Nintendo Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Super Mario Bros.(NES) - Review
Super Mario Bros.(NES) - Review
thesampleman
Published by Saru786
01-23-2009
Author review
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 100%
Sm Mario Super Mario Bros.(NES) - Review

Welcome to thesampleman's review of Super Mario Bros., the NES classic. The game that never gets old no matter how old it is. I hopes you likes this review.

Introduction
Super Mario Bros. is the game that launched a faltering industry. This game being the launchpad to the imagination and merriment that gaming has brought to all us gamers all over the world. Without Mario the history of gaming and basically showbiz would be different. Without this game who knows if Tomb Raider is created and becomes a smash box office movie. Without this game who knows if there would be any Final Fantasies, Suikodens, or Jak and Daxters. We all should be very grateful to this game for being what it is a truly splendid gaming classic filled with imagination, creativity, and above all else fun. That is all you can ask of a game is to be, fun, and Super Mario Bros. does not disappoint.

Story(10/10)
Well, as for story basically the princess, Peach Toadstool, has been captured and it is your job to go and rescue her. The story, while not imaginative, does just the job for this game. Even after you run into another toad that says "our princess is in another castle" you'll still want to continue on and rescue her from the evil clutches of Bowser, the classic Mario villain. The story is progressed after each meeting with the toads and each new world you conquer in your search for her.

Graphics(10/10)
These are AWESOME graphics for the NES! Each world is imaginatively filled with blocks that shimmer with question marks. Mario is such a nice looking sprite, it is a wonder how they did it with the technology back in those days. All the enemies are nicely animated and are nicely drawn. The animations to defeat each enemy are nice such as the Goombas getting squished, etc. The special effects such as Mario "spitting" fireballs at his opponents are nicely programmed and the differences in small and big Mario are fun to see. Big Mario looks a little strange and dumpy looking, while little Mario does not look like the mascot of today. All in all, these graphics for the game are awesome, no, PERFECT for it's release year!

Doesn't it just look awesome for a NES game?

Music/Sound(10/10)
There are few tunes in this game that are not classics in gaming. The entire musical score of this game will forever live on as the greatest in gaming history. Each world's song is catchy and you'll find yourself sometimes humming the tunes. The tunes are recycled throughout the game but if you are a fan of gaming you've probably already heard these songs millions of times and never got sick and tired of them. The sound effects are again, classics. The sound effect of Mario's death is one that you always remember as a gamer. Even hopping on enemies, you hear a classic sound effect. Then the music in the castle levels you'll always recognize. It was special music because you made it to a special place. The music in those castles make your heart pound while it fills you with a sense of pride for getting to this point. Then after beating your nemesis, hearing the bridge break and him falling in, makes you smile. All in all, the music and sounds in this game are one of the best in gaming history. You don't and won't forget it.

Gameplay/Controls(10/10)
The gameplay revolves around a simple premise to jump on basically everything to achieve everything in the game. It achieves this simple premise and then some more. The mechanics of running around and jumping on things, and hitting blocks with your head to get a high score, while saving a princess, while on a timer, works, flawlessly. The game responds well to everything you throw at it. It is a simple game to pick up and play and just jump around and try to amass points while trying to get to the flag. The sense of urgency in the game is also an important gameplay factor. You do have a timer to beat to get to the end of the level. While this may not appeal to some gamers, I found this to be an essential part of the game along with the lives. Without these key components the game would be utterly unsatisfying. Also the other main part of this games fun is all the hidden things in it. Whether it be the -1 level or the enormous amounts of free lives hidden throughout the game or finding the locations of the secret warp pipes, part of the game play is geared towards exploration and the thrills one can have on its behalf. The controls in this game are super easy to use and remember. They were very responsive, and they need to be because this is a platform game. It is amazing how complex the control scheme can be on a two button controller, with one button to jump and another to do special moves. This is what games should strive for now in my opinion, complex simplism; To have a complex control layout using as simplistic a design as you can get. All in all, the game's controls are great for this kind of game.

PlayTime/Replayability(10/10)
High. Even though this is an easy game you'll always want to come back for more. Maybe 2 players, which gives you more laugh and fun. It is a game that sucks you back in because it is just so darn fun and gratifying. It truly is an experience to replay a game that is legendary and go through it to see why people still love this game so much.

Overall
Perfect.

Final Recommendation: Buy Or Not Buy?
Buy. This game (for any of you out there that do not have this game) is definitely a must buy for the NES, or VC. You'll never regret it, no matter how long it has been since this game was released.

for reading thesampleman's awesome(or so I think) review of the NES classic, Super Mario Bros.! Please rate and comment on your opinons on his review and the game itself.

- Mario, what a name!

- Next Review: Excite Truck(Wii)

This review was written by thesampleman and can be found here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/review/R110501.html
Published by
Enter Sandman
Saru786 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to Saru786 Send a message via Yahoo to Saru786
Sponsored Links
By SegaSlayer33 on 01-31-2009, 09:12 PM
tbh, its been overrated
By Saru786 on 01-31-2009, 09:37 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 100%
Nope. Actually, many people underrate it ever since SBM3 came out. 0_o
By da Beef on 02-02-2009, 12:57 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
70%70%70%
Storyline
50%50%50%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 80%
i actually agree with you that the amazingness of this game gets kind of forgotten in the wake of SMB3. i think 3 is the better game, but it obviously comes no where near the level of innovation and impact of the original. it set so many standards and precedents it's unbelievable, and these are standards that still exist today.

it is, quite simply, a masterpiece.
Last edited by da Beef; 02-02-2009 at 04:08 PM..
By Siberianhusky89 on 02-02-2009, 01:01 AM
I don't completely agree with the review on this game, it seems like people are too easy on games nowadays. If I was to write a review, I'd give a harsher more truthful reality of the game. But still, I can't disagree that this game was amazing and was one of the best, especially for NES. Also, Super Mario Bros. really isn't that much overshadowed by Super Mario Bros. 3.
By da Beef on 02-02-2009, 01:20 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
70%70%70%
Storyline
50%50%50%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 80%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky89 View Post
I don't completely agree with the review on this game, it seems like people are too easy on games nowadays. If I was to write a review, I'd give a harsher more truthful reality of the game. But still, I can't disagree that this game was amazing and was one of the best, especially for NES. Also, Super Mario Bros. really isn't that much overshadowed by Super Mario Bros. 3.
i think you're absolutely right about people being too easy on games today, especially when nostalgia is a factor. but this game is the almost single handed reason any of us are even playing games in the first place. yeah thats hyperbolic, but come on.
Last edited by da Beef; 02-02-2009 at 04:10 PM..
By Saru786 on 02-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 100%
I'm never nostalgic. I give my honest opinion about the games I review, and I knew someone would say this. There is no going easy or hard on games, it's just what you think from your point of view. This is what I thought, and that's what you think.

By the way, I really think that SMB3 really made this game look boring to most retro gamers and in general, gamers. My friend is a huge retro gamer and when I talk to him about SMB1 & 3...he goes crazy on how 3 is way better than 1. Not just him, a lot of people have said it. It just gave me a thought that people have forgotten the thing that SMB1 gave people. The fun and joy and shocking moments that gamers want, because of SMB3.

Lastly, don't think I'm hating on 3. It was a very fun and joyful game, I'm just stating my thought on this.
Last edited by Saru786; 02-02-2009 at 06:55 PM..
By Siberianhusky89 on 02-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saru786 View Post
I'm never nostalgic. I give my honest opinion about the games I review, and I knew someone would say this. There is no going easy or hard on games, it's just what you think from your point of view. This is what I thought, and that's what you think.

By the way, I really think that SMB3 really made this game look boring to most retro gamers and in general, gamers. My friend is a huge retro gamer and when I talk to him about SMB1 & 3...he goes crazy on how 3 is way better than 1. Not just him, a lot of people have said it. It just gave me a thought that people have forgotten the thing that SMB1 gave people. The fun and joy and shocking moments that gamers want, because of SMB3.

Lastly, don't think I'm hating on 3. It was a very fun and joyful game, I'm just stating my thought on this.
Trust me, there is being too easy on video games. I'm not referring to you by the way, I think you were just giving what you really think of the game and not just saying it because of illogical fanboy factors.

Example: I've seen at least 9 reviews on each site where Earthbound would get a 10/10 or a 5/5. Graphics: 10, Storyline: 10, Sound: 10, Gameplay: 10, Ect...: 10, They want to see a 10 on graphics for SNES? Look at Treasure Hunter G, the gameplay was a bit bland in the game, storyline wasn't mentioned very much, I could go on about negative things of the game that people would deny and such and exaggerate. Anyhow, Earthbound is one of my favorite RPGs, and unlike those fanboys, I respect it and am truthful about the game giving the good details and bad details, those fanboys don't have any respect for the game at all...

Anyhow, I still think people do go easy on games when they review them. Still, if it's what you really believe, I can't say much, plus, the game is great.
By Saru786 on 02-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 100%
Fanboys. I hate them and I ain't no fanboy, and I know your not referring to me. Just to let you know, I rated it a 10 for graphics on the NES. If people were to compare the graphics for this game and modern games, heck, this game's graphics would get a big fat 0. Even though some people don't do it, there still is a majority of them that do compare it. Which really pisses me off that people speak lies about games in there reviews. >_>
By da Beef on 02-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
70%70%70%
Storyline
50%50%50%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 80%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saru786 View Post
Fanboys. I hate them and I ain't no fanboy, and I know your not referring to me. Just to let you know, I rated it a 10 for graphics on the NES. If people were to compare the graphics for this game and modern games, heck, this game's graphics would get a big fat 0. Even though some people don't do it, there still is a majority of them that do compare it. Which really pisses me off that people speak lies about games in there reviews. >_>
i gave it a 7 for graphics on NES. the levels were colorful and characters and enemies were nice and detailed, but there are much better looking games on the NES.
Comment