions on this game, or you are trying to make a reputation, or for whatever reason you did. As you can see by the way that I have written this reply in a mature way, to show you that I am, in fact, mature.

P.S: I assume the colors are an ancient symbol of I'm just joking, but why take a chance?
Last edited by SegaSlayer33; 01-06-2009 at 03:01 AM..
By AlloftheAbove on 01-06-2009, 12:49 AM
What I am trying to say is that there is a better way to get your oppinion out rather than screaming things like "THEY SHOULD OF PAYED US TO BUY THIS GAME BECAUSE IT'S A PILE OF !!!!".
Now, is it me or does that not sound like the most mature thing to say?
I'm not saying that this is a good game, I'm not saying that this is a bad game. I am merely commenting on your review.

And yes, I do think it was necessary to post what I did. I commented on your review. I don't think I've broken any rules there.

You're starting to sound like you're picking a fight with me. You're insulting the fact that I use font colours to separate my paragraphs. It is completely irrelevant.

Also, *high-fives op89x.*
I am ending the conversation here, as it is getting out of hand.
Last edited by AlloftheAbove; 01-07-2009 at 08:21 PM..
By SegaSlayer33 on 01-06-2009, 03:07 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
45%45%45%
Storyline
50%50%50%
Controls/Gameplay
40%40%40%
Sound
65%65%65%
Average 50%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alloftheabove View Post
And yes, I do think it was necessary to post what I did.
So it is necessary to just go around and go tell people everything that is bad with them? Is that necessary?

People have eyes. People can read. They can see that. They don't need a pessimist to point it out.

And I don't plan to pick a fight. I just think that you should know why I think you comment is unnecessary.

Aww please, you have colors so people notice your writing better. It's a technique that is used in the reviews section.

Face it, I answered all your points of argument to why the thread was bad in my reply. There is no need for further argument.

I hope you just read this and walk away, because you seem mature enough. And I'm not prepared for a flame war.
Last edited by SegaSlayer33; 01-06-2009 at 03:14 AM..
By Siberianhusky89 on 01-07-2009, 01:15 PM
I agree with this review in a sense. I believe the game did suck pretty badly however, you seem quite angry about this, try to keep your cool, however I can understand disappointment as well though. Also, I disagree with some of the comments such as "This is a kid's game." Why do I disagree with this? I still play Super Mario Galaxy and it's considered a "kid's game" and I'd have a hell load of fun playing Mario Party 1, 2, and 3 most likely because they were fun and they were "kid's games", however, I disagree with that term completely because I wouldn't judge games like this (Games that were meant to be good, unlike Mario Is Missing) as kids games just because they don't meet the standards of games such as Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy 7, ect... Anyhow, the best part of the game when I did play it with my family was the board part of the game, so yeah, he's kinda right, the most fun in the game was rolling the dice.
By SuperSmashBros256 on 07-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
70%70%70%
Storyline
50%50%50%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
70%70%70%
Average 68%
I like this game but it could never compete with MP 6 & 7
Last edited by SuperSmashBros256; 07-22-2009 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: Changed my mind
Comment