Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Super Smash Bros. Melee(GC) - Review
Super Smash Bros. Melee(GC) - Review
wing2871x
Published by Saru786
01-21-2009
Author review
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 98%
Link Old Super Smash Bros. Melee(GC) - Review

Hello there. This is wing2871x's boring and long review of the best GC game, Super Smash Bros. Melee. Follow up to the 1999 N64 game, Super Smash Bros and predecessor of the 2008 Wii game, Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I hope you likes it!

Introduction
Super Smash Brothers Melee - A smashing blast, I might say. This game was extremely fun, with thrills to the very end. When the first Super Smash Brothers game came out in 1999, people, including myself, thought of it as a joke, with the commercial of Pikachu and Donkey Kong and Mario and Yoshi holding hands and skipping through fields. I tried the game, and I was shocked at how fun it truly was. When the Gamecube came out, I bought it just for this game. The improvement Nintendo made from one of their already great games was extraordinary. In Super Smash Brothers Melee, you can tell everything has been added on to, since the first game. This game is one that went down in the records as a classic Nintendo game, with all the classic Nintendo Characters, from as far back as 1980. Welcome, Gamers, to the most fun game ever made for the Gamecube and, best of all, even noobs can play it.

Gameplay(10/10) -This is what makes the game great, above anything else. The game is extremely fun. You are able to choose from 25 classic Nintendo characters, including Mario, Peach, Daisy, and now, unlike the first, Bowser. You also have some outside characters such as Pikachu, returning from the first game. Playing as these little guys is a blast. Super Smash Brothers is basically a game where you pick these characters and use their many abilities to try and destroy your opponents. All the characters have special jumps, projectiles, and even the way the punch, kick, and move is different. You have a wide variety of levels to play as well. Many people that are new to Nintendo and the game think it is bad because it is two dimensional, but you have to remember, some of the most fun classic Nintendo games are two dimensional, like the original Super Mario Brothers. It gives it an extra twist to not be three dimensional, because now you all play on the same screen instead of splitting the screen and looking for each other through huge levels, like Goldeneye (don’t get me wrong, that is still extremely fun). You also have a new bonus to this game - event matches and adventure mode. Adventure mode is like Mario brothers, two dimensional but with all the things from the original game; except you may pick any character you want to go on the journey - there are mazes, caves, and much, much more. Event mode is where you pick or are assigned a character to go to a particular event and fight a certain character or characters. For example, the first event (not spoilers) features you being Mario with one life going to meet Bowser on the metal level. This game cant get much more fun, and now, with tournament mode built in the game, people from all over will have tourney’s to show their skills.

Graphics(10/10) - It might look two dimensional - while in play. But when you pause the game, you are able to see the three dimensional view of what is going on, with crisp graphics of the moment. During the moving game, the graphics of the levels are excellent, but even better are the graphics of the projectiles and appearances of the characters. The colors are also excellent, so the designers of this game must have made a bunch of other excellent games as well. You can clearly see the crispness and the sharpness of the walls, floors, and even the back round day or night sky. The amount of pixels clearly portrayed is amazing, and because of the many pixels every single distinguishing feature can be seen. And, of course, the graphics have improved because the game is on a cd-rom and the Gamecube has a better graphic and video card.

See What I Mean?

Music/Sound(10/10) -The sound in this game is a big step up from the first game. There are a variety of songs for each level, including newly made songs that (amazingly) have words. In Donkey Kong’s level, there is a special song about him being King of the Jungle, etc. They have also put SUM 41 and other rock bands in it, using the parts of their songs with no words. Its not only the songs that motivate the player - the sound effects are excellent also. That feeling you get when you hear Samus release an energy ball, the sound off a dying character yelling. It is all very exhilarating and motivating. It is just one reason that you should buy this game.

PlayTime/Replayability(10/10) -This game never gets old. You can keep earned characters, bonus levels, and playing tourneys until you have mastered one or more characters, and then you can continue to play with more and more friends, because it is rare that you will cross someone who does not like Super Smash Brothers Melee. You can also play in tournaments, and because of the overwhelming amount of people that love this game, there will be plenty of those. The player becomes like the energizer bunny. You just keep playing, and playing, and playing…

Controls(10/10) - It is a Nintendo Gamecube controller, for crying out loud! Of course the controls are going to be great, including the comfort, because Nintendo has the best controller, in my opinion, of any game system ever made. The analog stick is used to move the character, X and Y to jump, the new accelerate button R to shield, Z to throw, and C to change view of use a special move. All very fitting, I might add. Not to mention you are able to use the wave bird with this game so you can play all across tourney or at home rooms or auditoriums.

To Make It More Detailed

Storyline(9/10) - Not really a story here, but that does not take away the game’s unique ability to entertain. There is a basic story line in the event mode, but you are using different characters; it is not just the journey of one character. However, the one character journey is in adventure mode, but that is only a mere part of the game and a story only for that mode. But with a game this fun, who needs a storyline?

Multiplayer(10/10) - The Multiplayer in this game is awesome! You are able to play in many different modes, including Giant or Tiny Melee, where you are giants or midgets, or play in a tournament mode where players use their characters to try and get to the final round and win it so they win the tournament. And, of course, there is the classic normal Melee, pick a level, pick a character, and fight. There are a few levels from the original game in this game, but most of them are brand new and fun than ever. There is a much larger selection of levels, including ones where you move from place to place. You are also able to play with very large levels, such as a large temple.

Overall(10/10) - Buy this game, you’ll have no regrets. It is action packed to the very end with fun for all, and it never gets old, because you can always get better. Hats off to Nintendo. They made an excellent game, friendly to all. With so many things added on from the first. Truly, what made this game better was the controller that Gamecube has, the vast amount of characters with new abilities and the old characters with more abilities, and more than anything else, the event mode. This added a story line and a whole new challenge to the game that was never there before. Though it is very similar to the first, you can clearly tell the difference - because with a new great system comes a new great game. As for the difficulty, well, it all depends. For multiplayer you can set the computer playing units on levels one through nine, nine being the best skilled. In event matches, as you might have guessed, the lower the event number the easier, and the further you get the harder it is. Nintendo also made an impossible to beat mode called Cruel Melee, where the player cannot win, and polynoms attack you until you die. You can try to get as many of them off as you can before you fall. The Items in this game are great as well. Many of the classics, like the hammer, and many classic items have been improved, like the pokeball, now having a much wider variety of pokemon. There are also new items, like the bunny ears and growing and shrinking mushrooms. Overall, it’s an almost perfect game.

Final Recommendation: Buy Or Not Buy?
Buy. Final.
for reading this review! Rate it good...or else.

- to this game!

- Next Review: Not Sure ATM!!!

This review was written by wing2871x and the original can be found here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/game...ew/R54115.html
Published by
Enter Sandman
Saru786 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to Saru786 Send a message via Yahoo to Saru786
Sponsored Links
By Brandyn on 01-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Nice review for a great game. Though Brawl is better, it seems to get old and you feel the want to stop playing for a while. Melee never gets old!
By Saru786 on 01-22-2009, 11:06 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 98%
Thanks. That is right. Brawl just gets so...boring. Melee is the way to go!
By Brandyn on 01-23-2009, 12:10 AM
Unhappy

Well, yeah Brawl will get boring if you don't take a break. You don't have to do that in Melee. Plus it seems more fun to play with friends.
Also I hate how alot of the characters were nerfed. My favorites, Captain Falcon and Sheik were nerfed so bad and I was very disappointed in Brawl for that. My favorite characters!And alot of the good Melee people weren't back like Roy. I like Ike but I would probably do better with Roy.
By Saru786 on 01-23-2009, 12:24 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 98%
I know, right? That's why Brawl was too...modern for me.
By Brandyn on 01-23-2009, 12:33 AM
Yeah, lacked that classic feel that 64 and Melee had. What really saved it I think was the inclusion of the third party men. Don't get me wrong though I love it but yeah it's not really the same.

And that damn final smash annoys me sometime because alot of the time I have been cheated out of a just about guarenteed victory just because of that stupid FS ball I just turned it the freak off. I still play Melee

Who are your Melee mains?
By Saru786 on 01-23-2009, 12:40 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 98%
Link. Final. He's too good in Melee. But in Brawl, he sucks. I always lose with him in Brawl. I pwn with him in Melee. See?
By Brandyn on 01-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Really? I think Link has improved a bit in Brawl, just a tad slower.

My favorites were Captain Falcon and Sheik as said before. The people I didn't really use are fine, but the ones I just so happened to love were nerfed
By Saru786 on 01-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 98%
No. He's just not what he was like before. The controls for him don't make sense in a way where you can control him to how you like.
By op89x on 04-11-2009, 03:04 AM
Original post edited.
Comment