Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Nintendo Retro Consoles > Super Nintendo

Notices

Super Nintendo Super Nintendo section post here!

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
Siberianhusky89
Points: 2,740, Level: 31 Points: 2,740, Level: 31 Points: 2,740, Level: 31
User owns 1x Nintendo DS

Siberianhusky89 We have a Nintendo Fan in the Making

Super Mario RPG

I'll be dedicating this post to my friend Josh whom passed away. Josh was not one who was very fond of RPGs, but this was his biggest exceptions and he loved this game very much. May you live on in spirit Josh.

Moving on, Super Mario RPG is one of the most fun turn based RPGs I've played. I'm going to start off with the graphics of the game though before anything.

Super Mario RPG uses 3-dimensional sprites and if I'm not mistaken, a 3-dimensional backround as well. Anyhow, the graphics are amazing for a SNES game. Alot of detail was put into it and the visuals are quite clear which gives you a great comprehension of what's going on. Moving on, I'll be discussing the music.

The music in Super Mario RPG is great, though I still don't quite understand people's taste... I mean, I hear that Forest Maze song and still comprehend what people think is so amazing about, then I remember, Geno. Anyhow, the music fits it's environment well and even some classics are mixed into the songs, along with new songs that are outstanding such as Midas River or the Sad Song. The game really put time into their music, and there's even a little tribute Squaresoft put into the game if you find a certain secret. The game even allows you to make some compositions if you do another secret as well. Moving on, let's talk about the gameplay, yaaaay.

The gameplay is pretty neat and interesting for just a turn based RPG. There are three modes of play. Map mode, In World mode, and Battle mode... Map mode is pretty much you being on a map and choosing your general destination, sometimes with secret paths, kind of like Super Mario World where you choose a level. The In Game play (Walking around towns, caves, ect...) is nice. You see the enemies, and if you touch them, go into battle with them. You can walk into shops, talk to certain people to progress the storyline, play many minigames, watch a lot of funny or fun sequences, ect... The In Battle gameplay is very fun as well, like a turn based RPG, you choose between using basic attacks, magic based attacks or the like, using items, or defending/running away. They add the cool feature of timed hits in which while you're attacking you can press the button that caused the attack, and if timed right, do double damage or continue to do damage, ect... Some magics involve holding the Y button, pressing it repeatedly, rotating the D-Pad, ect...

Storyline: The storyline drifts off a little from any normal Mario story. Normally Mario has to face Bowser, save Princess Peach, ect... Well, that's how the story starts off... At least until a huge sword rips through the sky and hits Bowser's castle. Anyhow, everyone is seperated and Mario sets off onto a journey to find Peach again. Little does he know, the sword is more trouble than it's worth.

Characters: The characters are cool, Mario is... Well, who the Heck doesn't know who he is? But he plays the "silent-type hero" while still informing what he has to say with charades. Mallow comes into a picture who is suppose to be a "tadpole" with no courage or whatever but tries to find his courage. Geno, the overrated guy who is kind, has a really weird name, and came from the stars. Bowser is in the game and for the first time, playable, he's exactly how you'd think he is, arrogant, craves leadership or power, ect... Peach is in the game as well, with her usual attitude, and the game did well because she can't really fight, but she's really great at healing and it's practically vital to have her in your party, she has her caring sense about her, however, she can be a bit feisty sometimes.

Anyhow, my favorite part of games... The mini-games, easter eggs, secrets, ect... The minigames are amazing and I believe never get old. Yoshi's Racing games, the music composition, Midas Falls, the secret characters, the cameos of characters, the silly little secrets in between, the cool items you can get for doing certain stuff, all of it is incredible and I love it. Anyhow, the game is kind of short, but the replayability makes up for it sooooooooo much. In other words, great game, chances are, you've heard of it, but still.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
op89x
Not on the review team
Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Water Element

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 
Total Awards: 2

My favorite game of all time. If anyone's interested, I wrote a review in the Review Section.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
Skullz
Points: 8,587, Level: 62 Points: 8,587, Level: 62 Points: 8,587, Level: 62
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet

Skullz has a spectacular aura aboutSkullz has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

One of my favorite RPGs.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
Squall
SeeD Student
Points: 66, Level: 1 Points: 66, Level: 1 Points: 66, Level: 1

My Mood: Mellow
Squall is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear about your friend. SMRPG is one of my all-time favorites.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
RollinMar
Banned

RollinMar is an unknown quantity at this point

good game
Old 03-21-2009, 02:59 AM   #6
Jonjosuff ᴥ
Cheers, Jesus.
Points: 826, Level: 15 Points: 826, Level: 15 Points: 826, Level: 15

Jonjosuff ᴥ is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Jonjosuff ᴥ Send a message via Skype™ to Jonjosuff ᴥ Xbox Live Gamertag: KwehKwehKweh
I never really got into it unfortunatly, I always got to the very first boss fight with Bowser and then gave up shortly after. :/

I played the N64 Mario RPG and enjoyed it more, but then had to give it back. D:

Old 03-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #7
Skullz
Points: 8,587, Level: 62 Points: 8,587, Level: 62 Points: 8,587, Level: 62
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet

Skullz has a spectacular aura aboutSkullz has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Enjoyed it more? How would you enjoy SMRPG if you haven't even put forth the effort to progress in the game?
Old 03-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
Saru786
Enter Sandman
Points: 7,638, Level: 58 Points: 7,638, Level: 58 Points: 7,638, Level: 58

Saru786 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Send a message via MSN to Saru786 Send a message via Yahoo to Saru786
This game was one the best RPG games I've played, and will keep on it.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:14 PM   #9
Jonjosuff ᴥ
Cheers, Jesus.
Points: 826, Level: 15 Points: 826, Level: 15 Points: 826, Level: 15

Jonjosuff ᴥ is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Jonjosuff ᴥ Send a message via Skype™ to Jonjosuff ᴥ Xbox Live Gamertag: KwehKwehKweh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull Kid View Post
Enjoyed it more? How would you enjoy SMRPG if you haven't even put forth the effort to progress in the game?
Don't take offence by it, I just usually play games that entice me within the first 30 minutes or so, I don't like games I have to put effort into to like.

Also, I was playing it on rom, which for some reason lowers the value of it. :/

Old 03-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #10
maxfreak
Points: 403, Level: 8 Points: 403, Level: 8 Points: 403, Level: 8

maxfreak is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via MSN to maxfreak Send a message via Yahoo to maxfreak Send a message via Skype™ to maxfreak
I love this game, one of the the SNES's best treasures, if only there was a true sequal or a remake...
One thing I really liked was how dynamic the story was. It went from Bowser taking Peach, to then getting his catle taken over, and etc etc. Very interesting.
Closed Thread