Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Nintendo Wii

Notices

Nintendo Wii Nintendo Wii section. Post anything Nintendo Wii related here.

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:53 PM   #1
Alaska_Gamer
NOT an Eskimo
Points: 1,727, Level: 24 Points: 1,727, Level: 24 Points: 1,727, Level: 24

Alaska_Gamer is an unknown quantity at this point

PSN ID: Alaska_Gamer
ATTENTION: We May Have A Possible Look At The Future Of Zelda Games

Or Nintendo games in general. I didn't put this in the Zelda forum because that may not be the only series that may use what I'm about to show you.

We have pretty much no official details on what the next Zelda would be, but recently, a patent that has been published by Shigeru Miyamoto, gives the following description.

Computer-readable storage medium having game program stored therein, and game apparatus

Plus, Neogaf had a thread with some people that were deciphering the very confusing verbage within the patent, and you can see it right here.

There are some figures that were with the patent, and with the info the people on gaf have come out with, I'll use it to help you all understand.

Yeah, it's okay to laugh, but they aren't meant to be super detailed photos, just cheap illustrations.

As you can see, it presents three different modes: Game, Digest, and Scene Menu. Game is pretty much what you would think. Just start and play as you normally would.

Other illustrations

You're still wondering, aren't you? "What does this all mean?" Well, I can't be 100% correct on this, but I believe we may have the "gateway game," a game that any gamer based on skill or preference, can play with equal chance.

This post on the gaf thread summed it up pretty well I believe.

Quote:
If you get stuck in a game, you can simply skip ahead or let the computer take control of the game for you in order to get past a certain point which may be deemed as too difficult or time-consuming. The game will have predetermined saved points (digest saved data) that the user can access at any time. Additionally, when you chose one of these predetermined save points, you'll have the option from starting from that location or simply letting watching the scene play out as the computer takes control of the character. You'll also be able to download digest saved data from other players to see how they tackled a particular level or puzzle. The idea is that this will prevent people from giving up on games half-way through and will give them the opportunity to experience the entire game. I think the basic concept behind this is that many people are afraid to try certain games because they find them confusing and are afraid they won't be very good at them. Nobody wants to drop $50 on a game only to get stuck an hour into it. I think the philosophy behind this patent is that people who spend money to buy a game should have the opportunity to experience the entire content of it, regardless of their skill level. This is likely a way for Nintendo to concentrate on core titles without worrying about alienating the casual gamers. It should be noted that players will not be able to save their game if they start from one of the predetermined save points, so there's still incentive to play through the game in the traditional manner. Naturally, those who wish to clear the game on their own accord and avoid the digest saved data altogether will certainly be free to do so.
If any of you believe that this is gonna make the Zelda series dumbed down or too easy, then you are surely wrong. Here's why.

The expanded audience is usually daunted by long, time consuming games. They don't have so much time in the world to spend playing a 50 hour adventure.

And who can blame them? We all grow up, and who here will even have the time to play the next big RPG while their time is all wrapped up in social life, college, a relationship, family, Hell even high school for that matter? We just don't have that much time in our lives to dedicate to one game without sacrificing everything else.

The Digest and Scene select modes demonstrated in this patent are meant as a way for those who either a) can't figure what to do next to progress the game or b) can't get past an area that requires a certain amount of skill. You ever been asked for help on a video game when your friend was having trouble? This is the thing to solve it. Plus, if you wanna go through the game again, but only see the highlights, you could check those out as well and relive the moments you found memorable. Not to mention theres an ingame hint system.

I think we should be glad that something like this has the potential to make a game accessible for everyone without forgetting the core. If this wasn't existent, Zelda's difficulty would keep getting easier, and the expanded audience still wouldn't bother with it. This just might be the "gateway game" we've been waiting for

What do you think of all this? Ambitious? Risky? The next big innovation?
Old 01-08-2009, 11:59 PM   #2
AlloftheAbove
Numbah Wan
Points: 23,681, Level: 94 Points: 23,681, Level: 94 Points: 23,681, Level: 94
User owns 1x Purple Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Yellow Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Red Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Light Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Grey Chaos Emerald

My Mood: Gaming
AlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Review of the Month Review of the Month Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award NFF Referrer Review of the Month Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 38

3DS Friend Code: 4382-1995-8800 Xbox Live Gamertag: RaptorWaffles WiiU ID: AlloftheAbove
I don't quite understand any of that, but from what I can tell, it's different.
I like video games the way they are now.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:13 AM   #3
Alaska_Gamer
NOT an Eskimo

You sure you read it carefully?
Old 01-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
op89x
Not on the review team
Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Water Element

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 
Total Awards: 2

I was hoping they would do something like this. They can keep the games hard while allowing everyone to enjoy them.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
Alaska_Gamer
NOT an Eskimo

That's what everyone else thought as well. Both challenging and accessible at the same time.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
Tencade Kazarian
Disconnect
Points: 7,522, Level: 57 Points: 7,522, Level: 57 Points: 7,522, Level: 57
User owns 1x Nintendo DS

My Mood: Devilish
Tencade Kazarian will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase
Royalty 
Total Awards: 1

Zelda is ment to be HARD.
Easy Zelda games Sucks
Old 01-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,129, Level: 100 Points: 38,129, Level: 100 Points: 38,129, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

I don't understand that..

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Old 01-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
Alaska_Gamer
NOT an Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryn1030 View Post
I don't understand that..
This patent is explaining that you can get hints in the form of a video in game if you are stuck, or you can skip a part for the time being that's either proving tedious or is just to difficult.

Think of it as a mix of Youtube playthroughs and tool assisted speed runs. Core Gamers can still play the game as they want while ignoring this system, but the expanded audience can use this if they have trouble. This is pretty much Miyamoto's way of helping everyone get to the ending of the game.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:51 AM   #9
Ender
Don't mess wif him
Points: 3,031, Level: 33 Points: 3,031, Level: 33 Points: 3,031, Level: 33
User owns 1x Cucoo User owns 1x Tanooki Suit

My Mood: Nerdy
Ender is a jewel in the roughEnder is a jewel in the roughEnder is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF 1st Annual Award NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 2

Xbox Live Gamertag: batmanbirdboy
I just read about this today on Yahoo, that Nintendo bought a patent to put a sort of How-To guide for any game throughout the whole game. Basically it tells you exactly what to do next if you're stuck, and it also lets you skip "chapters" in the game, without having to beat the game beforehand. So you can go fight the last boss in Metroid Prime four without having to get that far yourself.

Personally, I think this is a terrible idea. Defeats the whole purpose of the game, and would make me not want to play it.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:31 PM   #10
Alaska_Gamer
NOT an Eskimo

I'm thinking whoever wrote that story on Yahoo did not understand everything the patent was actually saying.

Click on the link to the Neogaf thread in my first post and read the people's comments there. They dissected it pretty well, and I'm not gonna waste time explaining the same damn thing over again.