Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!(GC) - Review
Vexx17
Published by Saru786
01-23-2009
Author review
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
10%10%10%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 76%

This is Vexx17's review on a great Gamecube title, Mario Kartouble Dash!! I hopes you think this review is a Dash!

Introduction
The best known racing game, Super Mario Kart, lives on to Mario Kart: Double Dash!! One of the best multiplayer games not just on the Gamecube, but on any console. Nintendo hasn't let us down yet, and they sure haven't for this game. This game is worth every penny for every second you race. This is definitely a must-have title for Gamecube.

Storyline(1/10)
This game doesn't have a storyline of course, but you do get to see flashbacks to Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine. The story is basically this, the gang gathered together to decide who was the best racer!!!! Don't mind me giving it a 1.0. It's not affecting the game, anyway, anyhow.

Graphics(10/10)
The power of the Gamecube shown, just like in Super Mario Sunshine. The characters have a million different actions to do. Drive, taunt, hold items, lay items, hang off the back of the car, etc. And each one shows the perspective of the character in a crisp, clear way. Sure this game may not have as good graphics as other Gamecube titles, but they fit this game perfectly. But characters and items are not 2D graphical like they were in Mario Kart 64, they are very detailed.

Really awesome for a GC game!

Music/Sound(10/10)
Once again, ya gotta hand it to Nintendo to give you amazing racing sounds. With 20 playable characters, each one has a list of sounds bringing that character to life. Whether it's just Donkey Kong's grunting or Mario's catch-phrases. And items! Items fit perfectly too, whether you just shot someone's brain out or you just slipped on a banana. Even the tumbling of the karts deliver great sounds. Background music is fabulous, you will hear music similar to Mario Kart 64's music and some entirely new music, some familiar from previous Nintendo releases. And when you cross the finish line you know you're playing a Mario Kart game by the sound of music, happy music for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, and sad music from 4th and on.

Gameplay/Controls(9.5/10)
What can you say on a game like this? Just sit there and have a heck load of fun! This game's gameplay is off the charts! Many of the characters we grew up with, Mario Kart 64 style, we've awaited a sequel for, and internet gameplay?! These all add up to one thing, this game is magnificent. The Battle mode courses are not as large or as easy as Mario Kart 64's, but that still doesn't hold this game back from being better. The races are better, the grand prix's take longer (and you earn more from them), and there are a bunch of new items (like Chain Chomp and Hearts) and characters. (Like Toadette and Baby Luigi) The one thing you might get frustrated at is having bad luck. This game is half luck and half gaming, but the half gaming is sure a great gaming experience. The cars are very creative, a Yoshi car, a Bowser car, a Donkey Kong car, etc. Plus there are new features like stealing items and balloons and 3 types of battle modes. In one you play the original balloon way, in another you try to steal the shine sprite before the timer hits 0, and the other one you can use only bombs, which can be a challenge. There are also many things to earn in this game, racers, tracks, battle courses, and cars. Graphics don't make up a game, but gameplay does, and this game has excellent gameplay. Controls are amazing like in any Mario Kart game, easy steering, easy sharp turning, easy weapon use. You will have to learn the courses to learn where to drift, where to brake, where to lay items, etc. You must be very quick to shoot but race at the same time, but with these great controls it's all that easy. On co-op you will have to practice how to interact with your partner. The only reason I give it a 9 instead of a 10 is when two are in a cart, it can be hard to fire weapons straight, switch to driving when you want, etc. But besides that, A+!

PlayTime/Replayability(10/10)
One of the greatest things about this game, you can play around with different characters, challenge your friends to the 3 types of battles, try to master being in the same kart as someone else, and internet play, the possibilities go on and on. Xbox and PS2 have had their turn for great internet play, now it's Gamecube's turn. You can be a young gamer or an old gamer, a new gamer or an experienced gamer, and you will totally love this game, you can play it with your whole family.

Overall
This game is one of the best releases on the Gamecube, many gamers treasure this, so why don't you? Go buy it!!! This game will give you a lots o' laughs and fun at the same time.

Final Recommendation: Buy Or Not Buy?
Buy. Double Dash to the store if you don't have it! Even if you have MKW, your Mario Kart series is just not complete with this great Mario Kart game.

for reading this review of Vexx17's! Please, leave comments on your opinion of this review, and this game!

- is GREEEEAT!

- Next Review: Excite Truck(Wii)

This review was written by Vexx17 and the original can be found here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/game...ew/R64757.html
Published by
Enter Sandman
Saru786 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to Saru786 Send a message via Yahoo to Saru786
Sponsored Links
By Mario on 01-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Nice Review....
By Kansaibou on 01-27-2009, 09:10 PM
LOL.. the storyline.. XD

but yeah.. i would agree... a lot of people flame this game for some reason... pssh.. better than mario kart wii...

hell... MKDD's graphics are actually BETTER than MKwii's... lol how the shit does THAT work?? XD
By Saru786 on 01-27-2009, 10:52 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
10%10%10%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 76%
^Exact my point in this review. I don't really see how MKW is better than this game.
By SeanMi on 01-28-2009, 01:51 AM
totaly agree with you guys. MKDD is so much Fun!. I played the heck out of that game. MKWii sucks so much. I played it for like 7 hours.

Nice review.
By Konata on 01-28-2009, 11:50 AM
We just need a wii remake of this with online and we'll have the best mario kart ever..
By Saru786 on 01-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
10%10%10%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 76%
That still makes me wonder why they didn't have two people on a Kart in MKWii.
By op89x on 04-11-2009, 02:57 AM
Original post edited.
By felixpepper on 04-20-2009, 04:56 AM
I've never played the game unfortunately, I'm waiting like a crazed lunatic!
By Superness26 on 08-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
15%15%15%
Controls/Gameplay
90%90%90%
Sound
90%90%90%
Average 71%
Sm Mario

When this game came out and I got it, I played it non-stop.
Comment