Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo DS Reviews

Notices

Nintendo DS Reviews Section for all Nintendo DS and DSI Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl(DS) - Review
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl(DS) - Review
aoc
Published by Saru786
02-21-2009
Author review
Graphics
15%15%15%
Storyline
10%10%10%
Controls/Gameplay
35%35%35%
Sound
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Pikachu Pokemon Diamond/Pearl(DS) - Review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRpW3YFRLk0 - Gameplay from the game to watch after/before you read this review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mv8A...eature=channel - Music from the game while you read this review.

Hello and welcome gamers, to aoc's review of both games, Pokemon Diamond & Pearl, I hopes you likes it a lots!

Intro

So, the Pokemon franchise has hit the Nintendo DS, this opens many new possibilities, interactivity with Pokemon. Do the new Pokemon games on the DS utilize these in anyway at all? Sadly, no.

Storyline
What can I say, it's a complete duplicate of the previous games. Everything is pretty much the same with new names. An evil corporation of Pokemon trainers are doing something bad, and you have to fight them throughout the game, collect gym badges and fight a rival. Sorry, no new twists, nothing interesting, nothing original. What more can I say?
This section of the game gets a 1/10.

Gameplay/Controls
The gameplay has changed very little since the last Pokemon games on the GBA, it's the usual run around collecting gym badges and running into random trainers and so on. But wait, there's another few 100 more Pokemon, sadly they are just unimaginative "fillers", things which monsters that are just put in to make the game seem bigger. Many new Pokemon are just less evolved versions with their arms, legs and names shortened. Mime now has a Mime Jr.

There's very little difference from the previous games in terms of playability, you'd think with an extra screen, a touch screen and a microphone you'd get something new. But no. Battles now have a second long delay between every single move/action, and the Pokemon look slightly different. You can just keep hitting the same button to attack, do this 10,000 times and the game is over.

How they managed to do the controls, I don't know, did anyone at Nintendo even tell the developers that the lower screen on the DS was a touch-screen? Seriously, you don't once need to pick up the stylus through the entire game, what a waste. If that wasn't bad enough, the bottom screen is only used for showing big buttons which could have easily been squashed onto the top screen like the previous games. Oh and the "Poketech", a bunch of trivial things such as step counter and clock, so meaningless and useless you'd think they only put it in to fill up the memory card.
This section of the game gets a 3.5/10.

Graphics

We can see down the side of walls and cliffs now, what an update. And yes we are still stuck in birds eye view the entire game, despite being on the DS. I didn't notice any other improvements to the graphics, none at all.
This section of the game gets a 1.5/10.

What's New? Nothing. -.-"

Sound/Music

The sound has been polished up a bit, but it's mostly the same sounding tunes. Nothing very different from the previous games. Many players will recognize the old music tracks juiced up a bit, but apart from that, the sound and music has changed very little.
This section of the game gets a 2/10.

What's new?

Wi-Fi is the only new thing here, but the problem is that it's full of hacked Pokemon and people trying to trade level 5 Pokemon with level 100's. Right.... This could have been something quite amazing, but the lack of security and moderation means 90% of Pokemon traded are hacked. So good luck finding someone without hacked Pokemon to battle or trade. Apart from the new Pokemon there is nothing else worth mentioning which is new.
This section of the game gets a 2/10.

Overall

This should have been on the GBA, the touch screen is never used, nor is the microphone or the dual screens in anyway useful at all. I managed to play halfway through the game before I fell asleep.

How could a "new" Pokemon game contain so few new features? I have no idea. If you've played the previous Pokemon games, you will feel like you are replaying the same game all over again, if you haven't by all means give it a go. Otherwise prepare to be shocked. Pokemon Emerald was a box of chocolates, Diamond and Pearl are the same chocolates packed into a shinier box, but now they are starting to taste old, sour, and outdated.

Final Recommendation: Buy or Not Buy?
Don't buy. If you have any older Pokemon games, play those, they are the same, only different Pokemon, different region, different characters, and other LITTLE things. If you have never played any Pokemon games, ever, than you can buy this game without being too disappointed, but you won't be too happy either. Oh, and a little heads up for Platinum, it will be almost the same as this game, trust me, don't buy it.

for reading aoc's review, please feel free to post your opinion about this review, and the game itself.

- Seriously, Nintendo, what is new for Pokemon?

- Next Review: Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories(GBA)

This review was written by aoc and the original can be found here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/review/R129336.html

Published by
Enter Sandman
Saru786 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to Saru786 Send a message via Yahoo to Saru786
Sponsored Links
By SirManguydude on 02-22-2009, 01:48 AM
I strongly disagree, but good review nonetheless.
By Saru786 on 02-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
15%15%15%
Storyline
10%10%10%
Controls/Gameplay
35%35%35%
Sound
20%20%20%
Average 20%
^ I saw your review, only reason I did mine own. I read it, and it was good, but most of things said in your review I disagree aswell, but it was good.
By Kansaibou on 02-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
75%75%75%
Storyline
60%60%60%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
90%90%90%
Average 81%
Well.. i do, as sirmanguydude, strongly disagree... however, i wont bash you~

...I think you did a great job with seperating the sections; the color really helps keep that visual interest that is oh-so-important when reading a long review..

A point of suggestion; perhaps you could use a picture in the title? Or maybe make the youtube videos embedded into the post?

regardless, nice review~.. so far ive liked how youve done yours.. perhaps i can expect to see more? ^^
By Saru786 on 02-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
15%15%15%
Storyline
10%10%10%
Controls/Gameplay
35%35%35%
Sound
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansaibou View Post
Well.. i do, as sirmanguydude, strongly disagree... however, i wont bash you~

...I think you did a great job with seperating the sections; the color really helps keep that visual interest that is oh-so-important when reading a long review..

A point of suggestion; perhaps you could use a picture in the title? Or maybe make the youtube videos embedded into the post?

regardless, nice review~.. so far ive liked how youve done yours.. perhaps i can expect to see more? ^^
Thanks, means a lot! Also, what do you mean picture in the title?

Yea, I will embed it into the next review.

And yes, you will see more. That is why I always my upcoming review in another review to let people know. Don't forget to check it out when I make it!
By Kansaibou on 02-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
75%75%75%
Storyline
60%60%60%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
90%90%90%
Average 81%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saru786 View Post
Thanks, means a lot! Also, what do you mean picture in the title?

Yea, I will embed it into the next review.

And yes, you will see more. That is why I always my upcoming review in another review to let people know. Don't forget to check it out when I make it!
No problem~

.. Well, like.. At the top of the review, post a picture of the logo or something..

ahah, and alright.. XP.. ill be sure to check it out~
By Saru786 on 02-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
15%15%15%
Storyline
10%10%10%
Controls/Gameplay
35%35%35%
Sound
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Yea, but I think the picture next to the title is enough.
By Konata on 02-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Nice review,, although i disagree xD. And at your "Whats new, nothing", it's touch screen, and has different graphics =]
By Saru786 on 02-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
15%15%15%
Storyline
10%10%10%
Controls/Gameplay
35%35%35%
Sound
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryn1030 View Post
Nice review,, although i disagree xD. And at your "Whats new, nothing", it's touch screen, and has different graphics =]
Touch Screen = DS
Not Pokemon. Touch Screen works with all other DS not just Pokemon. Also, I don't think I should put Wi-Fi as new, because it's a function of DS and it doesn't only work with Pokemon Diamond/Pearl. So basically, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl has nothing new, and I feel like I should take out that section. :/

The graphics are not new at all, look just like GBA, espically battle mode. I just gave it a 1.5 for it was updated by a shinny.

Shinny = Not all that much.

Oh, BTW, Thanks!
By SirManguydude on 02-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Umm What is that above post about. Come on if you're going to spam at least make some sense.
Comment