Nintendo Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > General Nintendo Section

Notices

General Nintendo Section All general Nintendo content here.

View Poll Results: What do you think of the ratings at the review forum?
Games are overrated 0 0%
Games are underrated 0 0%
Some are, some aren't 6 85.71%
Things are perfect as they are 1 14.29%
I don't really care, stuff you 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 09:33 PM   #1
SegaSlayer33
Finishing the Fight
Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92
User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x SNES Controller

My Mood: Thinking
SegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enoughSegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster Game Reviewer 
Total Awards: 3

PSN ID: Get your own Xbox Live Gamertag: Get your own
Question The Perfect 10

Go to the member games reviews and look through them. Go on, I dare you. See those "perfect" games with "perfect" 10s in a category. Now think to yourself, does that game have "perfection" in that category? Are there better games with worse scores in that category that everyone knows to be true?
Take a look, and then think to yourself, what makes the 10/10 grade.

Of course, getting the Perfect 10 can be taken into perspective by different people. Does that mean that the sound is perfect, or better compared to other titles, and are these titles in the same generation? Are we more generous to "classics", or handheld titles, than those who aren't as popular as these classics, or those who are of a more recent gaming generation? I personally believe people are.

Think of it like this. The IGN list of best games of all time states that Super Mario Bros is the best game of all time, and although it is a great game, Super Mario Bros 3 is superior in almost every category of play. Yet, it is ranked in the 30's.

The Perfect 10 might also be given to games that, at the time had great music, but in the modern environment, the quality of music is rendered quite redundant to that of, for example Halo 3. I frequently see games from the SNES score higher than those from the Wii, yet if you played both, you would almost certainly choose the Wii variant

However, that then rises the question: Does that make all older games have terrible music compared to the newest thing, and does that mean that every year you must lower its ranking further and further down the ladder? I don't think so. The way people rate games, in my opinion, should be rated against the standard of the generation. Handheld games should be rated in with stationary consoles. But, hey, thats just the way this old SegaSlayer does things himself.

All in all, the reviewer has the ultimate sway in the rankings of the game. You should be grateful, that these people take off time to write these reviews. Most of the time, however, they just love doing it. As do I. And in the end, it's the view of the reviewer (biased or not) that makes the review ratings. But then, why am I making this thread? Because I want to bring attention to what happens at the review sub-forum

So, the next time you are on, look at the reviews. Compliment and give constructive feedback to these people and help them build on what they already know to greater things. It's this kind of the that will give the NFF the community I, like the rest of you, know we can establish.

The Perfect 10, fact or opinion, is what games aim for. It's what we aim for at the NFF review sub-forum, that being doing great reviews and being honest and detailed. If you have some knowledge you want to pass on about a particular game, do a game review. It only helps the community develop!

Last edited by SegaSlayer33; 12-19-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
Skreamo
The Anthrax Envelope
Points: 9,691, Level: 66 Points: 9,691, Level: 66 Points: 9,691, Level: 66
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Poke Ball User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Links Shield
User owns 1x Yoshi Egg User owns 1x Super Leaf User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Bullet Bill

My Mood: Spaced
Skreamo has a spectacular aura aboutSkreamo has a spectacular aura about

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Royalty Monster Poster NFF 1st Annual Award Poster 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via MSN to Skreamo Xbox Live Gamertag: AfterHatred
Its based on opinion. Maybe you won't like it much, but others will, so some are, and some aren't.

Thanks you for mah Rhydon Tag, Mr.DLX<3
Old 12-20-2008, 12:05 AM   #3
op89x
Not on the review team
Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Water Element

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Yeah. A review is essentially someone's opinion. In fact, that's exactly what it is. And since everyone has a different definition of perfection, some people will think games are overrated, some underrated.

I think of video games as art (because they are, and if you don't think so, you're a terrorist) and you simply can't hold art up to a universal standard of measurement.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
Xavi
Star Gazer
Points: 830, Level: 15 Points: 830, Level: 15 Points: 830, Level: 15

Xavi is an unknown quantity at this point

Awards Showcase
NFF 1st Annual Award 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via AIM to Xavi Send a message via MSN to Xavi
Quote:
Originally Posted by op89x View Post
I think of video games as art (because they are, and if you don't think so, you're a terrorist) and you simply can't hold art up to a universal standard of measurement.
i admire that view,i think the same way.

in all honesty, i think we should have a letter grade system...Numbers are exact,letters are not.

A its very good!you'll overlook flaws

B its ok,flaws are evident though.

C not very good,this game has an unbalanced amount of flaws.

a more simplistic approach would work much better.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #5
AlloftheAbove
Numbah Wan
Points: 21,912, Level: 92 Points: 21,912, Level: 92 Points: 21,912, Level: 92
User owns 1x Purple Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Yellow Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Red Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Light Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Grey Chaos Emerald

My Mood: Gaming
AlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award NFF Referrer Review of the Month Review of the Month Review of the Month News Reporter 
Total Awards: 36

3DS Friend Code: 4382-1995-8800 Xbox Live Gamertag: RaptorWaffles WiiU ID: AlloftheAbove
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavi View Post
i admire that view,i think the same way.

in all honesty, i think we should have a letter grade system...Numbers are exact,letters are not.

A its very good!you'll overlook flaws

B its ok,flaws are evident though.

C not very good,this game has an unbalanced amount of flaws.

a more simplistic approach would work much better.
That's a very good idea. Letters sum up a group of grades, while numbers are pin-pointed and exact. Maybe the normal A-F grades might be a little better, though.
NUMBERS
Old 01-08-2009, 01:20 AM   #6
lostleader
無くなったりだ
Points: 3,552, Level: 37 Points: 3,552, Level: 37 Points: 3,552, Level: 37
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet

My Mood: Spaced
lostleader is a jewel in the roughlostleader is a jewel in the roughlostleader is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Royalty Princess Award 

PSN ID: LOSTLEAD8R Xbox Live Gamertag: lostleader8
10/10 tis fun

Well yes Reviews are basically to its core a opinion...but a opinion of a product. thats the basic rule of a review, to sell. anything that does otherwise, isnt a review.

for the most part i don't agree with a lot of scale usages, letter grade, or a 5 scale works best. Thier are only 6 types of games to began with, not a game, horrible game, bad game, average game, good game, great game.

notice no "perfect" perfect for the most part of any part of life can not be achieved, but then we are getting into metaphysics and what not >.> (or was it something else?)

anyway

a perfect game is pretty much one that you enjoyed, that's what it should be, nothing more or less really, good games get close to it, while great games achieve it.

but again its all opinion on the game, and that's just hard to sum into one thing.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #7
op89x
Not on the review team
Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Water Element

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostleader View Post
Well yes Reviews are basically to its core a opinion...but a opinion of a product. thats the basic rule of a review, to sell. anything that does otherwise, isnt a review.
The idea of reviews is not to "sell" a game to anyone. You're thinking of advertisements.

Closed Thread