Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Nintendo Retro Consoles > Super Nintendo

Notices

Super Nintendo Super Nintendo section post here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 03:51 AM   #1
SegaSlayer33
Finishing the Fight
Points: 21,468, Level: 92
Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92
User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x SNES Controller
 
SegaSlayer33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,232

My Mood: Thinking
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 40
SegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enoughSegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enough


Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster Game Reviewer 
Total Awards: 3

PSN ID: Get your own Xbox Live Gamertag: Get your own
Super Nintendo vs Sega Genesis

SNES. In my opinion, the second best console of all time and the best of the 16 bit era. Know I know seeing this is "the forum where Nintendo fans gather" I'm gonna assume straight off the bat that the majority will say "SNES pwns genesis!". But for those who will put their fanboy attitude to temporay rest and have a good look at this, let's see which console deserves the title of 16 Bit King!

There are 3 categories I will check. In Category 1 I will check each a selection of genres and select the best 16 bit game for each genre. In Category 2 I will check my good ol' pals at fillbustercartoons.com and have a browse through the top 10 games of all time lists of the premier gaming websites and magazines on both sides of the pacific and atlantic. Finally, I will see which console itself is superior.

Ok, lets go with Category 1: Best games of each genre. Because of the lack of FPS, instead it will be replaced by the term "3D game that involves shooting"

Action-Adventure: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Fighting: Street Fighter II
3D shooter: Star Fox
2D shooter: Super Metroid
Puzzle: Tetris (assuming a version appeared on SNES)
Racing: Super Mario Kart
RPG: Chrono Trigger/ Final Fantasy III/VI / Super Mario RPG
Sports: NHL '94
Platform: Super Mario World

As can be seen from these genres, the SNES totally dominates in quality of games and, apart from the sports genre, and to some matter of opinion, platform, fighting and RPG, the SNES is the best games console compared to it's 16-bit counterpart. Now, time to see how it stands the test of time.

Category 2: Top 10 lists

Thanks to the people at filibustercartoons.com for allowing me to do this next category. At this website, they have a collection of the top 10 lists over numerous years and from the leading authorities on gaming. It also helps that these lists take into account lists from the same source over numerous years, showing how the opinion of 16 bit games have changed over time. The latest list is from 1996, with the newest being from the end of 2008. There are 32 lists in total

Games are ranked on how many lists they appear in.

Here is the real Top 10 video games of all time

1st: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (22 out of 32)
2nd: Super Mario 64 (20 out of 32)
3rd: Tetris (19 out of 32)
4th: Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (17 out of 32)
5th equal: Golden Eye007 & Street Fighter II (14 out of 32)
7th equal: Super Metroid & Super Mario Bros (10 out of 32)
9th: Final Fantasy III/VI (9 out of 32)
10th: Final Fantasy VII: (7 out of 32)

Straight off the bat you notice something. Not only does the SNES have the most games on the list tied with the Nintendo 64, but Sega isn't on the list AT ALL! In fact, after a quick flick through, it becomes evident. There are 11 SNES titles in all 32 lists, second only to the PC. NOT A SINGLE GENESIS GAME IS IN ANY OF THE 32 LISTS!!!!!!!!!! This shows that not only the Super Nintnedo is one of the greatest consoles of all time, but the Genesis has no legacy and apart from the 16 bit era, has no reputation for being a powerful force in any genre except 2D platformers.

Finally, apart from blast processing, it is evient that overall, the Genesis is inferior as a consle to the SNES. 3-0, clean swee to the Super Nintendo.

If I were to post this on a Sega fanboy site, I would probably get flamed back to the 1990's, but that's life. Anyway, suck on that Sega. You may of been popular back then, but you end up being a shadow of the SNES
__________________


To see an index of my review, click here
Latest review: Ristar
SegaSlayer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
Siberianhusky89
Member
Points: 2,740, Level: 31
Points: 2,740, Level: 31 Points: 2,740, Level: 31 Points: 2,740, Level: 31
User owns 1x Nintendo DS
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Heaven or Hell
Posts: 299

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Siberianhusky89 We have a Nintendo Fan in the Making

Oh HELL no, not on my turf son. There will be no fighting between these two systems. I will approve them as equally valued. Also, I think Wario's Woods was a pretty damned good game as well by the way. Also, you may not have noticed, however, on their top 10 list, every game is Nintendo, no other is mentioned, no mention of N64's "rival system" Playstation 1. Anyhow, I think they're both equal and that there are alot of underrated games for the Genesis besides Shining Force and such. Also, I wish there was a Sega Genesis section of the site. Continuing on.

Here are some of MY lists of top 10 genre games or whatever for the Genesis.

(Shmups are games such as Gradius, my friend knows way more about these than I do, so I'll ask him later so I can make revisions.)

Action: Golden Axe (This was also a beat em up though)
Fighting: Chances are Street Fighter 2 (Most likely one of it's remakes)
Horizontal Shmup: M.U.S.H.A
Vertical Shmup: Traditionally: Probably Gley Lancer Otherwise: Contra HardCorps
Adventure: Toejam and Earl (Had some of the baddest music too)
Beat 'em up: Streets of Rage 2
Puzzle: Lemmings
Racing: Rock and Roll Racing (Multiplatformer)
Roleplaying: I'd say Shadowrun, however, others would probably say Shining Force or Phantasy Star
Sports: Mutant League Games
Platform: Sonic The Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles

Eh, since this list is messy, I'll just mention some games I believe are underrated for the Genesis now because of this.

General Choas: A great game with a unique idea. It's more of a strategy based game however, it works in one of the best ways ever and they were really smart on how they did the 2 player mode which is ultra fun. It's kind of a cooky but awesome war game that has balanced characters, even if it doesn't seem so at first.

Rock N' Roll Racing: Probably one of the best racing games I've ever played in my life. I believe it uses 3D Graphics, the music contains recreation of classic rock music, the announcer is awesome, the vehicles are great, the upgrade system is pretty amazing as well.

Haunting Starring Polterguy: This game is truly unique. It's probably the only game of it's kind, and from what I've heard, the closest game that comes anywhere NEAR this is Geist, and it's still nothing alike in comparison. You try to scare off these losers from their house by entering objects and leaving them, entering them and controlling them, or using them when they're paying attention in your direction. It's so fun just to watch the objects and has some replay value because there are things you may not have seen or controlled in the game.

Gemfire: To be honest, I'm not sure about this one, but apparently it's really good according to my cousins, so I'll just list it but I won't say much about it since I haven't personally played it.

Roadrash series: I wasn't really sure if I should list this because I think (or thought) it was a popular Sega Genesis game, however, I could be wrong. This game is pretty amazing for a racing game as well. It involves riding on motorcycles, beating your opponents off of the motorcycle with weapons like chains, wooden sticks, ect... You get knocked off, you have to run to your bike... If you want XD

There are other games as well, however, I currently can't think of a list, I might make mention of some later.
Siberianhusky89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
SegaSlayer33
Finishing the Fight
Points: 21,468, Level: 92
Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92
User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x SNES Controller
 
SegaSlayer33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,232

My Mood: Thinking
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 40
SegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enoughSegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enough


Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster Game Reviewer 
Total Awards: 3

PSN ID: Get your own Xbox Live Gamertag: Get your own
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky89 View Post
Oh HELL no, not on my turf son. There will be no fighting between these two systems. I will approve them as equally valued. Also, I think Wario's Woods was a pretty damned good game as well by the way. Also, you may not have noticed, however, on their top 10 list, every game is Nintendo, no other is mentioned, no mention of N64's "rival system" Playstation 1. Anyhow, I think they're both equal and that there are alot of underrated games for the Genesis besides Shining Force and such. Also, I wish there was a Sega Genesis section of the site. Continuing on.

Here are some of MY lists of top 10 genre games or whatever for the Genesis.

(Shmups are games such as Gradius, my friend knows way more about these than I do, so I'll ask him later so I can make revisions.)

Action: Golden Axe (This was also a beat em up though)
Fighting: Chances are Street Fighter 2 (Most likely one of it's remakes)
Horizontal Shmup: M.U.S.H.A
Vertical Shmup: Traditionally: Probably Gley Lancer Otherwise: Contra HardCorps
Adventure: Toejam and Earl (Had some of the baddest music too)
Beat 'em up: Streets of Rage 2
Puzzle: Lemmings
Racing: Rock and Roll Racing (Multiplatformer)
Roleplaying: I'd say Shadowrun, however, others would probably say Shining Force or Phantasy Star
Sports: Mutant League Games
Platform: Sonic The Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles

Eh, since this list is messy, I'll just mention some games I believe are underrated for the Genesis now because of this.

General Choas: A great game with a unique idea. It's more of a strategy based game however, it works in one of the best ways ever and they were really smart on how they did the 2 player mode which is ultra fun. It's kind of a cooky but awesome war game that has balanced characters, even if it doesn't seem so at first.

Rock N' Roll Racing: Probably one of the best racing games I've ever played in my life. I believe it uses 3D Graphics, the music contains recreation of classic rock music, the announcer is awesome, the vehicles are great, the upgrade system is pretty amazing as well.

Haunting Starring Polterguy: This game is truly unique. It's probably the only game of it's kind, and from what I've heard, the closest game that comes anywhere NEAR this is Geist, and it's still nothing alike in comparison. You try to scare off these losers from their house by entering objects and leaving them, entering them and controlling them, or using them when they're paying attention in your direction. It's so fun just to watch the objects and has some replay value because there are things you may not have seen or controlled in the game.

Gemfire: To be honest, I'm not sure about this one, but apparently it's really good according to my cousins, so I'll just list it but I won't say much about it since I haven't personally played it.

Roadrash series: I wasn't really sure if I should list this because I think (or thought) it was a popular Sega Genesis game, however, I could be wrong. This game is pretty amazing for a racing game as well. It involves riding on motorcycles, beating your opponents off of the motorcycle with weapons like chains, wooden sticks, ect... You get knocked off, you have to run to your bike... If you want XD

There are other games as well, however, I currently can't think of a list, I might make mention of some later.
First off, these lists have mostly Nintendo games because of one simple reason. This is the top 10 games of all time, not the Sega Fanboy relief fund. If those games were better, they would be on the list. Remember, even back in 1997, not a single genesis game was on the list because not a single genesis game is in the top 10 of all time. Most Nintendo games are the best because they are the best. Some Genesis games are underrated, but they wouldn't be my pick over their SNES competition

Sega does have Nintendo beat in Sports and racing games, I'll give them that. And, to some extend, you could argue that the Genesis Sonic games were better than Super Mario World if you give some room for biased opinion. But the reason that Final Fantasy is in the top 10 instead of Phantasy Star is because, let's not forget, these opinions are of the premier gaming magazines and websites across the world, not of one ordinary persons opinion. And that pretty much means that they are going to be right.

Lets look at it this way. Overall, the SNES is the superior console itself, in terms of technology as a whole. The SNES has the better Action-Adventure genre game, with Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past beating Golden axe. Fighting will always be an opinion bout between SF2 and MK, so lets just forget that (MK was better with Sega though).

Super Metroid and Star Fox take oth 2D and 3D shooters. I'll admit that Lemmings is probably a better puzzle game on a home console than Tetris is on the GameBoy.

The Mario and Sonic war will always will be a fanboy bout, and seeing I can't be sure that people will agree, I'll leave this to a tie. Racing is Super Mario Kart. And now time for the big daddy. RPG

If return to the premier magazines, then Final Fantasy III/VI is the best RPG of all time. So there, beaten. Chrono Tigger and Super Mario RPG boost the act. Super Nintendo wins.
__________________


To see an index of my review, click here
Latest review: Ristar

Last edited by SegaSlayer33; 01-13-2009 at 07:31 PM.
SegaSlayer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #4
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,287, Level: 100
Points: 38,287, Level: 100 Points: 38,287, Level: 100 Points: 38,287, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto
 
Konata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Stoke, England
Posts: 7,709

My Mood: Inspired
Thanks: 53
Thanked 96 Times in 67 Posts
Rep Power: 232
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

Ok..I cant be bothered to read all these, and unfortunately, due to my year of birth (beggining of 94) i didn't get any SNES or Genesis action..although i don't see why your saying which CONSOLE is better...its about the games on the console, and how they play.
__________________

My little sister can't be this non-existent


Konata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
op89x
Not on the review team
Points: 3,648, Level: 37
Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Water Element
 
op89x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,099

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 55
op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegaSlayer33 View Post
But the reason that Final Fantasy is in the top 10 instead of Phantasy Star is because, let's not forget, these opinions are of the premier gaming magazines and websites across the world, not of an ordinary persons opinion. And that pretty much means that they are going to be right.
Oh, I've never read a sentence on this forum as wrong as that one. Are you saying that gaming magazines are always right about games, while the "ordinary person" is not? Who do you think goes out and buys all these games? Ordinary people. The gamers shape the face of gaming. Every time you buy a game, it's like you're voting for it. You're telling the gaming market, "I'd like some more of this, please."

Sure, SNES was the better console, but your line of reasoning is just faulty.
__________________

op89x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
Siberianhusky89
Member
Points: 2,740, Level: 31
Points: 2,740, Level: 31 Points: 2,740, Level: 31 Points: 2,740, Level: 31
User owns 1x Nintendo DS
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Heaven or Hell
Posts: 299

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Siberianhusky89 We have a Nintendo Fan in the Making

I would also like to add on as well. Sorry friend, however, just because a game is rated better by a magazine and is popularized by fans (fagboys) doesn't mean the game is the greatest.

Example: People played Super Smash Bros. Ness was overpowered in the original Super Smash Bros. So people played the game because Super Smash Bros was a great game and were like "Wow, this game is great." They used shitty logic. Same happened to Fire Emblem which was popularized on the SNES (But SUCKED on the SNES by the way, where as Earthbound is a great game, just overrated). Anyhow, my point is this...

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!"
Siberianhusky89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:30 PM   #7
SegaSlayer33
Finishing the Fight
Points: 21,468, Level: 92
Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92
User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x SNES Controller
 
SegaSlayer33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,232

My Mood: Thinking
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 40
SegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enoughSegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enough


Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster Game Reviewer 
Total Awards: 3

PSN ID: Get your own Xbox Live Gamertag: Get your own
Quote:
Originally Posted by op89x View Post
Oh, I've never read a sentence on this forum as wrong as that one. Are you saying that gaming magazines are always right about games, while the "ordinary person" is not? Who do you think goes out and buys all these games? Ordinary people. The gamers shape the face of gaming. Every time you buy a game, it's like you're voting for it. You're telling the gaming market, "I'd like some more of this, please."

Sure, SNES was the better console, but your line of reasoning is just faulty.
Sorry if you misunderstood, I'm not saying that gaming magazines are always right, but they have a far higher chance than one person, especially when you consider the sources are from Asia, Europe and America. 32 sources versus 1 biased source pretty much sums it all up. It's people's choice which is best, this is just what the premier magazines and sites have said over the years.

Maybe if I replace "an" with "one" then you understand what I mean.
__________________


To see an index of my review, click here
Latest review: Ristar

Last edited by SegaSlayer33; 01-13-2009 at 08:12 PM.
SegaSlayer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:45 PM   #8
op89x
Not on the review team
Points: 3,648, Level: 37
Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Water Element
 
op89x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,099

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 55
op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegaSlayer33 View Post
Sorry if you misunderstood, I'm not saying that gaming magazines are always right, but they have a far higher chance than one person, especially when you consider the sources are from Asia, Europe and America. 32 sources versus 1 biased source pretty much sums it all up. It's people's choice which is best, this is just what the premier magazines and sites have said over the years.

Maybe if I replace "an" with "one" then you understand what I mean.
I always understood what you were trying to say. It's just that it's not true. There is no such thing as a "best" video game. It will always be in the eye of the beholder.

Your argument that 32 sources have a better chance at getting it right plays both ways; they have a better chance at screwing it up, as well. Not only that, but they have other motivations that the average person does not. For example, target audiences, reader expectations, credibility, and money all factor into their reviews. This is why I get all my reviews from blogs or from places like NFF.

You simply can't use top-ten lists to determine whether one console was "better" than another.
__________________

op89x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #9
SegaSlayer33
Finishing the Fight
Points: 21,468, Level: 92
Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92
User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x SNES Controller
 
SegaSlayer33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,232

My Mood: Thinking
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 40
SegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enoughSegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enough


Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster Game Reviewer 
Total Awards: 3

PSN ID: Get your own Xbox Live Gamertag: Get your own
Quote:
Originally Posted by op89x View Post
I always understood what you were trying to say. It's just that it's not true. There is no such thing as a "best" video game. It will always be in the eye of the beholder.

Your argument that 32 sources have a better chance at getting it right plays both ways; they have a better chance at screwing it up, as well. Not only that, but they have other motivations that the average person does not. For example, target audiences, reader expectations, credibility, and money all factor into their reviews. This is why I get all my reviews from blogs or from places like NFF.

You simply can't use top-ten lists to determine whether one console was "better" than another.
32 sources means that one biased opinion doesn't affect the list as a whole. It means what is generally accepted as being the best is shown, not one website's different opinion. This makes 32 sources better than 1 because, lets face it, how does 32 sources make something more likely to be screwed up?

The problem with blogs and such is that they are usually biased. The point is, I still don't see a single genesis game in anyone's list. which means the games might of been good, but not the best.

The "target audiences, reader expectations, credibility, and money" are a factor, but if you look at the different lists, they do have different opinions. The credibility of putting one game ahead of another in a Top 10 list =
:r ofl:

If you look at IGN, they didnt put Oot at the top like everybody else until 2008, and even now Stuff magazine is quite different than IGN. The different opinions mould together to form a better overall answer.

If you read the original thread, instead of referring to my second post, then you will notice that I did, in fact, take different options into account.

Of course it is their opinion in the end whether the game is good. But using a wide source range shows that the opinion is not biased, and that a majority also feels that the game is of top quality.

There, I answered all of the things that you posted about.
__________________


To see an index of my review, click here
Latest review: Ristar
SegaSlayer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:55 PM   #10
op89x
Not on the review team
Points: 3,648, Level: 37
Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Water Element
 
op89x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,099

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 55
op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 
Total Awards: 2

My responses in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegaSlayer33 View Post
32 sources means that one biased opinion doesn't affect the list as a whole. It means what is generally accepted as being the best is shown, not one website's different opinion. This makes 32 sources better than 1 because, lets face it, how does 32 sources make something more likely to be screwed up?

You're talking about taking 32 sources into account at the same time. Which would mean instead of one person having a 50% chance to screw up, you have 32 people having a 50% chance to screw it up. It's a simple exponential.

The problem with blogs and such is that they are usually biased. The point is, I still don't see a single genesis game in anyone's list. which means the games might of been good, but not the best.

Of course they're biased! All reviews are biased; that's the point.

The "target audiences, reader expectations, credibility, and money" are a factor, but if you look at the different lists, they do have different opinions. The credibility of putting one game ahead of another in a Top 10 list =
:r ofl:

You have obviously never worked for the media.

If you look at IGN, they didnt put Oot at the top like everybody else until 2008, and even now Stuff magazine is quite different than IGN. The different opinions mould together to form a better overall answer.

This matters why?

If you read the original thread, instead of referring to my second post, then you will notice that I did, in fact, take different options into account.

Read it. Always do.

Of course it is their opinion in the end whether the game is good. But using a wide source range shows that the opinion is not biased, and that a majority also feels that the game is of top quality.

Like I said earlier, all opinions are biased. Simply reading more opinions won't hide you from it.

There, I answered all of the things that you posted about.
__________________

op89x is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who has a Super Nintendo? gamerman64 Super Nintendo 89 07-25-2011 02:29 AM
Post here all your favorite sega genesis/cd/x32 games Beasty Nintendo Games 9 04-21-2010 03:13 PM
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection Lukario Microsoft Xbox 11 03-08-2010 02:57 PM
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection da Beef General Chat 7 07-19-2009 08:00 PM
Sega Genesis Collection SegaSlayer33 Sony PlayStation 12 06-11-2009 04:32 PM

NFF Youtube Videos NFF Facebook page

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Nintendo Blog

Nintendofanforum.com is a Nintendo fansite and is not associated with or endorsed by Nintendo of America, Inc.
All trademarks and images belong to their respective owners.
Nintendo Wii