Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Other Reviews

Notices

Other Reviews Playstation, Xbox, PC, or any other console game Review. Also console reviews too

Comment

Review Tools
Fallout 3 Review
Fallout 3 Review
Post-Apocalyptic Adventure
Published by SeanMi
01-02-2009
Author review
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
85%85%85%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 91%
Fallout 3 Review

Fallout 3 is based in Post-Apocalyptic Washington D.C. in the year 2277, around 200 years after a nuclear war. Its crazy to see the capitol building with a huge hole in the roof. And the damaged Washington Monument. Not to mention the Lincoln Memorial with the statue haveing no head.

In Fallout 3, you have the choice to be good, bad or neutral. Actions you take throughout the game affect your karma. An example is helping slavers collect slaves, that earns you negitive (bad) karma. There are many different things you can do in Fallout 3. You can whipe out an entire villiage of its citizens or kill super mutants in a ruined building in Downtown D.C..

Karma affects which "followers" can join up with you and help you out during the game. Good Karma can have a Brotherhood of steel member help you out. And bad karma can have an ex-raider help you out. And some followers are only going to help if your have neutral karma. Some do not have any requirement. Few followers require Caps (the currency in Fallout 3) in order for them to follow you. Some cost 1,000 caps but once you pay them, they will follow you and will not have to be paid again.

You can give followers weopons and armor of your own, but all followers have default weopons and armor. Followers have both a melee and ranged weopon. Some have stronger melee weopons and others have stronger ranged weopons. (ex. one guy has a shotgun and only a knife, while another has only a lazer pistol but has a super sledge hammer).
The default range weopon they have has unlimited ammo. The weopons you give them require ammo for them to keep using them. And the condition of the weopon wares out quick and cannot be used afterwards. A nice feature is that after every combat you have with enemies, your followers heal themselfs. You can have 2 followers at a time. A dog named dog meat and another follower. Though if the dog dies, then that opens a spot for another follower. There is a total of i believe 8 followers in the game. I heard that you can have all followers follow you at the same time. im not sure this can work (because both the 2 follower rule and karma) but sopposly theres youtube vids on it.

The AI of the game is very good. The accracy of both followers and enemies is great and most of the time they hit the target. They even take cover behind objects. You can put the game difficulty on very easy all the way to very hard, so the game has a gameing level for all. There are many different types of enemies in the game. Super Mutants and Raiders are the most common. But theres also talon mercenaries, robots, animals and reptiles, the Enclave. feral ghouls, regulators (if your evil) and some others. These enemies will fight each other if they are in the same area, so its sometimes best to let them fight it out.

Graphics:
The graphics are great. There is so much content in the game and the gameing area is so large. Yet the graphics still are good. I also do not have an HD TV, so they should be even better then i see. Still the graphcs can be just a tad shakey.

Storyline:
You are born in Vault 101. The game progesses from when your a baby and skips to other ages duing your time in the vault. Eventally you leave at the age of 19 to search for your father, who for some reason left the vault.
The main storyline is somewhat short. But the game has so many differnt quests you can do, you will easily have over 50 hours of gameplay. Doing things like side quests and just searching the wastes. Alot of people do not like the ending, but i didnt mind it.
Its just amazing to see how much stuff there is in the game that doesnt deal with the main quest. Like a town full of cannibles, a school with raiders and giant ants, and a buliding full of ghouls. Its fun just searching these areas.

Controls/Gameplay
The controls in Fallout 3 are very good. The FPS contols are like other FPS games. You can also play in 3rd person. But a very cool feature in Fallout 3 is VATS. In VATS, you are able to pause the game and locate an enemy. Then you can choose which body part (head, left leg, etc) and the chance to hit it. The game does a perfect job balaneing out both the FPS and VATS elements. Or you can play without VATS if you want.

above:an example of the VATS system, and a super mutant

Sound:
The sound is great! From the gun noises to hearing a feral ghoul noticeing you. There is also some very creepy music when exploreing some areas. There is also radio stations, but only a few. Galaxy news radio has news from the wastes and also plays some retro music. The Enclave (the last remaining remnants of the US government) station has the 'president' speaking on it most of the time.

Fallout 3 is one of the best games i've ever played. There is so much you can do in the game. You'll most likely never find everthing the game has in it.

Fallout 3 costs $60 for Xbox 360 and PS3 and $50 for PC. The game is rated M for Mature and rightly so. There is very strong languege, blood and gore, violence of all kinds, drug use, and many others.

If you can handle the gore, the game is for sure worth the money on all systems. Also there is going to be DLC for the Xbox 360 and PC. So far nothing is in line for the PS3 (which i have it for )

hers a youtube vid that shows everything i just talked about.
Published by
SeanMi has a spectacular aura aboutSeanMi has a spectacular aura about
Sponsored Links
By op89x on 01-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Very nice review.
By Mario on 01-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Nice Review... This game is a MUST HAVE. I have it for the PC and its very addicting.
By da Beef on 02-02-2009, 12:18 AM
i really enjoyed this game but felt it had some extremely poor points. the whole RPG side of it is pretty shallow, and though the open world is a lot of fun and can be very very immersive, its many bugs and limitations can painfully bring you out of the experience. and my god the ending. just.... horrible. a horrible, terrible, awful way to end an otherwise great game.

its more like an 8/10 for me, but i totally agree that it was one of the best of 2008.
By SeanMi on 02-02-2009, 01:19 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
85%85%85%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 91%
Quote:
Originally Posted by da Beef View Post
i really enjoyed this game but felt it had some extremely poor points. the whole RPG side of it is pretty shallow, and though the open world is a lot of fun and can be very very immersive, its many bugs and limitations can painfully bring you out of the experience. and my god the ending. just.... horrible. a horrible, terrible, awful way to end an otherwise great game.

its more like an 8/10 for me, but i totally agree that it was one of the best of 2008.
Yes, the RPG elements were a bit shallow. It sucks you can only go up to level 20.
I heard there alot of problems for the PS3 version (the one i have) but i have not encountered any. Only once i got stuck in between some rocks, and only experiance minor slowdown when i played the game for many hours at a time.

Yes, the ending is not all that great, but its how it ended so i delt with it.
Though if you have the Xbox360 or PC version, expect some DLC. Some already came out. And sometime this spring (march-april) more DLC will be released which will change the ending and allow you to fight along-side BOS members against the Enclave.
By Lukario on 02-02-2009, 06:42 PM
I have this game for 360, but sadly, I've only made it out of the Vault.

Lukario
By Konata on 02-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
95%95%95%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
90%90%90%
Average 91%
I have this on ps3..it's good..and nice review..
Comment