Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Media Entertainment > Music Reviews

Notices

Music Reviews Post your Music reviews here.

Closed Review

Review Tools
Pixies - Doolittle
Pixies - Doolittle
Published by Ender
01-30-2009
Author review
Rate the Music
100%100%100%
Average 100%
Star Man Pixies - Doolittle

There are bands.

There are great bands.

And then there are the f*cking Pixies.

It's hard to convey how influential this band, and more specifically their second album, Doolittle, changed the face of rock music. It debuted in 1989 and pretty much paved the way for bands like Nirvana and Pavement, both of which have said they were deeply inspired by the Pixies.

Strange at first (they have a kind of grunge rock meets surfer/beach metal thing going on, with steel guitars) this entire album is solid gold, with spot on lyrics, catchy riffs, and lead singer Frank Black's awesome voice, there is not one song on the entire CD that I don't like. Here's a break down...

1. Debaser - starts off the album with a kick, some weird imagery (Got me a movie, oh hohohoho, slicin' up eyeballs, oh hohoho) and that signature steel guitar
2. Tame - a strange, brutal song about a girl...love the lyrics (talkin' sweet about nothin', cookie I think you're TAME!!)
3. Wave of Mutilation - not the strongest song on the album, maybe because it's a little slower paced...still great though
4. I Bleed - the layered vocal tracks in this one give it a creepy poetry feeling, which somehow compliments the next song
5. Here Comes Your Man - this song has a strange, pop song type feel that doesn't fit the rest, which makes it that much more awesome
6. Dead - probably my favorite track on the album, a strange ode to the biblical story of Bathsheba, has some of the best lyrics on the album
7. Monkey Gone To Heaven - the "title" track, so to speak, or at least the track this CD is most well known for. Amazing lyrics, imagery, and a great little story
8. Mr. Grieves - the most 'sing-alongable' track, and one of my favorites (Got bombed, got frozen; got finally off to finally dozin'; I believe...in Mr. Grieves) Download this if you get a chance.
9. Crackity Jones - A short, fast paced song with a bit of Spanish thrown in (like a few of their other songs) this one is opposite yet just as awesome as track 8
10. La La Love You - Another pop-py song, but with a hook that doesn't sound sappy, even though you know it is
11. No. 13 Baby - another weird abstract song about a girl with great imagery (Got hair in a girl that flows to her bones, and a comb in her pocket if the winds get blown)
12. There Goes My Gun - very similar in sound and theme to Here Comes Your Man, fits well at the opposite end of the CD
13. Hey - the simplest song on the CD, yet one of my favorites, mainly because of the stark vocals and minimal guitar
14. Silver
15. Gouge Away

Anyway, all being said, you should go buy this CD if you can answer yes to any of the following:

-I like grunge/rock/alternative music
-I would like to expand my horizons and hear something new
-I would like to hear something that inspired other great bands, instead of bands that are inspired by great f'n bands like the Pixies
- I like good f*cking music
-I like Pop-Tarts. Especially the purple and blue ones.

This was a phenomenal album, and after years of owning it, it still places in my top 10 greatest albums of all time. It is a classic. Own it. Please.

Til next time Rock Stars,
Same Bat-time, Same Bat-channel,

Ender
Sponsored Links
By Konata on 01-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Never actually listened to any of these but nice review, gonna check out some of their songs now..
By Skreamo on 01-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Surprisingly, I've never heard of them. I'm not into Grunge, but I guess they're worth a listen. Awesome review Ender
By da Beef on 02-02-2009, 07:51 AM
so awesome.

did you know that even Thom Yorke cites them as a huge influence?
By Ender on 02-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da Beef View Post
so awesome.

did you know that even Thom Yorke cites them as a huge influence?
Actually I didn't...but it's funny you mention Thom Yorke. I was actually going to review his CD The Eraser first...
By da Beef on 02-02-2009, 08:51 AM
oh cool i would love to read your review. that was an interesting album with a couple of really great tracks.
By rzrmayur on 08-27-2009, 09:56 AM
even i love it ...kewl
Closed Review