Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo Wii Reviews

Notices

Nintendo Wii Reviews Section for all Nintendo Wii Game Reviews and Wiiware Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Animal Crossing: City Folk Review
A disappointment
Published by SeanMi
01-01-2009
Author review
Graphics
70%70%70%
Storyline
70%70%70%
Controls/Gameplay
75%75%75%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 75%

Being a big fan of the Animal Cossing series, i was very excited and couldn't wait until i got my hand on it.

I had a tough decision...either buy a PS3 and 1 game, or buy Animal Crossing City Folk, and not be broke. I chose the PS3 and boy did i make the right decision. I would lose my mind playing ACCF till christmas.
I'm not trying to bash the AC series, but ACCF just doesn't come close to what it should be, and is worse them previous games.

Now this review is done WITHOUT trying online, so i may update later to say if its good or not. I only used ACCF to send pics to message boards.

The biggest downfall of the game is the animals themselfs. There are still many returning favorites, and the writing is still funny, but...
THE ANIMALS SAY THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN

In past games, the animals would switch up the dialogue and would only repeat themself around the 6th or 7th time you talked to them. But in ACCF i talk to them once, and then the second time, they say the same thing, and again, again, again, etc. You have to walk away and 10 mins later, the process would repeat itself.
I though maybe they just did this on the holidays, but they do it all the time, and i've been playing since christmas eve day. It used to be fun talking to the animals and hear what they have to say, but now, its ultra boring.

ACCF is pretty much like Wild World (the DS version) I thought it would be the best of both the GC and DS version but i was wrong.

ACCF also has the city, but not much to say about it. You can go to a show and learn a new emotion (at a hefty price), go to gracies shop and buy clothing and furniture (at a hefty price), go to the hairdresser and either change your haircut (at a hefty price) or change to a mii mask for free (which looks very dumb).

Graphics:
Nothing new here, which there shouldn't be. Animal Crossing graphics can't change much or it wouldn't be...Animal Crossing. The wii version does polish up the graphics, but still, its kinda rough around the edges. There isn't much in ACCF, so i would think they should be more smooth.

Storyline:
There isnt a storyline in Animal Crossing. Theres a beginning but no middle or end. The game starts out like the other Animal Crossing games. You get asked question like your name, town name, and 3 other questions that determine what you look like and what starting clothing you have. You then choose 1 house (theres 4 avalible) and Tom Nook will talk to you. I find it dumb that theres empty houses around, but there for other human characters to move in. Tom Nook then tells you the price the house is ($19,800 - like past AC games) and makes you work part time to help pay it off (doing the same things like past AC games)
After that, your free to do whatever you want.

Controls/Gameplay
The contols are okay, and there are very limited motion controls for fishing and bug catching. You can play with or without the nunchuk.

Sound:
The sound is nice. Mostly the same tunes as in previous Animal Crossing games. K.K Slider plays saturday.

Overall, Animal Crossing City Folk is a big disapointment to me. If they just switched up what the animals say, i would be happier with the game.
I'm not sure it was worth the money. It costs $50 for the game or $70 with the bundle (game and wiispeak)
Maybe the online can save it, but theres not much more you can do then just...talk...and...fish...
The game is rated E for Everyone.
Published by
SeanMi has a spectacular aura aboutSeanMi has a spectacular aura about
Sponsored Links
By AlloftheAbove on 01-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Hmm...
I think this review was kinda bias.
What makes it not the best? What do the previous games have that this one doesn't?
Plus, what's wrong with having houses for sale? That sounds like a better feature than having 4 people living in the same house, don't you think?
By SeanMi on 01-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
70%70%70%
Storyline
70%70%70%
Controls/Gameplay
75%75%75%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 75%
bias, i guess because i'm a fan of the Animal Crossing series who is disapointed in city folk? I dont understand what you mean by bias. Everyone has there own opinion.

One thing ACCF doesnt have is the change up in dialouge. And maybe i was expecting more from the game because its the third US game of the series.

I agree with you that 4 in one house is dumb. But so is a vacant house. No one else in my family will play the game, so i have 3 empty houses in my town, which looks kinda dumb. Its not like i can buy two houses
What they should have done is let you pick were you want your house. Not pre-determined locations. And if another human joined, they can put where there house goes. That makes alot more sense.
By op89x on 01-02-2009, 11:34 AM
There is bias in every review. That's the nature of reviews; they are based on an individual's opinion.

Hopefully, though, we'll see an updated version of this review after online is given a shot.
By Spirit on 01-02-2009, 11:43 AM
I am unsure I want to buy this game now. Thanks for the heads up.
By Mario on 01-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Good review sean..... I won't be spending my money on this game.
By SeanMi on 01-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
70%70%70%
Storyline
70%70%70%
Controls/Gameplay
75%75%75%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 75%
If your a die hard fan, the game still might be worth it. Also, if you never tried an Animal crossing game it may be worth it since its almost the same as past games.
But overall, i play for about 10 mins a day to see what is in the stores, and to see if any visiters came.

Maybe the best bet is renting the game first. If you enjoy it, then buy.

Of the other reviews i've seen, ACCF has been given lower rateings that i have. I've only seen a few higher scores then mine.
Last edited by SeanMi; 01-02-2009 at 03:45 PM..
By Tencade Kazarian on 01-11-2009, 04:07 PM
GREAT Review. You took words right from my mouth. Good Game but feels to Much like WW
Comment