Nintendo Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Other Reviews

Notices

Other Reviews Playstation, Xbox, PC, or any other console game Review. Also console reviews too

Comment

Review Tools
Jak 3(PS2) - Review
Jak 3(PS2) - Review
EdS25
Published by Saru786
01-31-2009
Author review
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 99%
Talking Jak 3(PS2) - Review

Welcome to EdS25's review of the great PS2 game, Jak 3. I hopes you likes it a lots!

Introduction

Let me get straight to the point: I loved every minute of this game. I loved the new wasteland environment with its host of new characters and dune buggy driving missions. I loved the cutscenes featuring humor, drama, amazing voice work and even more amazing animation that brings the characters to life. I loved the pacing, bouncing from mission to mission with such speed I could barely keep up. I loved the plot twists, which bring a satisfying end to not only this game but the entire series. Jak 3 is just an incredible achievement, focusing so many separate gaming and storytelling elements into one hell of an adventure.

Storyline(10/10)

Jak 3 picks up moments after Jak 2 left off, with our heroes (as well as Pecker - the manic-hispanic half-parrot half monkey) being banished to the wasteland. It isn't long before they are picked up by a crew of wastelanders and the new adventures begin.

Throughout the game, Jak will also encounter various characters and locations from Jak 2. These scenes/levels do not feel as fresh as those in the brand new wasteland, but they all service the overall story well enough to forgive this minor complaint.

Jak 3 has a few big twists. All I will say about them is that I think Naughty Dog made them a little too predictable by foreshadowing them a couple times during the game. Those paying attention won't be overly surprised by the ending, but it's highly rewarding (and quite funny) nonetheless.

Gameplay/Controls(10/10)

I was thrilled with the variety of gameplay that Jak 3 offered. Considering Jak is a "platformer", many of the missions are vehicular, such as mad races through the desert to pick up artifacts before rival tribes can scoop them up. There are quite a few other races (whether in vehicles or riding strange beasts), run n' gun missions, on-rails shooting, even a wakka-wakka PacMan level. Hell, if I remember right I think there may have been some actual "platforming" in there somewhere.

In the desert wasteland, Jak will often have several different dune buggies to choose from. They all control fairly smooth, but there was one in particular that I had a blast driving. The Dune Hopper (as you might guess from the name), features a superior jumping ability that you charge by holding L1, then release to fly hundred feet through the air. To reach a few distant spots in the wasteland, you must use this ability to jump between several different islands. In the hands of a lesser developer, this could have been a frustrating disaster (as landing in the water = instant death.) But here it is pure joy, as you confidently put your foot on the gas, charge your jump, and soar to each island, landing perfectly every time. It must have taken a lot of testing/tweaking to make this feel so natural. Or maybe, just maybe, I'm just THAT DAMN GOOD! Ahem. No, it was probably the testing.

To spice up the run n' gun missions, Jak's arsenal has ballooned up to 12 total weapons. Surprisingly, they are all pretty useful, but my favorite was the Beam Reflector. This is a projectile shot, which will ricochet around a room quite a few times before dying out. It has an uncanny knack for zeroing in on unfortunate enemies, hitting them (or their cohorts) multiple times. This weapon ended up being so much fun to use I pretty much stuck with it for the whole game.

Yes, Jak is still a "platformer." There are still enjoyable segments where he has to "jump" on moving "platforms" and "jump off" before they "crumble." Those who were expecting an emphasis on this type of gameplay might be a little disappointed. But Jak encompasses so many other styles of play, and does them so well, that to call it "just a platformer" seems inaccurate and unfair.

Graphics(10/10)

As to be expected, Jak looks fantastic. The art direction is incredible, and it runs at a smooth framerate throughout. While I thought much of this adventure would take place in the desert, there is actually quite a bit of variety. A few of the bigger city environments are recycled from Jak 2, but in a way this is effective because they have been ravaged by war, providing a stark contrast to their appearance from the previous game.
I especially liked the Terraformer (a.k.a. huge walking spider) near the end of the game. Striding through the desert taking football-field sized steps, it's all you can do to keep up with it, much less kill it. One of many jaw-dropping moments in the game for me.

The animation in the game is incredible. All of the creatures and robots walk, run, jump and fly with a feature-quality nuance. The cutscenes take this to another level. Compare this to a game like Grand Theft Auto. In GTA, yes, the voice acting is great. Yes, there are a lot of cutscenes. But the lip synching is of the "ventriloquist dummy open or closed mouth" variety, and the most you will get out of the body language is some awkward arm movements.

In Jak 3, the time has been spent to choreograph the mouth, the eyes, the eyebrows, the body language (right down to the fingers) to match the voice performance. If the villain wasn't wearing boots, I'll bet you could even see his toes curl at the appropriate moments. I suspected that this would take an enormous amount of time and effort, which was confirmed by a neat feature in the game where you can listen to the animator's commentary for many of the cutscenes. It's amazing how so many little things go into each scene to make it work.

You will be like when you see it!

Music/Sound(9.5/10)

As mentioned a couple hundred times already, I loved the voice acting. Particularly Daxter, who continues to be really funny, and always get the last word in, but somehow doesn't cross into "annoying." His scream when a statue made in his likeness is beheaded via missile is absolutely priceless. The sound effects seem to have been jazzed up a bit for Jak 3, in particular with the weapons and dune buggies in the wasteland. However, the music continues to be a little lacking, but still great!

Overall/Replayabillity/PlayTime(10/10)

Jak 3 was a blast to play from start to finish. It's a little shorter than Jak 2, but I think has just as much or more to see and do. Jak 2 boasted a few more hours on the game clock, but I think a lot of this was spent travelling between missions. Jak 3's breakneck pacing doesn't have time for such nonsense, propelling you to the next mission in a "play for 10 hours straight to see what's next" kind of way.

Final Recommendation: Buy Or Not Buy?
Buy. Your Jak series is not complete without this game, so if you want the best game in the series and make it complete, GET THIS GAME!!!

for reading EdS25's review. Please feel free to comment your opinion on EdS25's review and this game.

- to you NaughtyDog for making a great improvement on a great series!

- Next Review: NOT SURE ATM!!!

This review was written by EdS25 and the original can be found here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/review/R81141.html
Sponsored Links
By da Beef on 02-02-2009, 12:11 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
75%75%75%
Controls/Gameplay
70%70%70%
Sound
70%70%70%
Average 76%
wow i enjoyed this game but 10s for everything? sorry but i don't see it. Jak 3 was inferior to Jak II in every single way. the wasteland was a missed opportunity, the story wasn't as involving, the gameplay was just more of the same ...

i do totally agree with you though about the presentation of this game. Naughty Dog has amazing production values. their cutscenes are some of the best in all of gaming, exemplified by the great art direction, character designs, and voice acting as you said.

you wrote a good review, but it seems like you're avoiding really glaring issues. maybe it's just me though lol
Last edited by da Beef; 02-03-2009 at 02:36 AM..
By Saru786 on 02-02-2009, 12:40 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 99%
Well, it's just me. We all have different opinions, don't we?

I really see the storyline evolving in to more sense than in Jak 2. I mean, if you try to think over the story of Jak 2...you will get confused from the start. Jak 3 explains almost everything there is to know that they don't tell you in Jak 2, which they should have. The gameplay has changed, new guns, driving in cars in a wasteland, riding animals, and controlling Dexter. The contorls haven't changed, much. But, the fact that you got all these new things in the gameplay, kinda overshadows that. And...how they gonna change the contorls in general? It's gonna be the same because you got the smae controller, but they got new moves. There is more to the gameplay, just can't remember. Jak 3 improved on everything Jak 2 falied on, and it falied on a lot of things.

The Wasteland...amazing. Who would have thought of it. I thought in Jak 3 kinda before it came out, I was gonna be in the boring and crowded city of Haven. But, you gots a whole new Wasteland to explore, and most of the taskes are being done or are based in and on the Wasteland. Not just that, a little more new areas that I'm not bother talking on.

So you see, I really think that this game gave me something that wanted make me play it over and over. That's where replayability and a little bit of playtime come in. But, I think I should change the sound/music to a 9.5. The music hasn't improved too much.
Last edited by Saru786; 02-02-2009 at 07:11 PM..
By Xenon on 03-22-2009, 12:07 AM
I wrote a review on this game too, Saru, but it obviously didn't make the cut. Ah, well, yours was excellent. I just would've given the sound 10 as well.
By Saru786 on 03-22-2009, 12:36 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 99%
Yea, thanks. The sound for the music was just....meh, but not too big of a problem.
By SirManguydude on 03-22-2009, 01:47 AM
I like this game, but I think the series deminished after the first one. I mean common a platformer with guns? Doesn't make sense at all, I felt like they were trying to bundle as much as possible into one game, and ripping straight from other games along the way.
By Saru786 on 03-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 99%
I don't think they were ripping more then they were just adding. I actually thought the idea of adding guns into the game(well more guns) was a good idea. A lot of people loved the guns in Jak II so I think they made a smart move.

Fighting off the Metal Heads and Guards is a pain without guns, that's how I see it atleast.
By op89x on 04-11-2009, 01:30 AM
Original post edited.
By SuperSmashBros256 on 07-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
95%95%95%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
80%80%80%
Average 91%
Cool

Great game! I remember borrowing this from my friend Gage (i borrowed his PS2 as well xD)
Comment