Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Post away about anything in general just remember no content that would fit in other sections.

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
JamestheFreak
Great King of Freaks
Points: 763, Level: 14 Points: 763, Level: 14 Points: 763, Level: 14

My Mood: Amused
JamestheFreak is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to JamestheFreak Send a message via MSN to JamestheFreak
Ceramics

This thread is about Ceramics and for you who don't know it ceramics is a art where you make stuff with clay and i been taking ceramics since my freshman year and i will explain how it gos and show you pictures of some i made.

There's all kinds of projects you can make like masks, coil pots, tea cups, vases, ect and after you fire them in the kiln they become bisque ware where it becomes a pinkish color depending on the clay you fired. and that is when you glaze it and glazing is when you either dip the piece in a bucket of glaze or paint the glaze on. you mainly dip if you are using cone-5 or cone-10 or raku and painting when you use low-fire glaze and oxides, also some glazes turn out different colors aftering firing since if you put something that looks grey on your piece it might be blue but the glazes already say what color they will end up like so dont be surprised if it doesnt look like the color when your painting the glaze on, I'll explain what each glaze is like.

Cone-5: cone-5 is where you dip the project in and you must not get any on the bottom of the piece or it will stick inside the kiln when firing and it becomes glass like after fired and it is food safe so you cane at out of it if you made a cup or cerial bowl and you can cook with it too like in the microwave or oven and can use in the dishwasher. cone-10 is sorta the same but you gotta use a cone-10 clay with it since it's different firing using cone-10, i dont know much about cone-10 yet but i should be food safe too.

Low-fire: low-fire glaze is when you paint on the project and you can get any on the bottom either or it will stick in the kiln. and after firing it gets a bright pretty color and to get that you must put on 2-3 coats of glaze and if you use something called underglaze then you must put a clear glaze on top of it. this glaze is not food safe so dont get any ideas eating out of it.

Oxides: oxides is also when you paint on the glaze but you can paint on the bottom on the piece since it wont stick because it doesnt have the chemicals that do that and oxides is pretty much just a stain on your piece after firing since when you paint it on like you used a black color it will look the same after being fired and with oxides you sorta do a water-painting way when doing it, this is not food safe either.

Raku: raku was originally done in Japan and i believe it is suppose to mean "Realaxing" and they do some kind of tea ceremony there but here we do it differently because this man when he first did raku in America he read the instructions wrong so in his college class he had people do it all differently but for the way he did it our way of raku has it's on unique look. you dip your project in the glaze like cone-5 but dont get any on the bottom and you dont fire this in the kiln but you put it outside in a pit and put big cement bucket on it (i dunno what its called) and after it's time you pull up the bucket and put the projects on some pieces of paper to catch on fire then you put a metal bucket on in to keep the fire in then put a wet towel on it and this firing gos faster then the kiln firing, after it is finished it will have a unique metalic look and the clay on the botton will become black, this is not food safe either.

and now to show the projects i made (i might upload more), and i am entering this ceramic contest with this coil pot i made thats in the raku collection of my pics (be easier if we have the spoiler option)

and one more thing when it is finished i made the Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess Ganon in ceramics and after he is done firing from the glaze firing i will show him

cone-5 collection:
my coil penguin

my tea cup

low-fire collection:
mudkip

mask

Oxide collection:
some Thug guy

Raku collection:
The best coil pot i made

Ect:
this is just some other stuff i made all in one pic

Last edited by JamestheFreak; 02-22-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2009, 03:04 AM   #2
Princess Elle
Nintendo King/Queen
Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83

My Mood: Angelic
Princess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Yoshi Sheriff Medic Princess Award Poster NFF Promoter 
Total Awards: 8

Send a message via ICQ to Princess Elle Send a message via AIM to Princess Elle Send a message via MSN to Princess Elle Send a message via Yahoo to Princess Elle Send a message via Skype™ to Princess Elle PSN ID: ElleFan98 Xbox Live Gamertag: Willgetonesoon
Scary mask!

I have made a ceramic plate!
Sometimes we fall...so
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus and live!
- Untitled Hymn (Come To Jesus) -
-Chris Rice-
Old 03-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
Mike16r
Hidden
Points: 589, Level: 11 Points: 589, Level: 11 Points: 589, Level: 11
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Golden Mushroom User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Nunchuck User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel

My Mood: Spaced
Mike16r We have a Nintendo Fan in the Making

Awards Showcase
Royalty 
Total Awards: 1

I made a ceramic whistle before.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
JamestheFreak
Great King of Freaks

well since i cant find where the edit button is ill just have to post my new ceramics here

Ganon(side)
Spoiler

Ganon(front)
Spoiler

Demon
Spoiler

Octogod
Spoiler

Last edited by Princess Elle; 03-21-2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Added spoilers
Old 03-21-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
SeanMi
Points: 5,973, Level: 50 Points: 5,973, Level: 50 Points: 5,973, Level: 50
User owns 1x Bob-omb User owns 1x Yoshi Egg User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Super Mushroom User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

SeanMi has a spectacular aura aboutSeanMi has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 3

PSN ID: SeanMi-ghty
I took clay design alot in high school. Its one of the better art classes i took.
I usually over glaze and the thing i made sticks to the shelf in the kilm lol.

I made an alien coin bank, a bird house, and multiple other things like coil bowls, boxes, a mask, and whistles
Old 03-21-2009, 08:58 PM   #6
Princess Elle
Nintendo King/Queen
Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83

My Mood: Angelic
Princess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Yoshi Sheriff Medic Princess Award Poster NFF Promoter 
Total Awards: 8

Send a message via ICQ to Princess Elle Send a message via AIM to Princess Elle Send a message via MSN to Princess Elle Send a message via Yahoo to Princess Elle Send a message via Skype™ to Princess Elle PSN ID: ElleFan98 Xbox Live Gamertag: Willgetonesoon
Nice ceramic stuff!

Can you edit your first pictures into spoilers? It makes it easier for people to load this page
Sometimes we fall...so
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus and live!
- Untitled Hymn (Come To Jesus) -
-Chris Rice-
Old 03-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
JamestheFreak
Great King of Freaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Fanning View Post
Nice ceramic stuff!

Can you edit your first pictures into spoilers? It makes it easier for people to load this page
i cant theres no edit button on my first post for some reason