Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > General Chat > Debate Forum

Notices

Debate Forum This is the Debate forum engage in serious debates here.

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #1
Ender
Don't mess wif him
Points: 3,031, Level: 33 Points: 3,031, Level: 33 Points: 3,031, Level: 33
User owns 1x Cucoo User owns 1x Tanooki Suit

My Mood: Nerdy
Ender is a jewel in the roughEnder is a jewel in the roughEnder is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF 1st Annual Award NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 2

Xbox Live Gamertag: batmanbirdboy
Exclamation Creating Better Humans

So this is an issue that has been on my mind lately (and one that I am slowly but surely developing into a story for a comic book...) and a recent article influenced me to do this thread: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/scienceh...darwingenetics

This idea of parents being able to pick the genetic traits of their children is incredibly intriguing to me. What do you think? Is it ethically acceptable? Would you do it for your kid? Why is it or isn't it okay?

Now, after you answer that question, ponder this one...

Another article I read about a year ago, said that scientists were able to take the genetic marker from a jellyfish, the marker that makes jellyfish glow, and inserted it into fetal mice, producing glow in the dark mice.

What if this is the next step in human evolution. Being able to pick genetic traits from other species and implanting them into our children?

What do you think about this?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
Princess Elle
Nintendo King/Queen
Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83

My Mood: Angelic
Princess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Yoshi Sheriff Medic Princess Award Poster NFF Promoter 
Total Awards: 8

Send a message via ICQ to Princess Elle Send a message via AIM to Princess Elle Send a message via MSN to Princess Elle Send a message via Yahoo to Princess Elle Send a message via Skype™ to Princess Elle PSN ID: ElleFan98 Xbox Live Gamertag: Willgetonesoon
I don't think that would be a good idea. Like I said on NW, Imagine all the side effects, and how bad it would be for the kid, and if we use animal genes then like what, make a human fly with bird parts, or make it be able to climb on walls with gecko? I think that if you don't what your kid to be how they are meant to be, then don't have one.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
op89x
Not on the review team
Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Water Element

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 

I see some good and bad to this. On one hand, I see that it could be great in preventing certain genetic disorders. On the other hand, this would effectively destroy natural evolution.

All in all, I'd have to say I'm against it as a whole. I'm pro-evolution.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
Ender
Don't mess wif him

Ender is a jewel in the roughEnder is a jewel in the roughEnder is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase

But should there be limits to what could be done with this?

What if we were able to isolate any genetic diseases?

No more predispositions to cancer, heart disease, diabetes, even poor vision.

A world where we don't need to wear glasses.

That would be "against evolution", but would that be so bad? Haven't we already cured diseases that would have otherwise killed many of us, like polio? We've evolved to a point where we can control our own evolution.

Couldn't this be considered a natural evolution in itself?

As far as 'designer babies', as the article talks about, what do you think of parents being able to pick their kid's eye color? Hair color?
Skin color?

Is it so wrong for a parent to pick out the best traits for their children, making them smart, or fast, or getting rid of mental illnesses?

Isn't a smarter population in the best interests of the world?

As far as anyone who responds to this, I'd like to hear you say more than you 'just don't think it's right'. I understand the idea is a little unnerving, but why?

Think of the possibilities.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
op89x
Not on the review team
Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Water Element

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 

Well, the possibilities scare me. People will misinterpret what I say next, but:

I love diseases. I love AIDS, cancer, etc. And before anyone asks, yes, I've personally know people who have died from or who currently suffer from these diseases. However, truth be told, they keep the population in check. Horrible thing to say, some people will argue, but it's true. If the quality of life keeps rising, people will live longer, resources will deplete faster, and then things will rapidly get very bad for everyone.

Not that I'm against World War 3 or anything, but as of now, I'd much rather see researchers invest in space exploration and what not. Leave the genetic perfection to time.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:17 AM   #6
Princess Elle
Nintendo King/Queen
Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83

My Mood: Angelic
Princess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Yoshi Sheriff Medic Princess Award Poster NFF Promoter 
Total Awards: 8

Send a message via ICQ to Princess Elle Send a message via AIM to Princess Elle Send a message via MSN to Princess Elle Send a message via Yahoo to Princess Elle Send a message via Skype™ to Princess Elle PSN ID: ElleFan98 Xbox Live Gamertag: Willgetonesoon
Well being able to make kids smart and stuff would be good, but people would probably try to make their kid a genious and run super fast causing problems for the kid, but I do think that getting rid of bad eye sight and mental disorders would be useful.
Sometimes we fall...so
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus and live!
- Untitled Hymn (Come To Jesus) -
-Chris Rice-
Old 02-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #7
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 37,657, Level: 100 Points: 37,657, Level: 100 Points: 37,657, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

Ah yeah, we've done this in biology. They also put human ear dna thingy into a mouse, and it had a fully grown human ear on its back.

To be honest it would be pretty cool to be able to practically choose what your kid would look like, but then it wouldn't really be yours, because it would have other DNA in it.

I wouldn't want to give it extra skills though, everyones unique and is born with their own, and it should stay like that, we don't want everyone in the world being smart, because then higher paid jobs would become less in demand, and when jobs are less in demand, the pay gets lower (did it in business studies).

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Old 02-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
Skullz
Points: 8,587, Level: 62 Points: 8,587, Level: 62 Points: 8,587, Level: 62
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet

Skullz has a spectacular aura aboutSkullz has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

I'm all for curing diseases and bad eye sight but as for the enhancing physical capabilities or changing the babies eye color and what not? Nah.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #9
Ender
Don't mess wif him

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by op89x View Post
Well, the possibilities scare me. People will misinterpret what I say next, but:

I love diseases. I love AIDS, cancer, etc. And before anyone asks, yes, I've personally know people who have died from or who currently suffer from these diseases. However, truth be told, they keep the population in check. Horrible thing to say, some people will argue, but it's true. If the quality of life keeps rising, people will live longer, resources will deplete faster, and then things will rapidly get very bad for everyone.

Not that I'm against World War 3 or anything, but as of now, I'd much rather see researchers invest in space exploration and what not. Leave the genetic perfection to time.
I understand what you're saying.
But I don't think the change will be that drastic.
The way I see it is if we get rid of genetic disorders (not necessarily AIDS, but stuff like Down's Syndrome, cerebral palsy, diabetes, and more) that it won't stop everyone from dying.
You have to figure that there'd be a whole generation or two of people (you and me included) that did not get such treatment...and we're still gonna die at a normal rate.
I think that if we were able to make kids smarter, more creative, whatever, that THEY could be the ones to solve the overpopulation problem that would inevitably come.
Building our cities upward would be one solution. Making crops more efficient, or maybe even making kids that don't have to eat as much (maybe that's a genetic trait we can pull out of, I don't know, snakes or something...just eat once every few months)
A more intelligent generation could advance the space program, and we could have people live on the space station, or even on a terraformed Mars or the Moon.
Obviously these things are at least a hundred years off or more, but look what we've accomplished in the last hundred years.
Hell, the last thirty.
I think it could be done.

AND, I also think that the smarter the person is, the less inclined they are to have children. So maybe there will be a population decrease if people are just content to have maybe one kid, and the smarties invent male birth control or something.
Not so ridiculous of a premise, methinks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Fanning View Post
Well being able to make kids smart and stuff would be good, but people would probably try to make their kid a genious and run super fast causing problems for the kid, but I do think that getting rid of bad eye sight and mental disorders would be useful.
Why would genius kids who run very fast have problems?

And I'm not talking about problems with their genetic alterations.
For this sci-fi premise we have to at least assume that scientists could do these things with little or no danger for the child. Otherwise, the question is really moot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryn1030 View Post
Ah yeah, we've done this in biology. They also put human ear dna thingy into a mouse, and it had a fully grown human ear on its back.

To be honest it would be pretty cool to be able to practically choose what your kid would look like, but then it wouldn't really be yours, because it would have other DNA in it.

I wouldn't want to give it extra skills though, everyones unique and is born with their own, and it should stay like that, we don't want everyone in the world being smart, because then higher paid jobs would become less in demand, and when jobs are less in demand, the pay gets lower (did it in business studies).
Not necessarily.
What if you are a redhead, and your husband has very dark hair?
Chances are that your husband's dark hair is going to be genetically dominant, as are his dark eyes.
If you could change the eye and hair color of the fetus to match yours (as you and your husband have agreed on) is there anything wrong with that?

And as far as special skills and jobs, I think that the rest of the population that hasn't been altered would work the "unskilled" jobs, and then when they die, the smart ones could invent robots to do them, as we've done with the auto industry, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull Kid View Post
I'm all for curing diseases and bad eye sight but as for the enhancing physical capabilities or changing the babies eye color and what not? Nah.
Why?
People wear colored eye contacts. People get plastic surgery, sometimes on their newborn infants (circumcisions, cleft pallet repair, etc.)
What's 'wrong' with it?
Old 02-09-2009, 04:49 PM   #10
SirManguydude
LoZ Expert
Points: 11,149, Level: 69 Points: 11,149, Level: 69 Points: 11,149, Level: 69
User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Earth Element User owns 1x Mirror Shield User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Fire Element User owns 1x Master Sword
User owns 1x Heart Tank User owns 1x Z-Saber User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Black Belt

My Mood: Lonely
SirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award NFF 3rd Annual Award Royalty Super Member Good Grammar Award Yoshi Signature of the Month Banner of the Month 
Total Awards: 12

MWAHAHA we are one step closer to making SUPER SOLDIERS!

A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit.

Closed Thread