Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo Wii Reviews

Notices

Nintendo Wii Reviews Section for all Nintendo Wii Game Reviews and Wiiware Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Red Steel(Wii) - Review
Red Steel(Wii) - Review
MeleeDragon27
Published by Saru786
01-22-2009
Author review
Graphics
20%20%20%
Storyline
10%10%10%
Controls/Gameplay
15%15%15%
Sound
45%45%45%
Average 23%
Angry Red Steel(Wii) - Review

This is MeleeDragon27's review on the horrible Wii FPS game, Red Steel. What's so horrible about it? Let's find out.

Introduction
If my memory serves me correctly, Red Steel was one of the first games to debut on the Nintendo Wii and the first Wii title to offer screenshots of the game in action. Our French pals at Ubisoft listened to various groups on how to make this game and no doubt tried to make the best of the Wii controls – from gunplay to swordplay, Red Steel was no doubt a game that was initially meant to bring the gamer into the action like no other FPS. Sadly, what may have been a decent game was marred by an overly cliche storyline, worst controls, and so-so visuals. As I type this review, I'm thinking about the areas of Red Steel. None of them are good or interesting to think about.

Storyline(1/10)
The storyline itself is overly cliche, as I said earlier. Basically, you play as an average Joe (technically, his name is Scott) and you recently proposed to a Japanese woman you've been dating for some time, but before you set a wedding date, she wants you to meet her father, who happens to be a very rich man. However, it turns out her old man is also Yakuza, and a rival Yakuza clan hits the restaurant, killing the old man's henchmen and injuring the old guy himself, with the girl being rushed to safety. So with this said, Scott the average Joe, out of seemingly nowhere, becomes what seems like Chuck Norris, and starts taking down all these Yakuza fiends with whatever guns you find, occasionally engaging in a swordfight with your nifty katana. He was only a small bodyguard before with one little gun. Eventually, as you escape the chaos, your girl gets kidnapped and after rushing her father to safety, you gotta find out where she is and rescue her. You start off in Los Angeles, California, but later make your way to Tokyo, Japan in your adventure of submachine guns and katanas. Basically, it's a save-the-girl scenario and a cookie cutter plot for most action films. There was little originality with the story here, and most of the events are usually told in-game through dialogue between characters and the occasional comic book-esque cutscene using the game's rendered visuals. There's little information detailing who you (Scott) are and how you've come to be the gun-toting, sword-swinging badass you are here and the game's storyline is otherwise most predictable. Don't expect any surprises with the story…but the gameplay is a whole different story.

Controls/Gameplay(1.5/10)
If you were to give this game conventional controls, it would be nothing more than any other FPS title with some additional swordfights (Fun Fact: You can ONLY use your sword during these fights – you can't shoot the swordsmen, and you can't slice up the gunners)…however, Ubisoft must have been hoping to spice things up by implementing the Wii Remote controls to no end…Here's my favorite: If you want to focus your gun so you can more easily get a bead on some random baddie, you have to hold “A” to lock onto him and then move your Wii Remote towards the screen in order to zoom in. But that's not the best part, since due to the sometimes unresponsive controls, you may have to move that remote so close, you're going to have to get up from your chair and even take a step or two…cause that's how aiming a gun works in real life…not. Oh, and the aiming? It's downright horrible. In order to aim, you simply move the Wii Remote to aim your reticule and press “B” to fire. Moving the reticule to the edge of the screen turns your character in that direction. On paper, it sounds fine, but the problem? The response time is awful; there are only three modes of sensitivity, and all of them are either to sensitive or too unresponsive, meaning either the aiming reticule is either going to be zipping across the screen wildly, or it isn't going to move fast enough to catch up with that guy who is strafing to the side. And when you do decide to lock onto an enemy and zoom in, sometimes you won't even be able to see your target because the gun is blocking your view. This is a first for me, since usually when I aim a gun in a game, my character uses the gun's aiming reticules (or the scope if there is one), or in the very least the camera zooms in a little with the gun still visible, but at least out of the way. Here, it's just… ugh. Swordfights aren't much better, especially since half the time the game doesn't even register your swings as attacks, and more often than not I find myself trying to parry attacks rather than dodging them. Upon winning a swordfight, you either have the option of finishing them via a final swing, or sparing their lives and earning their respect. I have yet to know what exactly this respect gets you, as I haven't received any messages signaling unlockables and such, but it feels like it does absolutely nothing. Of course, since I'm usually a merciful guy nevertheless, I often find myself sparing them…maybe it's due to their low AI and their easily predictable attacks. The gunners are just as bad, as it sometimes seems like most of them are just sitting in the rooms waiting for you to come in. They'll sometimes kick a table down for protection, but they're still pretty easy to kill…at least once the controls function properly. They aren't smart enough to pose a severe threat on their own, nor do the shootouts contain enough of these henchmen to really overwhelm you. There's no real satisfaction to killing them, save relief once you finally end your mediocre shoot-out.

Graphics(2/10)
And mediocre is exactly how you can describe most of the graphics here. The explosions and sparks look nice, sure, but most everything else wasn't exactly awe-inspiring. There was nothing in the game that really “wowed” me…the destructible environments were nice, but there really isn't a great deal to destroy, and it's not like you get any bonuses for doing so. Guess what? There is no blood! Isn't that funny?! Just about everything in this game, from the enemies to the environments, felt rather generic and uninteresting. There's little here that I haven't already seen in most video games. But it isn't too bad, or so I think.

Don't they kinda look like GameCube graphics?

Sound/Music(4.5/10)
But if there was one thing I'd have to say about this game that's actually good, it'd be the music. The music itself is usually rather ambient when you're just exploring, but the tempo increases once you encounter enemies, and what plays from here ranges from either rock to J-pop. Even the main menu has a decent melody, portraying a bleak oriental avenue. While it's not exactly great, it's good enough to pass on its own. The other sound effects seem to match well to their environment, although the voice isn't exactly the best. It almost felt like Ubisoft suffered from a lack of voice actors here, as most of the enemies, regardless of nationality and race, seem to spurt out the same things in the same voices. Oriental? Black? White? It doesn't matter here, since they all have the same voicework and rarely have variety to them with the exception of the sword fights (where the characters look different from other generic baddies you see, although the differences aren't major…).

Overall
This is a game I can't imagine playing again, be it with myself or with friends. Don't buy it, don't play it, don't even touch it. This has little of interest, save the fancy Wii controls, and those aren't even that great. The music and the sound are the only thing that make this game even the slightest bit noteworthy, even though they have little effect on it. Even if this game did use conventional controls, Red Steel would be a mediocre game at best, since there are a plethora of other flaws from bland visuals, uninteresting story, or the otherwise boring shootouts. There is just little this game has going for it and it's hard to recommend to anyone at all.

Final Recommendation: Buy Or Not Buy?
Not Buy. But, if you really have to, rent it. If you like it(which you probably won't) buy it. Just think before you do.

for reading MeleeDragon27's review of Red Steel. I hope MeleeDragon27 hasn't bored you and please a comment on telling me what you thought of his review, and what your opinion is on this game, if you want.

- to Ubisoft!

- Next Review: Mario Kart Double Dash!(GC)

This review was written by MeleeDragon27 and the original can be found here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/review/R123968.html
Published by
Enter Sandman
Saru786 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to Saru786 Send a message via Yahoo to Saru786
Sponsored Links
By op89x on 01-23-2009, 07:51 PM
What about the multiplayer? And just so you know, it is possibly to slash gunners. Just get up close and do something (shake the nunchuk? It's been a while and I don't remember) and you'll slash them good.
By Mario on 01-23-2009, 08:04 PM
wheew glad I never bought this game. I was thinking about it for the slashing...
By Konata on 01-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
75%75%75%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 91%
Lies

no offence to your opinion Saru, obviously your entitled to it, i just don't agree, Red Steel was one of the best games on the Wii, it had amazing sound/storyline, the controls were a bit dodgy and the graphics were awesome. Multiplayer just added to how good it was.
Last edited by op89x; 01-24-2009 at 02:03 PM..
By Saru786 on 01-23-2009, 08:25 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
20%20%20%
Storyline
10%10%10%
Controls/Gameplay
15%15%15%
Sound
45%45%45%
Average 23%
To me, it had to much of a simple storyline for a FPS game for the Wii. The controls were not dodgy, but downright horrible. Graphics look like Gamecube which is bad even for a debut Wii title. I have yet to play multiplayer and see how it is. The sound and music was good, but mostly too Japanese, even for a Japanese type game. Not enough bands type of music to really get it going.

To me, even QoS was better than this bull. But that's your opinion and I respect it.
By AlloftheAbove on 01-24-2009, 12:27 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
75%75%75%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
75%75%75%
Average 78%
I hired this game and I didn't think it was that bad...
It was one of the first Wii games I ever played, I loved it.
It made great use of the motion-sensing technology that the Wii had to offer and it showed Sony and Microsoft fans that there was more to the Wii than Mario.
By Saru786 on 01-24-2009, 12:46 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
20%20%20%
Storyline
10%10%10%
Controls/Gameplay
15%15%15%
Sound
45%45%45%
Average 23%
Others game also showed that there are more games to the Wii than Mario. They were better. Of course, most Sony fans would bash Nintendo because of this game. Which I find quite stupid and no reason to bash Nintendo.
By Pandy bear on 01-24-2009, 01:18 AM
Calm down, dude...
It's just a game.
To me, this sounds like it was one of the first sword-weilding AND shooting games on the Wii. It would be more like an introduction for people to see what a Wii could do and the Wii just isn't about cutesy graphics and completely multiplayer games. I'll rent this game and then speak my oppionion of it.
By Saru786 on 01-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
20%20%20%
Storyline
10%10%10%
Controls/Gameplay
15%15%15%
Sound
45%45%45%
Average 23%
I am calm. 0_o

This is not the right way to show what a Wii can do. Making it look like the console is not living up to what the graphics should be like. Even though the game is probably the first FPS for the Wii, it should have had something amazing or atleast great to it. This game shows how bad a FPS can be on the Wii to others.
By op89x on 04-11-2009, 03:01 AM
Original post edited.
Comment