Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario Bros 3
Being better than your best
Published by SegaSlayer33
01-08-2009
Author review
Graphics
85%85%85%
Storyline
85%85%85%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 91%
Sm Mario Super Mario Bros 3

It's 1989. The crowds are roaring. Somewhere, a boy stands, ready for his destiny

The roar increases, the numbers tick, slowly by. The crowd, now alive with excitement, grows with noise and emotion. The numbers fall to zero.

Suddenly, the gates open. The Armageddon is unleashed. One boy stands inside the gate, under the shadow of the Armageddon. The crowd is silent. Suddenly, the wily man announces those words, the words that live with a generation.

"So, I give you, Super Mario Bros 3!"

The Game

Super Mario Bros 3, the swan song of the NES, was released in 1989. The game was originally mentioned in the 1989 movie The Wizard, a movie that is widely renown as a 90-minute advertisement for Nintendo, including propaganda items such as the Power Glove, Double Dragon and, of course, Super Mario Bros 3.

Super Mario Bros 3 sold 18 million copies and is regarded my many as the best Mario game of all time. The game is also the last Mario game for the NES and is also regarded by some as the best game of the 8-bit era.

In this Mario outing, Mario has to save the 7 countries of the Mushroom kingdom from Bowser's 7 children. where do these children come from? No one knows. But there are theories

The game is also renown for it's extensive range of exclusive power ups, such as Hammer Mario, Raccoon Mario, Frog Mario, Takooni Mario and the infamous Kuriboh Shoe.

Menu

In the menu, you can choose from 2 different game options. In 1 player, you play as Mario and adventure through the Mushroom Kingdom, by jumping, stomping, running and now flying(!) through armies of comical enemies. Save the Mushroom Kingdom from the forces of turtle evil!

In 2 player, both Mario and Luigi work together in the same epic quest. You can exchange power-ups, or be a real annoyance by dying so you have to do the level that allows them to get the power-up.

Gameplay

Seeing any Nintendo fan worth their salt knows about the simple Mario gameplay, I'm going to say what sets SMB3 apart from the norm.

For a start, the levels are shorter than most games. Instead, they have more levels than the original, and these levels have compacted fun in the bucket loads! The levels have witty and clever, and some involve using more than the d-pad to navigate.

The themes for the worlds, although not original, perfect the elements by implementing different enemies and environmental hazards. The secrets are abundant and rewarding, with crypticism and fun in mind.

The map screen, in which you navigate, is filled with pipes, mazes, obstacles and even the ability to cross water. Defeating fortresses unlock doors that block pathways. Mushroom houses give you power-ups, which can be stored for use later. Enter the castle and defeat the kid and save that world!

To show you what I mean, I did and completed the last level of the game, Bowser's Castle. There are 4 routes that can be taken, but only 2 allow you to face Bowser, with one making it easier to defeat him.

Power Ups

There are 6 new power-ups in Super Mario Bros 3. They are:

Raccoon Mario: In this mode, you can fly by getting a running start. This allows you to skip large chunks of a level, and access secret areas of levels. You can also hit enemies with your tail. This mode is activated by the raccoon leaf.

Frog Mario: In this mode, you can swim with much more agility and control. However, your mobility on land is somewhat limited. This mode is activated by the Frog Suit.

Hammer Mario: In this mode, you can throw hammers, which do far more damage than fireballs. They can kill more powerful enemies, like Boos. This mode is activated by the Hammer Suit

Takooni Mario: In this mode, you can do all you can as Raccoon Mario, but you can turn into a Statue, which makes you impervious to enemies and able to jump on Pirana Plants. This mode is activated by the Takooni Suit.

Power Raccoon Mario: In this mode, you are Raccoon Mario, but you can fly without a running start. You turn into Raccoon Mario after you complete a stage. This mode is activated by the P-Wing.

Kuriboh Shoe: In this mode, you can jump on all types of enemies, and also retain any other power-ups you have, hence the Shoe-Fire tank. this mode is activated by the Kuriboh Shoe.

Mario Power-Ups. 21-39 are from Super Mario Bros 3.
Graphics: 8.5
These graphics are some of the best from the 8-bit era. They aren't the best, but hey, those were simpler times. The improvement over the original, however, is astounding, and the show of why the graphics in this game really are great. Remember that red and orange pixel smudge? yeah, this is the same guy. Amazing, I know.

Storyline: 8.5
For a Mario game, the original story is quite sweet (and spawned countless rumors over where those Bowser Jr.'s came from.) But the twist at the end, where Bowser used HIS OWN KIDS to capture Peach is quite groovy. SML before SML was even a concept.

Controls/Gameplay: 13.5
You all know it. Remember, this was 1989. 20 years ago. And this game is 20 years old, yet still the best 2D platform game ever, even with the 7 years to improve before Mario 64 changed everything. Nothing measures up. nothing can. This game owns.

Sound: 9.5

Here is a collection of Super Mario Bros 3 music:

Here is a story about a shop. In that shop, the Super Mario Bros 3 theme is playing. Everyone in the shop wears that silly little grin, because everyone knows what the tune is. That is the power of Super Mario Bros 3.

Overall: 10.0
No surprises at all. This is in my opinion the best game of all time. Not of the NES, not of the Mario series. Of all time, of all consoles. But I haven't played Ocarina yet, so we'll see if this statement holds. But this game is still a game that will be played for a long, long time, because it is what Mario is all about. And that is something.

For reading this thread!

Credits:
Pictures are all accessed via Image Google search
Video is accessed via Youtube.

If you have any ideas to make my threads better, feel free to post!

Published by
Finishing the Fight
SegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enoughSegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enough
Sponsored Links
By Atom Man5 on 01-08-2009, 03:53 PM
This is another great review. I like how he doesn't waste our time telling us how to play a mario game, and says what makes this one great. I can't wait for the next one!
By Mario on 01-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Great Review SegaSlayer your reviews are getting much better!
By SegaSlayer33 on 01-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
85%85%85%
Storyline
85%85%85%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 91%
Any tips on making my reviews better?
By op89x on 01-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SegaSlayer33 View Post
Any tips on making my reviews better?
Read this, if you haven't already:

http://nintendofanforum.com/showthread.php?t=2501
By SegaSlayer33 on 01-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
85%85%85%
Storyline
85%85%85%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 91%
I've already read it, but thanks anyway
By Pandy bear on 01-15-2009, 05:49 AM
I might just download this.
By SegaSlayer33 on 01-15-2009, 03:40 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
85%85%85%
Storyline
85%85%85%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 91%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandy bear View Post
I might just download this.
Trust me, BEST IDEA EVER! the game is awesome
By SegaSlayer33 on 03-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
85%85%85%
Storyline
85%85%85%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 91%
Also, in a recent internet polls, Super Mario Bros 3 was voted the best mario game of all time by IGN, among others
By Saru786 on 03-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Awesome review man! I really agree with you on the gameplay and power-ups section, totally true! But not to be a stick in the mud, but I think SMW is better than this game, but only by a margin.

So, yea, I just submitted my SMW review, don't forget to check it out when it gets posted!
Comment